2021 - FA or Draft - QB

Ward4HOF

I think the Steelers need to play out Ben then have a season of pure sucktude to reload the roster.  If they get lucky  and have a decent QB fall to the 20s next year then bonus but my bet is they need to be in the top 15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I think the Steelers need to play out Ben then have a season of pure sucktude to reload the roster.  If they get lucky  and have a decent QB fall to the 20s next year then bonus but my bet is they need to be in the top 15.

The issue a team like the Steelers is going to have is that their roster is already build to be mediocre even w/ poor QB play like they had last year after Ben, Conner, Tuitt and Juju were all hurt.

In order for the Steelers to probably remain one of the top teams in the NFL after Ben retires they’re going to have to get rid of good vets to be really bad - or not replace them when they retire - or to trade up for one of the top QBs in the draft.

Like, say Ben retires after this year and  next year is when the Steelers are going to take their QB of the future. They aren’t going to be the worst team in the NFL, but  the worst team in the NFL already could have a young QB they like which they are already developing - not likely - but possible.

Just for example, the Bengals could once again be the the worst team in the league and be looking to trade out, or a lot of people think the Jags will be the worst team in the league bc they’ve traded away or not re-signed most of their talent off their 2017-18 AFC Championship team. Now, the Jags love Minshew, so they could trade out of that pick and take a huge haul from the Steelers and then the Steelers could take Trevor Lawrence. I don’t think t he Jags will do that, but they may. Also, the Dolphins may once again be amongst the worst teams in the NFL and they may trade out and the Steelers could trade up to draft Justin Fields.

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, August4th said:

I just hope we don't go through years of horrible to at best "meh" QB play once ben leaves and we end up like the dolphins, skins, bucs, Jets etc..of the last 15 yrs

Or the Steelers of most of the 80s after Bradshaw retired. Really sucks for Redskins fans, we passed on Aaron Rodgers at #10 and took Carlos Rogers, we took the wrong Rogers and we finally got a 4,000 yd QB in Cousins but he wasn't the “owner's guy,” so we didn't re-sign him and we are starting all over again w/ Haskins since Alex Smith almost died from a broken leg.

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If the Steelers somehow finished with a top 10 pick in 2021, I guarantee they would CONSIDER drafting a Quarterback.  I dont think they would force it though.  If their top prospects at QB were gone and there were an elite CB or OT prospect, I think we would take one of them.

I feel like Ben will play out his contract, so I dont see any high priced free agent QB being signed prior to him retiring.  In 2022, I could see us targeting a mid range FA QB, depending who is available.

I think Steeler fans need to prepare for the very real possibility that we don't have a good replacement lined up by the time Ben retires.

Agreed but hopefully it won't be 20 long grueling years like last time.  

• Like 3