Coach's Halftime Thoughts - Week 3

Dallas94Ware

Some X and O thoughts, coach observations and deeper, big picture ponderances from your resident former coach and scout.

1. No one can question Palmers accuracy. Great throw on the early TD and a great route concept. Heath was forced to aid Brown, who was beaten, or follow Fitz and leave him open. Either choice would have resulted in a TD. Palmer made a great throw with a split second decision.

2. I am telling you all, im not crazy. Collins belongs inside. Green belongs outside. We are forcing a good space player to play with power and a good pull and power player to play in space. 

3. Lee is not attacking. He is holding ground and wrapping up. He needs to attack and drive on the ball like we have expected and seen from him.

4. Paea is capitalizing in the openings caused by the attention given to Lawrence. Crawford at RE however is makong my head hurt. Zero push on the run, zero burst off the snap. Line play Defensively is very up and down.

5. Three games in a row this team has yielded so little in the downhill sled push blocking of the zone stretch. Green is ineffective here as is Collins. Isolate the nose and drive the ball in a wedge between the nose and the end, or bring in a FB to dig out the linebacker, or go wide angle and pull Hannah across the formation to lead the way. Beating your head into a wall when its doing nothing is just not going to cut it this week.

6. Jourdan Lewis is playing quality zone coverage. I did not expect this big of a jump from last week to this week from him. Passes on his man at the right time, holds ground when he should, breaks on the ball at the right moment, and isnt afraid to tackle. Way to step up. Play like this and this teams future at DB looks bright.

7. Lee is beaten too easily on the seams. That is so unlike him and its for 2 straight weeks now. Between that and his lack of driving on the ball, i wonder if hes playing hurt or trying to compensate too much for lack of trust from his Mike.

8. Speaking of the Mike. Jaylon Smith tracks the ball and is always in pursuit of the play. But hes taking bad angles, and twice now has passed his man off in zone way too early. Hitchens is starting to be quite sorely missed.

9. Jared Veldheer plays with no balance. Lawrence needs to really capitalize in the second half by utilizing leverage and making an impact on the game vs someone who cannot handle the power and push with poor leverage.

10. Fredrick let his man, THREE TIMES, blow right through him on the run. Martin, once. Green, three times. Tyron Smith is getting push but isnt driving his man out. Theres no cutbacks and the inside is never an option with Fredrick, Green and Martin all blowing their assignment. Want to fix this run game? Fix the line. My opinion, swap Collins and Green. 

11. Load up and throw it deep to Dez. Let Dez go make a play. Our best two weapons are amounting to nothing. Bad play calling, bad blocking, zero yards.

12. You know theres a problem when a third round rookie is playing the best out of everyone in your secondary. Byron Jones looks lost in center field, though looks sharp isolated on a TE. Heath isnt playing bad but his hips make it hard to rely on him in isolated coverage. Brown is giving up good releases consistently. Xavier Woods looks good in short zone coverage but is going to be a liability when isolated same as Heath.

13. Id like to see some split end formations with Witten split and get Beasley involved from the slot on the opposite side. If this defense is going to play man and blitz, one of the two should win their matchup once or twice and force Arizona to account for them with an extra DB. This could then also help the run game.

14. Dak looks flustered. He is consistently under pressure, and he is throwing rushed and playing hesistant. He needs to settle down. Easier said than done with that pressure, but we need some poise.

15. On Zekes big run, if not for a poor tackling attempt, there would have been another short loss with Martin making a TERRIBLE read and doubling up inside instead of setting up on his outside shoulder with an obvious rush coming from that side.

16. Id like to see Collins sent out on an isolated screen block on a quick screen to Dez outside. If youre going to put Collins on the edge, USE HIM.

17. Great move by Chandler Jones against Tyron Smith on that sack. Looked like Tyron set up for a bull rush, and never set his hips for an inside spin move. Uncharacteristic anticipation setup by Tyron, who is usually far more reactionary than anticipatory.

18. Good playcall at the endzone on Daks TD run. And good play design. Like to see the creativity to isolate Golden and let Dak make the read while running the play with a classic sled block like a zone stretch. I was as fooled as the defense was. Good read by Dak and good effort. Hopefully this settles him down now that he has some adrenaline in his system. 

As always I will add end of game thoughts and conclusions.

Post game add ons:

1. Dak Prescott was compared to McNabb by Collinsworth on the national broadcoast. As a Cowboys fan I quickly went to my defensive stance of No Flippin Way. But you know what? Its not a bad comparison. Maybe not my first choice for a comparison, but definitely not a bad one. 

