Jump to content
sshle_

Justin Fields Will Be Better Than Trevor Lawrence

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, sshle_ said:

Also, for what I've seen so far, I'd take Trey Lance over Trevor Lawrence too. Lance will need to sit for a year and develop, but his legs will get him some success in the NFL. 

He's similar to Lawrence in every other category, with just a a 20% better deep ball. 

Lol you're talking out of your ***. 20%, tell me how you came up with that number. Did you counted throws? 

You're just trying to look cool by being the outlaw in saying Lawrence is not that good.

 

Well I got news for you boy, nobody buys it AND Lawrence IS the real deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sshle_ said:

I've watched both these guys throw and from an accuracy standpoint, Fields makes much better throws than Lawrence.  He also sees the field better than Lawrence does. 

A lot of what Lawrence does reminds me of Jameis Winston coming out of FSU. He will not be able to beat teams in the NFL by just throwing deep balls on the outside. 

I'd also say that Fields reminds me a lot of an more athletic McNabb. 

Lawrence's comparisons:

Floor: Tim Tebow

Middle: Jameis Winston

Ceiling: Athletic Matthew Stafford (very slim chance I see him reaching this.)

Field's comparisons:

Floor: Donovan McNabb

Ceiling: Aaron Rodgers 

Thoughts? 

No.

Lawrence's comp is a more athletic/less cerebral Peyton Manning.  While Fields' comp is a shorter Cam Newton.

Gimme Lawrence over Fields anyday of the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea not to rude, but you really just sound like youre reaching for a outlandish opinion just for shock value. You have no statistical backing for your argument, and really no argument to stand on. You can obviously put your opinion out there, and thats what this site is for. But having no stats to back you up and the tape also tells a different story. But you never know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly believe this is coming from someone who is likely an OSU fan. Look support your guy, but lets be realistic here. As far development of a QB goes, you need less to do with Lawrence by a country mile than what you need to do with Fields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

OSU fan here:

No

How about to Dwayne Haskins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VanS said:

Lawrence's comp is a more athletic/less cerebral Peyton Manning. 

There's gotta be someone out there that fits that description better than that. It's ... off to me. I dunno. Like Luck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

There's gotta be someone out there that fits that description better than that. It's ... off to me. I dunno. Like Luck?

Yeah, Manning isn't a solid comparison at all.  Manning has better processing, accuracy, and is maybe the best pre-snap adjuster in NFL history.  Lawrence has a bigger arm, significantly more athleticism, and has questions about his maturity.  If i'm comparing Lawrence to anyone at the college level, i'm looking more at Cam Newton.  Similar completion percentages in college, Cam ran a lot more, but they have nearly identical yards per run, both were part of big play passing games, both elite athletes with huge arms.  I think Lawrence has more upside as a passer, and TBD on maturity since Lawrence is younger than Cam's junior year with not as serious red flags, but that seems like the best comparison to me right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And for the record, as an Ohio State fan, i'd take Lawrence over Fields as well, although I do think it is closer than some in this thread give Fields credit for.  Fields decision making with the ball in his hands was excellent in 2019, even after injuries sapped his ability to run as much during the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

How about to Dwayne Haskins?

Haskins is in a different situation. He would've benefited from staying another year. He has all the physical needs for an NFL QB. All of them. He was just as raw as could be as a prospect. He needed a year or two in DC but instead, got thrown in too early. What will this do to his psyche? He was OK last year considering but he can remain focused and not let it get the best of him, he should be OK. I think Fields will be better prepared coming out and be a better pro earlier in his career when comparing. Overall though, I'm not sure. I need to see Fields improve his accuracy more before I start saying he's going to be anything in the league. He was very inconsistent last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

And for the record, as an Ohio State fan, i'd take Lawrence over Fields as well, although I do think it is closer than some in this thread give Fields credit for.  Fields decision making with the ball in his hands was excellent in 2019, even after injuries sapped his ability to run as much during the season.

Correct, 100%! This is why I feel he's a great student of the game. He just needs to fix those accuracy issues he has at times and he'll be great prospect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JTagg7754 said:

Correct, 100%! This is why I feel he's a great student of the game. He just needs to fix those accuracy issues he has at times and he'll be great prospect!

The leg injury hurt his accuracy just as much as it did his running game.  You could tell he wasn't stepping into throws as confidently as he was early in the season.  Assuming they get to play this fall and Fields is 100% healthy, I think we see significant improvement with his ball placement in his 2nd year starting at the college level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The leg injury hurt his accuracy just as much as it did his running game.  You could tell he wasn't stepping into throws as confidently as he was early in the season.  Assuming they get to play this fall and Fields is 100% healthy, I think we see significant improvement with his ball placement in his 2nd year starting at the college level.

I hope you're right on all accounts. We're a serious NC threat this year. Having that taken from us would be terrible but whatever. Safety is more important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, Manning isn't a solid comparison at all.  Manning has better processing, accuracy, and is maybe the best pre-snap adjuster in NFL history.  Lawrence has a bigger arm, significantly more athleticism, and has questions about his maturity.  If i'm comparing Lawrence to anyone at the college level, i'm looking more at Cam Newton.  Similar completion percentages in college, Cam ran a lot more, but they have nearly identical yards per run, both were part of big play passing games, both elite athletes with huge arms.  I think Lawrence has more upside as a passer, and TBD on maturity since Lawrence is younger than Cam's junior year with not as serious red flags, but that seems like the best comparison to me right now.

I mean I wouldn't have made the Manning comparison either, but it was really the whole "more athletic/less cerebral Peyton Manning" bit. It's like, then you can't use Peyton Manning, because what makes Peyton Peyton is that uniqueness he had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean I wouldn't have made the Manning comparison either, but it was really the whole "more athletic/less cerebral Peyton Manning" bit. It's like, then you can't use Peyton Manning, because what makes Peyton Peyton is that uniqueness he had. 

Yup. Its the classic move of comparing his projected level of play (I think he's a Manning level player) vs. play style and skill set. I'm on the "are we giving Lawrence too much credit" bandwagon but so much on the Fields>Lawrence point. Fortunately we (should) have another year to evaluate how they play before we have to make any solid judgments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×