2021 - FA or Draft - QB

Ward4HOF

I know I mentioned that I felt a QB would be brought in this year, but 43M and a couple others made a good point; while Duck & Rudolph were not ideal for backups this year...no rookie was going to be brought in and expected to be 'better' than them.

Next year, Ben doesn't have any 'lost money' if we move on from him, but even then, I doubt that happens...but, we need someone for 2022, and after reading about next years draft class, not to mention, some QB starters that might be on the hot seat this season, there's a good chance that a possible 9-10 teams next year may be looking at a new starter at the position.  And with 6 potential 1st Rd prospects (which will surely drop to about 3-4 by next season, barring a Joe Barrow meteoric rise), and another half-a-dozen QBs that will be available via cuts or UFA status, that are surely better than Duck or Rudolph, I think the Steelers would be hard pressed to not bring in either a better back-up for Ben, or, an heir-apparent for him from the rookie class.

I know every year, it looks like their will be some good QB prospects the next draft, but honestly, 2021 does really look to be a really good year to grab one...

Fields

Lawrence 

Ehlinger

Lance

Mond

Purdy

Newman

Costello

Then, some 'young-ish' #2s already in the NFL??

Stidham, Trubisky, Minshew, Prescott, or Carr

Thoughts??

Edited by Ward4HOF
spelling/grammar...ugh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

That said, isn't he going to be 24YO during his rookie season?? That's nearly 3 years older than Ben, when he came in...

But, if he puts up a monster year, might help him to drop to the 2nd Rd??  Or late 1st?

That’s true but if we get a talent like him at a discount due to his age I’d take it. He reminds me of Cam Newton when I watch him. Huge frame, looks slow/patient in his drop back, and has a little bit of an awkward/side release. But the dude has an arm and can run people over.

I will venture to say they will ride or die with Ben TIL he retires or he takes a huge dump this season.

Just my .02

Wouldnt surprise me if he plays well this year he gets another year added on his deal to take away some of his 2021 cap hit(40 mill or so) and push it into 2022.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I will venture to say they will ride or die with Ben TIL he retires or he takes a huge dump this season.

Just my .02

Wouldnt surprise me if he plays well this year he gets another year added on his deal to take away some of his 2021 cap hit(40 mill or so) and push it into 2022.

I guess I am hoping this past season was a wake-up call, of sorts; that life without a 'decent' QB pretty much stinks to high heaven, and that just by having a dominant defense, like we had, will not be enough to carry a sub-par QB.

My honest-to-goodness hope is that they have already identified a QB that they like...or that they will during this season (assuming this COVID business gets under control by then).  Maybe it's just me, but at this juncture (which I understand could change dramatically throughout the season), it appears that next years QB class will be a strong and deep class, and better to take one from a class like this, than take the chance that when Ben needs to be replaced, that that years class will have a QB that is both attainable, and ideal.

12 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Just my .02

I’m with you. I’m not touching QB until Ben is done completely. I want to maximize the 5 years of great QB contract and have the best talent possible around him before we draft him. Bring in a vet stopgap and give the new kid the job when he is ready. 

The only way I would change that mindset is if the wheels completely fell off the team this year and we ended up with a top 10 pick. Chances like that, for us, don’t come around often, so you do have to strike while the irons hot. But Sans a top 10 pick and the ability to get into the top 5 to take a top talent....I’m waiting. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m with you. I’m not touching QB until Ben is done completely. I want to maximize the 5 years of great QB contract and have the best talent possible around him before we draft him. Bring in a vet stopgap and give the new kid the job when he is ready. 

The only way I would change that mindset is if the wheels completely fell off the team this year and we ended up with a top 10 pick. Chances like that, for us, don’t come around often, so you do have to strike while the irons hot. But Sans a top 10 pick and the ability to get into the top 5 to take a top talent....I’m waiting. 

This.....

An added benefit to this is the fact that players drafted now on offense(and the last year or 2, especially at OL or WR) will be part of the core around the next QB.