2. The more I watch Collins the more im confused what this staff sees of him there. No Im not making millions as an NFL coach and yeah im a washed-up-never-has-been, but give me a damn break - Collins is awful at that tackle spot. No hip work, sloppy kick out, and uses his hands worse than my ex-wife. This guy needs to be back inside where he can play with power, limit his need to reset his hips and form, and use his speed around the edge on the pull to be the star we know he can be.

3. The way Arizona "protected" Palmer against the money 44 rush (3 man line, 8 in coverage) was by continuing to allow Veldheer to play Lawrence one on one at the edge and doubling up on Crawford or Mayowa on the opposite end, while the RG held ground and did nothing to help. Either the RG was lazy knowing he had no one lining up over him.and chose not to help Veldheer, or that Arizona coaching staff is absolutely blind and oblivious to the fact Veldheer stood little chance.

4. Great move though by lining up Lawrence wide and outside Veldheer's outer shoulder with the other two DLs lining up over the middle. It did allow Lawrence more opportunity than typically is afforded by a 3 man rush. However, that RG needs to step up and help his teammate out and that coaching staffcstill needs to adjust protections against that 3 man front. DO NOT EXPECT IT TO BE THAT EASY EVER AGAIN - most coaches would call a t.o. and tell their QB where to assign protections against such a rush. At least by the second sack.

5. I dont understand what the hate on Jeff Heath is all about. He played pretty well. He hits hard, covers decently, and plays with smarts. He may not be the most physically gifted, but he makes smart reads in his zone and you can tell he is well studied in how he plays certain route concepts. He is no more a liability than Church or Wilcox were; and at some point you have to makendue with a low value player at a low value position. Cant have filet mignon every meal you know?

6. I want to see a few downs of Charlton lining up at the 3 spot. I saw something in how he used his hands last night that reminded me of Tyrone Crawford. Maybe, just maybe, he can make an impact in rotation of Collins when he needs a breather.

7. Jaylon Smith leads the team in tackles but that does not mean much if his tackles are all for decent gains. He is not driving through the ball, hes not attacking the lanes, and he is always in pursuit or going for a pop. He is a liability. He is either too rusty, too uneducated or too lacking in confidence to be out there this much. We need to see more Durant and less Smith for now, and hope Hitchens returns soon. Smith is going to cost this team a game going for big hits with no wrap up or punch through, some runner is going to bounce right off that attempt and sprint free late in a 4th quarter. Mark my words.

8. The best part of Lewis at corner is how he is already playing with good instincts in zone coverage. For a guy who is really more of a mix of zone and man ability and lacking experience in shell and soft zone assignments, he has already shown tremendous improvement and really stood out as this teams best cover guy on the outside. Paired with guys like Awuzie and Byron, who can cover the slot in man or zone, while playing back in a shell also, with Brown manning the opposite side, this team may be able to actually play a cover 3 for a change. Possibly even a quarters cover package - for the first time in Marinelli's tenure here. And while Marinelli is known for his cover 2, tampa 2 and robber zones, Tampa Bay didnt win that SB playing such basic looks 70 snaps a game - cover 3 and quarters were as big a part of his gameplan as robber man was during most of his time in Dallas.

9. Dallas ran zero split end concepts this week. I still foresee it being a big part of this offense in the future, but I suppose playing against guys like Matheiu and Budda Baker make it tough to split out a TE or use Beasley in a split concept.

10. It looked like Zeke was facing 8 in the box and 9 even, but in reality that is the typical Arizona look. They always play Matheiu close like a linebacker, he is the best robber zone guy in the league. You never know when he is coming, dropping off, robbing or playing a man. Its a tough call as a QB to check in or out of a run against this look because Arizona disguises it so well. That is why they have been a formidable D for the last several years.

46 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Post game add ons:

1. Dak Prescott was compared to McNabb by Collinsworth on the national broadcoast. As a Cowboys fan I quickly went to my defensive stance of No Flippin Way. But you know what? Its not a bad comparison. Maybe not my first choice for a comparison, but definitely not a bad one. 

2. The more I watch Collins the more im confused what this staff sees of him there. No Im not making millions as an NFL coach and yeah im a washed-up-never-has-been, but give me a damn break - Collins is awful at that tackle spot. No hip work, sloppy kick out, and uses his hands worse than my ex-wife. This guy needs to be back inside where he can play with power, limit his need to reset his hips and form, and use his speed around the edge on the pull to be the star we know he can be.

