Bears sign S Tashaun Gipson

CBears019

Gipson was the first choice on my list of FA's so I'm happy with the signing. 

He's a good fit here. He plays best in the box when he doesn't have to overthink what he's being asked to do and playing besides Fuller or Johnson on the outside with EJ over the top will only help. 

We didn't have enough draft picks this year to address the SS position because we had much more pressing needs and we don't need a star to play SS, so it makes sense to bring in another solid FA player on a 1 year deal who can flourish behind a defense that will get the most out of him until we DO have the resources to address the position long-term.  

On 5/1/2020 at 10:48 PM, Epyon said:

I wonder if this is just the way Pagano likes his secondary, with 2 FS type guys with more ball skills than tackling skills, rather than 1 center fielder and one more box SS-enforcer type. Anyone remember his previous teams and how they operated at Safety?

Regardless, hope it doesn't impact Ejacks too much, since he already had a down year with HHCD next to him vs Amos.

I want Pagano to go back to a Fangio-esque defense where he had both EJ and Amos playing both safety positions interchangeably based on the play. On one play, EJ would play the deep middle and Amos would play underneath and they would switch on the play depending on the offensive formation and personnel. 

• Like 4

On 4/30/2020 at 6:05 PM, beardown3231 said:

Clayton Geathers (still a FA) would've been better signings.

You haven't watched Geathers play have you? 

What parts of his game have you seen that tells you that he is good fit for this defense? Or hell, even a good safety at all? Which games and snaps? 

*Eagerly awaits for response because he was on my radar too until I actually went back and watched him play*

Edited by JustAnotherFan

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You haven't watched Geathers play have you? 

What parts of his game have you seen that tells you that he is good fit for this defense? Or hell, even a good safety at all? Which games and snaps? 

*Eagerly awaits for response because he was on my radar too until I actually went back and watched him play*

I actually went to a Colts game last year. My brother lives there and regularly gets free tickets. I like how physical he is. He definitely prefers to play ITB. By no means do I think he's spectacular (and that's probably why he remains a FA) but I just think the way he plays, wants to play & familiarity with Pagano combined with how we saw EJ less around the ball last year with another roaming S leads me to believe a more conventional SS fits this D better.

FWIW, it's not necessarily Geathers. It's just the fact that he's likely the best SS available. I wish he wasn't always hurt though

After watching Gipson play more after my initial take, I do think he's a notch above HHCD and it may lead to more turnovers as a D, so that's exciting. I'd just rather see EJ go off again because when he's that good, the D is at a whole different level.

Edited by beardown3231

22 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Gipson was the first choice on my list of FA's so I'm happy with the signing. 

He's a good fit here. He plays best in the box when he doesn't have to overthink what he's being asked to do and playing besides Fuller or Johnson on the outside with EJ over the top will only help. 

We didn't have enough draft picks this year to address the SS position because we had much more pressing needs and we don't need a star to play SS, so it makes sense to bring in another solid FA player on a 1 year deal who can flourish behind a defense that will get the most out of him until we DO have the resources to address the position long-term.  

I want Pagano to go back to a Fangio-esque defense where he had both EJ and Amos playing both safety positions interchangeably based on the play. On one play, EJ would play the deep middle and Amos would play underneath and they would switch on the play depending on the offensive formation and personnel. 

He says he is not a ‘box safety’ and is most comfortable patrolling deep middle, but knows that is where E Jackson got his rep so he is willing to do what is asked of him.