That why I’m a big fan of going offense heavy the next offseason or 2...helps Ben now AND helps the next guy.

Having that core around the next QB on a rookie deal(if he doesn’t bust), is what allows you to have great depth and/or making that splash FA/trade to get you over the top.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Agree, I don’t want to see the Steelers be the Packers! The Packers passed on WR and defensive prospects that really could have helped them get to the Super Bowl and then in round 2 they took AJ Dillon, again passing on defensive talent and receivers that could have helped them get to the Super Bowl again before Rodgers retired. I hated their draft, and I’d hate to see the Steelers do the same next year or the year after.

I mean, their’s know doubt the Packers got good prospects with those picks, but they got for sure back up players when they could have drafted a starting WR to go opposite Adams or a starting level ILB/3-4DE to make their defense that much better.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Agree, I don’t want to see the Steelers be the Packers! The Packers passed on WR and defensive prospects that really could have helped them get to the Super Bowl and then in round 2 they took AJ Dillon, again passing on defensive talent and receivers that could have helped them get to the Super Bowl again before Rodgers retired. I hated their draft, and I’d hate to see the Steelers do the same next year or the year after.

I mean, their’s know doubt the Packers got good prospects with those picks, but they got for sure back up players when they could have drafted a starting WR to go opposite Adams or a starting level ILB/3-4DE to make their defense that much better.

I believe there is any easy way to both grab our QB of the future, as well as, continue to stockpile needed talent for near-term impact, as well...the Packers just went overboard, is all...it's not as if they could not have grabbed the DT, and more importantly, 'pass-catching', immediate-return/impact help for their roster...they just chose poorly, is all, by going with a power-back and H-Back/Fullback with their next 2 picks

Remember, in most cases, a QB is only ONE pick, not TWO, like the Packers spent. Just look at what we did this year...we were minus our 1st Rd pick, and still managed to bring a WR talent that should be able to provide immediate impact in our passing game (depending upon how bad this corona virus affects our ability to develop rookies, but of course, that's not a 'normal' situation) AND STs Return coverage units. We also brought in a multi-purpose weapon in the 4th, that also has pass catching ability.

In no way, shape, or form, am I advocating that 'TomBert' jeopardize our chances/opportunities to make this happen; what I AM advocating, is that they take a good long, hard look at this next class of QBs, virus pending, of course. If there's a guy they like, who's available, regardless of round, take him But before the draft, look at vet QBs that look like they will be available in FA, and attempt to game-plan a way for us to either prepare ourselves for 'now' with available Vet QBs that are better than Duck and Rudolph (shouldn't be too hard...), and, the eventual certainty that a 38 YO Ben is not going to last much longer. 

And before anyone brings up Brady, one needs to consider that with Brady's 285 gms vs Ben's 218 gms, Ben has been sacked  503 times vs Brady's 500.  And that's just sacks, not QB hits. I don't know if anyone has ever kept that stat or not, but if so, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben doubling Brady's numbers, as Brady goes right down...Ben is often hit 3...4...12 times before he goes down, lol!

• Like 1

Yeah, I don’t think the Packers should have traded up for Love, let a lone took him and I definitely think they took AJ Dillon a round too high but, he is a hell of a one cut runner and will be great 1-2 punch between him and Jones. And again, I think they took Josiah Degura a few rounds too early as well. I think Degura is a good player, but I think he could have been had in the 5th, possibility even a 6th round.

• Like 1

If the Steelers somehow finished with a top 10 pick in 2021, I guarantee they would CONSIDER drafting a Quarterback.  I dont think they would force it though.  If their top prospects at QB were gone and there were an elite CB or OT prospect, I think we would take one of them.

I feel like Ben will play out his contract, so I dont see any high priced free agent QB being signed prior to him retiring.  In 2022, I could see us targeting a mid range FA QB, depending who is available.

I think Steeler fans need to prepare for the very real possibility that we don't have a good replacement lined up by the time Ben retires.

• Like 1