Justin Fields Will Be Better Than Trevor Lawrence

sshle_

This is a horrible thread. The fact that it exists makes me question my place in the world.

Also, I am an avid watcher of OSU football. Watch just about every game I can unless I have a high school game to coach on those primetime Saturday games. I don't think Fields is going to be a great pro. I would have taken 3 QB's from this past draft over Fields, tbh. And I sure as hell am taking Lawrence over him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Counselor said:

Floor for Fields is McNabb? Yeah I don’t agree with that. His floor isn’t that high.

Yea, no prospect has a floor of consistent probowl/AP guy who flirted with HoF resume

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Yea, no prospect has a floor of consistent probowl/AP guy who flirted with HoF resume

To take this a step further, people get really unreasonable about what a floor is. I remember before 2018 draft someone suggesting that Josh Allen's floor was Joe Flacco. I really like Josh Allen and he's been good so far, but if his "floor" is a ten-year starter on a winning team with a SB MVP, then he should be the first overall pick with no questions asked. Something like "median outcome" is different, but "floor" should demonstrate a reasonable level underperformance relative to projection (something more useful than "everyone could be a bust").

14 hours ago, sshle_ said:

I've watched both these guys throw and from an accuracy standpoint, Fields makes much better throws than Lawrence.  He also sees the field better than Lawrence does. 

A lot of what Lawrence does reminds me of Jameis Winston coming out of FSU. He will not be able to beat teams in the NFL by just throwing deep balls on the outside. 

I'd also say that Fields reminds me a lot of an more athletic McNabb. 

Lawrence's comparisons:

Floor: Tim Tebow

Middle: Jameis Winston

Ceiling: Athletic Matthew Stafford (very slim chance I see him reaching this.)

Field's comparisons:

Floor: Donovan McNabb

Ceiling: Aaron Rodgers 

Thoughts? 

Idk man. Tim Tebow could throw it any part of the field.  Have you seen Lawerence's god awful throwing motion. It's like he's throwing a shotput every time he winds up. Oh wait. 

I mean, it's certainly possible that Fields ends up better than Lawrence.  They're both good prospects, but I struggle to come up with anything that I can definitively say Fields is better at.  Projections are wrong all the time, but Lawrence certainly looks like the much better prospect.  Hard to think of a better looking one outside of Andrew Luck since I've been following this kind of thing.

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, it's certainly possible that Fields ends up better than Lawrence.  They're both good prospects, but I struggle to come up with anything that I can definitively say Fields is better at.  Projections are wrong all the time, but Lawrence certainly looks like the much better prospect.  Hard to think of a better looking one outside of Andrew Luck since I've been following this kind of thing.

I think Fields makes smarter throws, but at best accuracy is a push but i'd probably lean towards Lawrence, Lawrence has the stronger arm, the better frame for durability, and the longer track record of success.

Looking back on Lawrence's game logs, he had the better year as a Freshman, which is a little surprising.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

This is a horrible thread. The fact that it exists makes me question my place in the world.

Also, I am an avid watcher of OSU football. Watch just about every game I can unless I have a high school game to coach on those primetime Saturday games. I don't think Fields is going to be a great pro. I would have taken 3 QB's from this past draft over Fields, tbh. And I sure as hell am taking Lawrence over him.

What exactly discourages you with Fields?

1 hour ago, sshle_ said:

What exactly discourages you with Fields?

The system, lack of size, questionable arm talent. That OSU system is so damn easy to dominate in. He doesn’t do well under pressure or hanging tight in a crowded pocket. 

I see him listed at 6’4, but that seems way off to me watching him. Either that, or OSU has the largest offense of all-time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Idk man. Tim Tebow could throw it any part of the field.  Have you seen Lawerence's god awful throwing motion. It's like he's throwing a shotput every time he winds up. Oh wait. 

What?  Tebow had an awful throwing motion and had little chance at being a successful NFL QB.  What exactly is it about Trevor Lawrence's throwing motion that is so awful?  The fact he actually has a strong arm unlike Tim Tebow?  Sure he could improve some things, everyone does, but his motion is not bad just has to get a quicker release at times.  

ArtisticSinfulAustraliankestrel-size_res

source.gif

Lawrence can spin in and has a cannon arm, Tebow absolutely did not and never had that type of arm talent.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

There's gotta be someone out there that fits that description better than that. It's ... off to me. I dunno. Like Luck?

In style, but I think Lawrence has much better arm talent than Luck. 

21 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What?  Tebow had an awful throwing motion and had little chance at being a successful NFL QB.  What exactly is it about Trevor Lawrence's throwing motion that is so awful?  The fact he actually has a strong arm unlike Tim Tebow?  Sure he could improve some things, everyone does, but his motion is not bad just has to get a quicker release at times.  

ArtisticSinfulAustraliankestrel-size_res

source.gif

Lawrence can spin in and has a cannon arm, Tebow absolutely did not and never had that type of arm talent.  

Arm strength was never the issue with Tebow. It was release time and accuracy. His NFL combine draft profile (as just one account of this):

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tim--tebow?id=497135

He has a strong arm but his accuracy has been inconsistent over the years as he often ends up throwing the ball when on the move. He is not generally real quick to pull the trigger once he decides where he wants to throw the ball.

That GIF doesn't prove anything re: his arm. It's clear that his mechanics broke down with the pressure. He's sliding flat-footed into that throw, not stepping into it.