Other Free Agents

onejayhawk

UDFA are a special group, but other players are hitting the streets. This is a thread for cuts and other available players.

Taco Charlton, 2017 first round pick of the Cowboys was released last season, picked up by Miami and was again released post draft. He has Spagnuolo's preferred DE body type, but has been a slow learner to date. Should we offer?

J

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

UDFA are a special group, but other players are hitting the streets. This is a thread for cuts and other available players.

Taco Charlton, 2017 first round pick of the Cowboys was released last season, picked up by Miami and was again released post draft. He has Spagnuolo's preferred DE body type, but has been a slow learner to date. Should we offer?

J

I would bring him in to compete for a roster spot or practice squad.

I don’t think we got very much cap space at this point even with the colquitt release.

unless a guy wants to come in at vet minimum and compete for a championship, which I’m hoping on.

Edited by Chiefer

The Taco Charlton signing clearly pushes Breeland Speaks to DT, where he is listed on the depth chart. All the DE will likely see at least some time inside, particularly in coverage sets, but I look for Speaks to find a home there or find other employment.  

J

• Like 2

Taco's numbers are not that bad, when he plays. What concerns me is the number of healthy scratches, both in Dallas and Miami. That speaks to coachability issues. If we can get him to play, he should be an asset, but it's a big if.

That said, the 49ers traded Charles Haley to the Cowboys in 1992. At least in part the objective was to spoil the Cowboys clubhouse. Jimmy Johnson turned him into an off the field asset and also got a couple of Pro-Bowl years out of him.

J

3 hours ago, valkrei said:

Maybe being coached by the Super Bowl winning coaches will help.

He’s got some positive traits for sure, he did play with FC in college. And it looks like he’s timing the snap better from his college days. He’s decent against the run as well. 

I hope he does well, got plenty of opportunity to succeed 

Edited by Chiefer

Major article on the Taco. https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/5/2/21245141/film-review-chiefs-defensive-end-taco-charlton

One thing a lot of us will like is that he plays the run well now. Another thing that might make him work well is his ability to play stunts. Ogbah was very good with these and TK shows potential. This is also where the ability to slide inside is useful. After all, stunts require two players in cooperation. 

• In 2020, even without a ton of improvement, Charlton can still be an effective run defender as the end man on the line of scrimmage and operate as a pass rusher during their twists and games.

The question of attitude was not addressed. It remains a concern, but it is worth noting that failure of communication is often seen as an attitude problem by the coach. We will see if it applies here.