3. The way Arizona "protected" Palmer against the money 44 rush (3 man line, 8 in coverage) was by continuing to allow Veldheer to play Lawrence one on one at the edge and doubling up on Crawford or Mayowa on the opposite end, while the RG held ground and did nothing to help. Either the RG was lazy knowing he had no one lining up over him.and chose not to help Veldheer, or that Arizona coaching staff is absolutely blind and oblivious to the fact Veldheer stood little chance.

4. Great move though by lining up Lawrence wide and outside Veldheer's outer shoulder with the other two DLs lining up over the middle. It did allow Lawrence more opportunity than typically is afforded by a 3 man rush. However, that RG needs to step up and help his teammate out and that coaching staffcstill needs to adjust protections against that 3 man front. DO NOT EXPECT IT TO BE THAT EASY EVER AGAIN - most coaches would call a t.o. and tell their QB where to assign protections against such a rush. At least by the second sack.

5. I dont understand what the hate on Jeff Heath is all about. He played pretty well. He hits hard, covers decently, and plays with smarts. He may not be the most physically gifted, but he makes smart reads in his zone and you can tell he is well studied in how he plays certain route concepts. He is no more a liability than Church or Wilcox were; and at some point you have to makendue with a low value player at a low value position. Cant have filet mignon every meal you know?

6. I want to see a few downs of Charlton lining up at the 3 spot. I saw something in how he used his hands last night that reminded me of Tyrone Crawford. Maybe, just maybe, he can make an impact in rotation of Collins when he needs a breather.

7. Jaylon Smith leads the team in tackles but that does not mean much if his tackles are all for decent gains. He is not driving through the ball, hes not attacking the lanes, and he is always in pursuit or going for a pop. He is a liability. He is either too rusty, too uneducated or too lacking in confidence to be out there this much. We need to see more Durant and less Smith for now, and hope Hitchens returns soon. Smith is going to cost this team a game going for big hits with no wrap up or punch through, some runner is going to bounce right off that attempt and sprint free late in a 4th quarter. Mark my words.

8. The best part of Lewis at corner is how he is already playing with good instincts in zone coverage. For a guy who is really more of a mix of zone and man ability and lacking experience in shell and soft zone assignments, he has already shown tremendous improvement and really stood out as this teams best cover guy on the outside. Paired with guys like Awuzie and Byron, who can cover the slot in man or zone, while playing back in a shell also, with Brown manning the opposite side, this team may be able to actually play a cover 3 for a change. Possibly even a quarters cover package - for the first time in Marinelli's tenure here. And while Marinelli is known for his cover 2, tampa 2 and robber zones, Tampa Bay didnt win that SB playing such basic looks 70 snaps a game - cover 3 and quarters were as big a part of his gameplan as robber man was during most of his time in Dallas.

9. Dallas ran zero split end concepts this week. I still foresee it being a big part of this offense in the future, but I suppose playing against guys like Matheiu and Budda Baker make it tough to split out a TE or use Beasley in a split concept.

10. It looked like Zeke was facing 8 in the box and 9 even, but in reality that is the typical Arizona look. They always play Matheiu close like a linebacker, he is the best robber zone guy in the league. You never know when he is coming, dropping off, robbing or playing a man. Its a tough call as a QB to check in or out of a run against this look because Arizona disguises it so well. That is why they have been a formidable D for the last several years.

I have noticed the bold but hope your wrong long term. Will wait and see on this one.

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

I have noticed the bold but hope your wrong long term. Will wait and see on this one.

I hope long term he learns, or fixes whatever it is making him play this way. It could be the foot, it could be lack of training and rookie mistakes, could be playing nfl football how he played college ball, could be a lot of things or a combination of things.

The important thing is that he learns to do better than that, especially if he is to play Mike in this kind of system. If not, i can see him rolling out to Sam and being a spot duty player. And we didnt draft him for that - and he has far bigger potential than that.

Just now, matt79511 said:

I feel like Jaylon didn't play very much in the second half. Haven't seen the snap counts but it seemed like we played 3-2-6 in most passing situations with Durant next to Lee.

Correct. Less Jaylon in the second half.

But when out there, he was still struggling.

I remember one particular hit he delivered, Collinsworth said "nice hit by Jaylon Smith" but made no comment on how the runner wasnt phased by it, Jaylon went flying off him, the guy got a 1st down, and Byron Jones cleaned it up before it got bad.

3 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Way too early to be concerned about Jaylon. Has growing pains and catching up to do, but after 3 games and considering his injury I think he's gaining ground

Im more concerned with him having a huge role on the D while he learns from his growing pains and rookie mistakes.

This d is not an elite unit by any stretch, and having a big liability playing Mike is going to burn us. Mike is too essential to this system. If it were Sam, fine. But his role is too large for the knucklehead errors. We need Hitchens back.

Archived