Redskins decline Reuben Foster’s 5th year option

turtle28

Even before this injury Foster had injury problems and while he flashed on the field he had plenty of bad outings too.  Crazy to commit this money to someone who has never played a full nfl season much less one with us.  

Plus it would go in the face of everything Ron Rivera has done to date.  RR won't commit to anyone.  He has signed endless one year deals.  He is supposedly making this an evaluation year.  If we are going to put our money into securing players for future, then Foster is pretty low on the list given he hasn't played a down for us and also his injuries and character concerns.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Oh ok thanks, I didn't know that. I disagree about having so much cap space and we should've just done it anyways. We don't want to put ourselves into a Alex Smith/Trent Williams/Jordan Reed situation like we had last year with 3 players who never played a down for us last year closing us $45 million in cap space. You don't take cap space lightly, or you shouldn't. 

If Foster doesn't make it back then, he’ll be gone next year. Paying Foster $10 million next year to not play again bc of his knee or just to be a backup level player for us makes no sense at all. With that $10 million you could add a good LB in FA or two above average players to your roster plus, you can use that money to re-sign your own.

If you can't rescind the 5th year option anymore then they definitely made the right choice.

I get what you’re saying but the team will probably start out with close to $110M in cap space. We both know they aren’t spending big in free agency so it’s pretty much worth taking the chance if you aren’t going to spend the money anyway. And unless I’m mistaken the only deal they really need to take care of in the off-season is Scherff. Kerrigan I guess but I’d let him walk. 

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I get what you’re saying but the team will probably start out with close to $110M in cap space. We both know they aren’t spending big in free agency so it’s pretty much worth taking the chance if you aren’t going to spend the money anyway. And unless I’m mistaken the only deal they really need to take care of in the off-season is Scherff. Kerrigan I guess but I’d let him walk. 

And that cap space will be great if we decide to keep Scherff and Allen plus add a few FAs if we need too. And again, I’d rather not have to give Foster $10 million of that just to see if he can still still play football next year. He’s not worth $10 million a year at this point, actually few LBs are unless they’re 3-4 OLB rush LBs who get near or over 10 sacks a year.

We don’t even know if he can play, you can’t guarantee a player $10 mil that you don’t know if he can be a pro bowl caliber player and Foster wasn’t even that in San Fran when he was healthy. At this point, it’s hard to argue that Foster is even worth is $1.7 million this season, but I hope he proves he’s worth it.

Also, we have no clue what they’ll do next offseason or what they’ll need to do in free agency or the draft. We have a lot of young players that could develop and shock us all. This is the first year of Rivera being here, he’s evaluating what he has and it’s the smart move. He’s already gotten rid of two players who didn’t want to play for him w/o getting huge pay raises that they hadn’t earned. You can’t compare this offseason to next offseason after Rivera will have been our HC for a year, heck you can’t compare this one to any in the history of the NFL.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

No you can’t. That rule changed. If you pick up the 5th year option you can no longer rescind it. 

This is true, but the change starts to take effect with 2018 draft picks. 2017 draft picks like Foster still operate under the old rules, so that 5th year money doesn’t become fully guaranteed for him until March next year. 

The catch, however, is that while it’s not fully guaranteed now, it is fully guaranteed for injury. If he can’t pass a physical next March, then that money locks in (much like what happened with Alex Smith and his injury guarantees, where we couldn’t get out of the guaranteed years before they became guaranteed because he was injured). 

The problem that creates is that it creates a pretty big financial incentive for him NOT to work towards getting himself cleared. Somebody will owe you $10M next March, and all you have to do to earn it is not make it back to full health from your devastating knee injury before that time?? That rehab schedule just started looking real inconvenient and unappealing. 

I want to find a way to keep Reuben on this roster. I think he’s by far the most talented LB in the organization (excluding Thomas Davis because he’s 1000 years old now) and probably the only one I personally think has a good shot at being a long-term starter. But I think they had to decline the option. They need to continue to give him every incentive to work his way back into NFL shape (and behave himself, for that matter), and I think exercising that option actually does the exact opposite. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This is true, but the change starts to take effect with 2018 draft picks. 2017 draft picks like Foster still operate under the old rules, so that 5th year money doesn’t become fully guaranteed for him until March next year. 

The catch, however, is that while it’s not fully guaranteed now, it is fully guaranteed for injury. If he can’t pass a physical next March, then that money locks in (much like what happened with Alex Smith and his injury guarantees, where we couldn’t get out of the guaranteed years before they became guaranteed because he was injured). 

