Bears sign S Tashaun Gipson

CBears019

20 minutes ago, Orange&Blue said:

It seems in the mid-2000s that the requirement to differentiate in the NFL was scrapped. So I expect they'll both just wear Gipson. That said there are some old NFL references that have full names on teammates. 

2947387578_6442d4008a_o.png

And I don't really care what they do.  I posted it as a joke.

If fans can tell the difference between a 6'1"/212lb DB and a 6'4"/260lb OLB they need an eye exam.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

We never seemed to worry much about who we had behind Matt Forte so why all the worry about who the #2 RB will be?  We signed Mike Davis to share carries last year then never used him.  Hell, we didn't even use Montgomery like he needs to be used.

Until someone can break Nagy of his addictions to pass plays and clever gadget running plays who the #2 RB will be is almost inconsequential.  How can you distribute runs when you call less than 20 of them in an entire game?

It’s only a concern for me from an injury replacement standpoint. And FWIW we invested in Chester Taylor, Marion Barber, Kevin Jones and Michael Bush as FA and drafted Garrett Wolfe, Ka’Deem Carey and Jeremy Langford during Forte’s tenure here for that backup role. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s only a concern for me from an injury replacement standpoint. And FWIW we invested in Chester Taylor, Marion Barber, Kevin Jones and Michael Bush as FA and drafted Garrett Wolfe, Ka’Deem Carey and Jeremy Langford during Forte’s tenure here for that backup role. 

IMHO Ka'Deem Carey was a far more capable RB than we think and so was our AP.

With the exception of Wolfe we did far worse with most of those FAs we signed and never got value out of just as we failed to do with Mike Davis.  I'm not opposed to picking up a vagabond vet RB somewhere along the line but let's see what the two rookies can do and maybe by now Nall has earned more than just his usual preseason carries.  He needs blocking but he has good vision and he can run well enough.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

IMHO Ka'Deem Carey was a far more capable RB than we think and so was our AP.

With the exception of Wolfe we did far worse with most of those FAs we signed and never got value out of just as we failed to do with Mike Davis.  I'm not opposed to picking up a vagabond vet RB somewhere along the line but let's see what the two rookies can do and maybe by now Nall has earned more than just his usual preseason carries.  He needs blocking but he has good vision and he can run well enough.

I’ve never been a Nall guy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

We legit have to cut like 6 TE's haha.....we will have the roster spot for a vet RB

I do want to keep Holtz as a TE/FB player. I'd like to see someone do a good job of lead blocking for Montgomery. He doesn't have breakaway speed but give him a bit of space and he can put a move on someone to get a few extra yards at least. 

• Like 2

I think the reason we go for guys with experience at both free and strong safety is because Pagano wants his base defence to be Cover 4...I think the pick of Jaylon Johnson further backs that up...have all 4 guys back there with ball skills playing quarters and build a great pass rush and your really on to something.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think the reason we go for guys with experience at both free and strong safety is because Pagano wants his base defence to be Cover 4...I think the pick of Jaylon Johnson further backs that up...have all 4 guys back there with ball skills playing quarters and build a great pass rush and your really on to something.

Could be very similar to the Seahawks in 13...

I wonder if this is just the way Pagano likes his secondary, with 2 FS type guys with more ball skills than tackling skills, rather than 1 center fielder and one more box SS-enforcer type. Anyone remember his previous teams and how they operated at Safety?

Regardless, hope it doesn't impact Ejacks too much, since he already had a down year with HHCD next to him vs Amos.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I'm as big a Monty fan as there is, but I am not ready to enrirely depend on only him and an UDFA !

We need a very good backup vet. 

5 hours ago, Epyon said:

I wonder if this is just the way Pagano likes his secondary, with 2 FS type guys with more ball skills than tackling skills, rather than 1 center fielder and one more box SS-enforcer type. Anyone remember his previous teams and how they operated at Safety?

Regardless, hope it doesn't impact Ejacks too much, since he already had a down year with HHCD next to him vs Amos.

Pagano has - at one point - used the dime package more than any other defense iirc. 

I don't mind having 2 FS guys, but if so you need 3 big uglies on the line to keep the LBs clean imo. Maybe Nichols can be that 3rd guy but he wasn't that guy last year. I'd like one more 330+ pounder to put in, have Hicks and the other more athletic of the two (Goldman or the FA) move at DE and leave the least athletic at NT.

OR... put Hicks at NT and the other two at DE to switch it up. The big boys on the outside can focus on turning people in and two tapping, then Hicks can be a nightmare when in the middle. If they pass he can better collapse a pocket than anyone else on the line too. Seems to offset the weakness from having two huge DEs some too