Justin Fields Will Be Better Than Trevor Lawrence

sshle_

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Torrance Gibson looked like a future 1st round pick on Ohio State his first Spring game, and clearly see where his career has gone since then.  So until they actually perform on the field in a real game, it is just a high school ranking that means little to nothing I feel.

@buno67 I agree completely, Olave could have an outstanding season and really was pretty outstanding last year already.  Great speed, good route running ability and has a fine catch radius.  Will be interesting how they do without the depth they have had in seasons previous.  

Gipson had such a messed up life before he got to college. I want to say when he came up to the Friday Night Lights in Columbus. He somehow found a ride to Columbus but had no way to get home. It left coaches scrambling. 

Fleming is a different beast tho. He was the #1 WR, Gipson was a QB who wasn’t going to see the field unless he changed positions. Fleming gets to work with arguably one of the best WR coaches in the nation in Hartline. 

I think their depth is going to be fine. Just won’t be as seasoned as years past  guys like Gardiner, Gill, and Cooper are going to be good. Fleming might make the same impact like Wilson did last year.  I just expect Olave to have a huge year because he will be the most trusted WR on the team and will be one of the top WRs in the nation  

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, brushmyhair said:

I've heard Lawrence get compared to Dan Marino so that right there about fields is a bold statement

Throwing aside (the pure absurdity), the 87 career rushing yards for Marino on 301 attempts stand out. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Imagine how dooky McNabb would have been without Andy Reid.

Don't get me wrong, I was actually a McNabb fan and apologist, but "one of the greatest of his generation" is hilarious, especially when he's within a year of Manning, two years of Brady, and three years of Brees.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Don't get me wrong, I was actually a McNabb fan and apologist, but "one of the greatest of his generation" is hilarious, especially when he's within a year of Manning, two years of Brady, and three years of Brees.

?

He didn't say "one of the greatest" but rather "one of the better". McNabb was indeed one of the better QB's of the 2000's.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Duluther said:

?

He didn't say "one of the greatest" but rather "one of the better". McNabb was indeed one of the better QB's of the 2000's.

Exactly this, cheers. Some people really should brush up on their reading comprehension here, of get back to me with a list of a dozen QBs who were better over than McNabb across the 2000s.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Brady

Brees

Manning...

The three listed here, without a shadow of a doubt yes. Looking at the others though...

Warner - yes, but not by a lot. He had higher highs on either side of the decade which I would give him the edge for, but also some serious lows which saw him spend half the decade struggling to get his game against the likes of Marc Bolger, young and quite hapless Eli Manning, Josh McCown and Matt Leinart. McNabb had 81 more touchdowns (55 more passing and 26 more rushing), less interceptions, and over 10,000+ more passing yards (approx 7,300 passing and 2,800 rushing) over this period.

Favre - yes, but the same as above as his floor was way below that of McNabb in the 2000s. Career wise they are incomparable, but over the 2000s exclusively they really are not a million miles apart. Favre had about 3,500 more yards and 26 more touchdowns, but also a pretty staggering 87 more interceptions over this decade. 

McNair - debatable, they're close to a wash for me. McNabb had several more seasons over the 2000s than McNair, while McNair had the co-MVP year.

Rivers - tough call since Rivers only played half the decade, but I'll edge him ahead and say yes (and by a huge distance career wise), but for the 2000s it's a coin-toss

Ben - same as above, I'll take 2004-10 Ben over 2000-10 McNabb, but again by a coin toss.

Romo - highly debatable, and I would say no. Over the 2000s, Romo had less than half the passing yards of McNabb and about 150 rushing yards compared to about 2,800. Did Romo have a better career than McNabb? In my opinion yes, and he is a guy who got the short end of the stick far too often in terms of scapegoating. But solely through the 2000s? No, I'll take McNabb.

Vick - absolutely not, and frankly a little bit laughable. Less than half the passing yards, less than half the touchdowns, he did have 1,500 more rushing yards and 4 more rushing touchdowns than McNabb but pretty much it that's it. Even when he shone in Philadelphia for 12 games, he wasn't as good as McNabb in 2004.Being a Madden superstar does not a great QB make, especially when off the field issues cause them to miss so much time.

Rodgers - no, and I say that as a Packers fan who has been a massive fan of his since before he got the starting job. He only had 3 starting seasons by the end of the 2000s, and while they were very good it doesn't stand out above 2004-07 McNabb (it was 2011 where Rodgers went to a whole different level). McNabb 2000-10 is unquestionably a better body of work than Rodgers 2008-10, even though it obviously doesn't compare to Rodgers 2008-18.  

Palmer - No. Just no. His best season falls below McNabb's best, his averages over the timeframe are poorer, and his sample size is obviously much smaller. I quite liked Palmer, but would take McNabb 2000-10 over Palmer 2004-10 in a heartbeat. 

Hasselbeck and Green were good QBs but their strongest patches were largely due to playing behind God-mode offensive lines for a few years. Gannon could be argued, but like with Rodgers three seasons is just too small to take over a decade.

Frankly, I'm completely lost as to where this idea that McNabb was some journeyman or garbage QB some seem to have has come from, given what he did with so little early for much of his career in Philadelphia (and had impressive numbers when they signed TO). It's something that only seems to have come about since years after he was retired, probably because he's proven himself to be an absolute eejit and frankly shady character. Ten years ago he was pretty much a consensus pick for top 7-10 QBs of the decade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Guys, get back on topic.

Apologies, my post a minute or two after this.

I've never been a fan of how seemingly every year, whomever the best QB prospect is needs to get hyped up beyond all belief, but Lawrence in my mind is probably the best prospect to come about since Luck. Nobody is "can't miss" but he looks about as close as can be, and his ceiling is outrageous.