Justin Fields Will Be Better Than Trevor Lawrence

sshle_

On 5/1/2020 at 2:26 AM, sshle_ said:

A lot of Lawrence's highlights come from poorly thrown deep balls against weak competition.

You're going to prop up Trey Lance who doesn't even play in the FBS and then put Lawrence down for the level of competition he plays against?

What about the National Title Game against Alabama? 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ozzy said:

How convenient, do not bring up what Lawrence did to a far superior defense as a true FR vs Alabama 2018 in the title game.  By the way Fields threw the ball 13 more times than Lawrence that game last year and was up against a much worse defense in Clemson.  Clemson lost a ton off the previous defensive team but Ohio State was an amazing defense last year with top flight players at every level.  Lawrence still had a great game and took them apart on the ground obviously, and that was against a defense with three 1st round picks on it from this draft, two in the top 3 of course.  

Will be curious how Fields does next year if there even is a season.  Because they will actually lose a ton of receiving talent, usually are 5-7 WRs deep and it is quality depth the past two seasons.  This up coming year they got Olave and Wilson but not much else for returning WRs, sure some will come along but they have been staked the past two seasons with these guys.

Olave
Hill
Victor
Wilson
Mack

Campbell
Hill
McLaurin
Dixon
Victor
Mack
Olave

To be fair. They are getting the best WR prospect in years as a Freshman though next year in Julian Flemming (whom I still despise but that's neither here nor there)

Yeah, Fields isn't going to hurting for talent around him.  RB won't be quite as strong going from Dobbins to Sermon (Master Teague has an Achilles injury and may not even play this year), but TE has a fantastic blocking/receiving combo of Luke Farrell and Jeremy Ruckert.  Olave and Wilson are going to be the headliners, but behind them you have Jameson Williams who flashed serious potential in a few games last year and Jaylyn Harris is a big target who has been buried in a deep position group that could surprise some people.  Then you have an absurd group of Freshmen led by Julian Fleming, along with two other top 100 recruits in Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Gee Scott.  Wild card could be Kamryn Babb who has been dealing with injuries since high school, so it's hard to know if he'll break through that level of talent or not.  

So needless to say, Fields is going to have plenty of talent around him.  Oh, I forgot to mention, odds are good he has the best offensive line in the country in front of him as well.

5 hours ago, Danger said:

You're going to prop up Trey Lance who doesn't even play in the FBS and then put Lawrence down for the level of competition he plays against?

What about the National Title Game against Alabama? 

How did I prop up Lance? I said he will need to sit a year. He also will be a running qb, who can throw deep. 

I said he and Lawrence are similar with Lance having a better deep ball. 

On 5/1/2020 at 1:24 AM, sshle_ said:

I really couldn't think of a floor for him so I found an athletic QB who could throw a wild deep ball and had success in college. 

My point is, his floor is a zero impact QB in the NFL. To me, he is closer to that than any projected ceiling he has. 

tyrod taylor

On 5/1/2020 at 10:16 AM, THE DUKE said:

And for the record, as an Ohio State fan, i'd take Lawrence over Fields as well, although I do think it is closer than some in this thread give Fields credit for.  Fields decision making with the ball in his hands was excellent in 2019, even after injuries sapped his ability to run as much during the season.

People act like Lawrence is on some God tier and its unrealistic for Fields to possibly be better like he came out of nowhere. 

Lawrence and Fields were both 1a and 1b highschool players in the country coming out in 2018 so from a pure prospect level, they are not that different at all. Its not like Fields was a 4* commit who was the 184th ranked highschool player in the country. Alot of people act like his ceiling cant possibly be higher than Lawrences for whatever reason.

All Im saying is I think Lawrence has been wonderful, but gets a loooooot of benefit of the doubt when he plays poor or average. Fields doesnt seem to get that same wiggle room with his play

Justin Fields- 41 TDs/ 3 INTs with Comp 67% against B1G defenses. 

Trevor Lawrence 36 TDs/ 8 INTs with Comp 65% against ACC defenses. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

Nothing says the current draft season has ended like 2 topics that say a generational QB isn't as good as a caliber of guy that comes out every year (Fields, Lance). 

Fields is on Herbert's level, not even Tua's IMO. And Lance is miles behind Hurts. 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

To be honest, Fields looks a guy who is going to end up going much later than his pre-season hype indicates. He seems average in just about all respects.

all depends on how things go. Could be a chance he always come back next year. No sure thing that he will come out. He looked good for a first year starter, now you gotta see what he does in his 2nd year

On 5/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ozzy said:

Will be curious how Fields does next year if there even is a season.  Because they will actually lose a ton of receiving talent, usually are 5-7 WRs deep and it is quality depth the past two seasons.  This up coming year they got Olave and Wilson but not much else for returning WRs, sure some will come along but they have been staked the past two seasons with these guys.

He might not have the depth like last year but his top 2 WRs are by far a lot better. Olave is just going to get better and Wilson should be ready to be an monster impact player. Olave should have a huge year next year...

9 hours ago, Danger said:

To be fair. They are getting the best WR prospect in years as a Freshman though next year in Julian Flemming (whom I still despise but that's neither here nor there)

Torrance Gibson looked like a future 1st round pick on Ohio State his first Spring game, and clearly see where his career has gone since then.  So until they actually perform on the field in a real game, it is just a high school ranking that means little to nothing I feel.

@buno67 I agree completely, Olave could have an outstanding season and really was pretty outstanding last year already.  Great speed, good route running ability and has a fine catch radius.  Will be interesting how they do without the depth they have had in seasons previous.  

Lawrence has a lot of media hype that people on here and reddit fall into. Fields had a better year than him last year most definitely and if Lawrence continues his play from last season and Fields continues on the upswing, then yeah, Fields will be better than Lawrence (like OP said)