The problem that creates is that it creates a pretty big financial incentive for him NOT to work towards getting himself cleared. Somebody will owe you $10M next March, and all you have to do to earn it is not make it back to full health from your devastating knee injury before that time?? That rehab schedule just started looking real inconvenient and unappealing. 

I want to find a way to keep Reuben on this roster. I think he’s by far the most talented LB in the organization (excluding Thomas Davis because he’s 1000 years old now) and probably the only one I personally think has a good shot at being a long-term starter. But I think they had to decline the option. They need to continue to give him every incentive to work his way back into NFL shape (and behave himself, for that matter), and I think exercising that option actually does the exact opposite. 

Spot on and Reuben Foster’s reason for working his butt off to become a good or great starting LB is still millions of dollars no matter what way you look at it. He knows his NFL career is on the line this year and definitely in 2021 if he can’t get back to being a starter this year.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Oh trust me, I knew my opinion would be an unfavorable one but if he plays this year and he’s great we’re screwed next off-season. Do you pay him or franchise tag him? Either way that’s going to eat a large chunk of cap and if he’s great you’re looking at $15M a year probably. The only reason I even suggested it is because of our cap situation next year. Knowing the team no longer dabbles in free agency taking on Fosters fifth-year option just didn’t seem to be that big of a deal to me. 

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Oh trust me, I knew my opinion would be an unfavorable one but if he plays this year and he’s great we’re screwed next off-season. Do you pay him or franchise tag him? Either way that’s going to eat a large chunk of cap and if he’s great you’re looking at $15M a year probably. The only reason I even suggested it is because of our cap situation next year. Knowing the team no longer dabbles in free agency taking on Fosters fifth-year option just didn’t seem to be that big of a deal to me. 

If he balls out this year, we could franchise him or re-sign him to a long term deal. At least at that point we’d be making the decision knowing that he was coming off this season being a good to great starting LB.

If Foster plays at a pro bowl level this year I don’t think anyone would have a problem on giving him a long term deal similar to say what Jordan Hicks got from the Cardinals last year:

• 4 years, $36 million with $20 million in guarantees & a $12 million signing bonus. Hicks’ cap hit was $6.4 million in 2019 and will be $10.5 million this year and he obviously got the $12 million up front for his signing bonus.

So, if Foster earns a starting job and plays well this year, he could make out better then the $10 million 5th year option. And, we would have had him locked up until 2025 and his cap hit in 2021 will be about 1/2 of what it would be if we had given him the 5th year option.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Has Foster even stepped foot on the field since he's come here?

No, and that’s another obvious reason we made the right reason to not give him the 5th year option which would have cost us $10 million.

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If he balls out this year, we could franchise him or re-sign him to a long term deal. At least at that point we’d be making the decision knowing that he was coming off this season being a good to great starting LB.

If Foster plays at a pro bowl level this year I don’t think anyone would have a problem on giving him a long term deal similar to say what Jordan Hicks got from the Cardinals last year:

• 4 years, $36 million with $20 million in guarantees & a $12 million signing bonus. Hicks’ cap hit was $6.4 million in 2019 and will be $10.5 million this year and he obviously got the $12 million up front for his signing bonus.

So, if Foster earns a starting job and plays well this year, he could make out better then the $10 million 5th year option. And, we would have had him locked up until 2025 and his cap hit in 2021 will be about 1/2 of what it would be if we had given him the 5th year option.

One would hope he would be willing to come back to the Redskins because they were the organization who gave him a second chance.  I do like that we've heard nothing from him in regards to "off the field" issues, and being home and only able to rehab last season, one would think that would be the time he could get in trouble.  

I just have my doubts he can be anything close to the play he flashed in his first season.  If it's not the knee, then it's the shoulder.  If it's not the shoulder.......what else might be an underlying issue because he's learned to play with the injury?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Would be nice!!! Like Charles and Foster have the chance to get their real second chances here. I think it’s crazy how far Foster has come. He and Alex like there’s some real crazy rehabs going on here. And Bryce Love clearly has a heck of a injury I didn’t actually think we would pick him so I just went off the draft grade I had on him. But there’s some real talent on the mend. If these guys actually come back stay healthy and produce for this team that could be huge. I don’t expect much of anything but you never know

• Like 1