Justin Fields Will Be Better Than Trevor Lawrence

sshle_

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Some of you will know better than I ever could. What makes Fields that much better than Haskins in college, let alone Lawrence?

Dwayne was more of a traditional pocket passer with great accuracy in college especially on short/intermediate timing routes. Fields has far better mobility and is a threat with his legs, he also better at pushing the ball downfield. I found myself saying 'wow' more often with Fields when he made some of his throws. Like the TD he threw against MICH after coming back in from injury.

They are likely going to have similar college numbers but I think Fields toolbox and ceiling to work with is bigger than Haskins coming out. Basically, Haskins was a more polished technician even if he was a bit limited in college, Fields has the better raw talent and is more of a '5 tool' type player.

He might not have the same elusiveness as him, but I can see Fields being similar to Deshawn Watson in the NFL whereas Haskins is more like Jared Goff.

This throw is what Im talking about at :52

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Some of you will know better than I ever could. What makes Fields that much better than Haskins in college, let alone Lawrence?

Haskins, while a solid pocket passer, excelled on a lot of underneath routes, timing throws, etc. He struggled against pressure and was surprisingly inefficient as a downfield passer, albeit a lot of that scheme was a poor fit for him and wasn't tailored to him until about halfway through the season.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 10:55 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Lawrence probably, Lance.....no.

Another? When did OSU start churning out all of these busted QB prospects?

I guess more they never translated to the NFL? Dwayne's start has been less than ideal, Cardale was who we thought he was, JT Barrett, Braxton never finished, Terrelle Pryor

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I guess more they never translated to the NFL? Dwayne's start has been less than ideal, Cardale was who we thought he was, JT Barrett, Braxton never finished, Terrelle Pryor

Those are all Urban Meyer guys. His college system prioritized QBs who can run first and throw a good deep ball. Urban has never had any real NFL level QB prospects maybe outside of Pryor. Win with your feet. Extreme college based system.

Day is the opposite, he is the guy who is a QB coach who values more the more traditional skillset with QBs like Haskins/Fields who are acutal NFL level prospects at the position. Win from the pocket with your arm. NFL based system.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 9/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, BayRaider said:

Lawrence and Lance are going to be better than Fields. Fields will be another Ohio State bust.

I agree on Lawrence and Lance being better.  But I doubt Fields is an outright bust.  I think he'll be an average starting caliber QB.

10 minutes ago, VanS said:

I agree on Lawrence and Lance being better.  But I doubt Fields is an outright bust.  I think he'll be an average starting caliber QB.

Bust as in Fields will be taken Top 3 and casually ranked around 12-20 for QBs on most of his seasons. I’m not saying the guy is JaMarcus or Mariota.