Redskins decline Reuben Foster’s 5th year option

turtle28

I still think they should have exercised his 5th year option bc they could cut him after this year still if he couldn’t play bc of his knee. I really hope he makes it back though and earns a second contract for us - even if it is just a one-year prove it deal for the 2021 season. I think most likely he’s a PUP guy that could join the 53 man roster in November but, we’ll see. 

And, I leave you with this. Let’s hope he gets back to this form. Everyone should like this except for @PARROTHEAD

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He beats women.  Cut this POS.

Can we keep this on football? I hope this is a drunk comment. It isn’t like Foster just got here, we had those discussions a year and a half ago. He’s here now and, people can make mistakes and learn from them.

From all reports he and his ex were both bad from each other, he was never convicted of anything despite what was reported and he only had issues with that one woman. He’s never had issues with others. Now, if this was a recurring problem, I would say yes, but he’s had no issues like that since we signed him.

Time to move on to just football. Find something else to complain about. That shouldn’t be hard, you always do.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Unlike Peterson. Wasnt Reubens accusations found to be untrue? His ex lied or something.

Here is a recap:

She accuses him of DV

He says he is innocent and goes to court to fight it

She says under oath that she made the whole thing up because he found out she got in a fight with another woman (alleged cell phone video as proof, never became public) and that the bruises etc she had were all from that fight. She said that he tried to break up with her after he saw the video. She claims that he grabbed her to get her out of his house when she wouldn't leave. then accuses him of throwing her dog maliciously. then she went outside and flagged down some random person to use their phone to call 911. (I remember hearing the 911 call, she was super calm and it was very strange)

He obviously wins the criminal case 

49ers tell him to stay the F away from this woman

49ers go on the road to tampa, somehow she ends up in the team hotel alone in a room with him the night before a game. she alleges that he slapped her. So, even if he was innocent, he was/is so unbelievably dumb that he brought her to tampa to stay in the team hotel and put himself in a position to get accused again. mind boggling. innocent or guilty, stay the hell away from this woman. She obviously had daddy issues and the relationship was probably much more complex than 'he beat her'. 

49ers cut him

then a story comes out about how there was a 3rd DV incident after he won his court case, but before tampa

Redskins claim foster off waivers

the very next day the Kareem hunt video got released

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, N4L said:

Here is a recap:

She accuses him of DV

He says he is innocent and goes to court to fight it

She says under oath that she made the whole thing up because he found out she got in a fight with another woman (alleged cell phone video as proof, never became public) and that the bruises etc she had were all from that fight. She said that he tried to break up with her after he saw the video. She claims that he grabbed her to get her out of his house when she wouldn't leave. then accuses him of throwing her dog maliciously. then she went outside and flagged down some random person to use their phone to call 911. (I remember hearing the 911 call, she was super calm and it was very strange)

He obviously wins the criminal case 

49ers tell him to stay the F away from this woman

49ers go on the road to tampa, somehow she ends up in the team hotel alone in a room with him the night before a game. she alleges that he slapped her. So, even if he was innocent, he was/is so unbelievably dumb that he brought her to tampa to stay in the team hotel and put himself in a position to get accused again. mind boggling. innocent or guilty, stay the hell away from this woman. She obviously had daddy issues and the relationship was probably much more complex than 'he beat her'. 

49ers cut him

then a story comes out about how there was a 3rd DV incident after he won his court case, but before tampa

Redskins claim foster off waivers

the very next day the Kareem hunt video got released

And the last year and a half he’s “stayed away from that woman” & had no other issues. Time to move on.

• Like 1

And from a purely football perspective, this makes perfect sense.  He had a horrific knee injury, and a shoulder that was hurt coming out of college that looked like he was holding it from falling off in 2018.  I'm not expecting much from Foster, but to guarantee his fifth year contract money would be stupid and a move worthy of only Bruce Allen. 

• Like 2

I think either way if he produces next years option would have been too rich!!! Unless he comes out and plays pro bowl or all pro football I think after this year you can resign him to a good deal. He has to be thankful for the opportunity!!! I believe even if he balls out what he would have made is more then what resigning him would have cost so the business financial side makes sense. Also if we resign him at a higher rate I’m sure there will be language in the deal so he can’t slip in his personal life. So for that part it’s better then taking the option as well. I really pray this guy has his personal life together as we all for whatever degree have made mistakes. Now I hope he has paid his dues and can become the all pro potential player everyone clearly saw on film at bama

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Why would we exercise an option on a guy whose accomplished nothing here. No free rides.

You do it bc it locks you into a 5th year should he have a good year, then you don't have to worry about a contract extension next year. Again, like with RG3, you can still cut Foster next March and end up not owing him the 5th year extension. We gave  Rg3 the 5th year extension and he just rode the pine in 2015 and then we cut him in March of 2016 so we didn't owe him that 5th year and what would have been $16 million for RG3 in 2016.

I just thought I this though, given Foster’s injury it would be extremely risky to give him the 5th year extension bc, if you remember a player can still get the 5th year extension if they have an injury that doesn't allow them to play. So, in that case Foster could have that type of injury still, we just don't know at this point. So, when you throw that in there, that's probably the main reason they didn't do it. As you said he hasn't earned it, this is not a Jon Allen situation.

Edited by turtle28

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You do it bc it locks you into a 5th year should he have a good year, then you don't have to worry about a contract extension next year. Again, like with RG3, you can still cut Foster next March and end up not owing him the 5th year extension. We gave  Rg3 the 5th year extension and he just rode the pine in 2015 and then we cut him in March of 2016 so we didn't owe him that 5th year and what would have been $16 million for RG3 in 2016.

I just thought I this though, given Foster’s injury it would be extremely risky to give him the 5th year extension bc, if you remember a player can still get the 5th year extension if they have an injury that doesn't allow them to play. So, in that case Foster could have that type of injury still, we just don't know at this point. So, when you throw that in there, that's probably the main reason they didn't do it. As you said he hasn't earned it, this is not a Jon Allen situation.

No you can’t. That rule changed. If you pick up the 5th year option you can no longer rescind it. Either way, I probably would’ve picked up the option. We’re going to have so much cap space next year that it wouldn’t really matter but I totally understand why they didn’t. Make him earn it. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

No you can’t. That rule changed. If you pick up the 5th year option you can no longer rescind it. Either way, I probably would’ve picked up the option. We’re going to have so much cap space next year that it wouldn’t really matter but I totally understand why they didn’t. Make him earn it. 

Oh ok thanks, I didn't know that. I disagree about having so much cap space and we should've just done it anyways. We don't want to put ourselves into a Alex Smith/Trent Williams/Jordan Reed situation like we had last year with 3 players who never played a down for us last year closing us $45 million in cap space. You don't take cap space lightly, or you shouldn't. 

If Foster doesn't make it back then, he’ll be gone next year. Paying Foster $10 million next year to not play again bc of his knee or just to be a backup level player for us makes no sense at all. With that $10 million you could add a good LB in FA or two above average players to your roster plus, you can use that money to re-sign your own.

If you can't rescind the 5th year option anymore then they definitely made the right choice.