Your Packers Final Roster Predictions - 2020 Edition

Chili

11 minutes ago, rbens06 said:

Agree I don't predict that happening, but a guy like Shepherd is a completely different type of receiver, so if for some reason they did go that route it was for that type of receiver. I dont see that holding true, but thats possible. 

"Anything's possible" but based on what I've seen....that's not happening.

I had to look up ESB to find out when he was injured last preseason because I remember him looking like the best bet to be #2 in camp before his injury. Not only are both his brothers playing receiver in college right now but his dad is a pretty accomplished body builder. Blood lines don’t guarantee anything but I would say his family more than likely instilled some positive traits. Either way he’s going to make the roster if healthy

1 hour ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I had to look up ESB to find out when he was injured last preseason because I remember him looking like the best bet to be #2 in camp before his injury. Not only are both his brothers playing receiver in college right now but his dad is a pretty accomplished body builder. Blood lines don’t guarantee anything but I would say his family more than likely instilled some positive traits. Either way he’s going to make the roster if healthy

Just purely from my standpoint 

MVS clearly has the highest ceiling to be #2. That hasn’t changed in one season. That dude can play. We don’t know what happened last season.. but judging from the dwindling playtime you can assume he wasn’t taking the the job serious enough in ‘19. I was definitely one that had him over 1000+ yards last year.I still don’t think that’s a stretch. He’s either our third best WR or off the roster in 2021 and I’d put money on it, barring injury. 

Funchess’ contract and his history make me think he’s our best floor #2. He’s a 99.9% roster spot. That’s not a bad place to be as a team. He can and will contribute. And for the life of me I hope it’s enough to get him paid enough for a comp pick next offseason. Don’t get me wrong.. I believe in the hype. I just don’t wanna pay for it when it all comes together. 

ESB is almost as sure a bet be on the 2020 squad as anyone in the receiver room. He’s our Kenny Golliday if I can borrow a similar division comp. Lets see if he can back it up. He’s got a ceiling 2 and we’re all joking about how we wanted a receiver in this draft or a floor 5 and we have no interest barring ST next season..

Of anyone, from what I think I’ve gathered they want to do in this system... I’d put my money on Lazard as a 2. He’s an excellent blocker. He’s ever slightly above average with his hands. He doesn’t separate like you like but he has plus value in a offense. Like a best case scenario Geronimo in laymen’s. 

I don’t have Kumerow on this 2020 roster.

Begelton I have hopes for. We’ll see how this COVID offseason works out for him but he has legit traits and is confident from what I’ve read. Obviously there’s more to that... but I honestly don’t know. He’s a ceiling 4 bottom 6 for me. 

Adams is a top 5 receiver and a top 3 with Rodgers if healthy. His release is obscene. He masked difficulties in the old offense. I’m stoked to see him in 2020 if there’s a season.

We’ll see. There’s enough to be exited about sans picking a top 15 receiver in this draft. Injures notwithstanding... MVS as our 2nd is a business class ticket into the playoffs or we underutilized the entire group. 

I’m still not ready to say I’m on board with the draft but I understand it and support it as a packer fan. 

New CBA impact on rosters

The active gameday roster will increase from 46 players to 48, including eight offensive linemen. 

Practice squads will be expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-21 and then to 14 players in 2022.
There is also now no limitation on the number of years a player can be on the practice squad

I think both of these changes suggest an emphasis on player development and a nod to 17 games.
More guys on the PS and they can stay there longer - gives them access to NFL nutrition, training and development
More players active on Sunday gives those guys a chance at live snaps and ameliorates the added burden of 17 games for some of the starters

The 8th OL requirement is interesting, that too might be about player development and getting the back- ups some game snaps
Additionally, the NFL owners have always resisted the idea of purely gadget players. The 400lb fullback, the 7 Ft TE, the Olympic sprinter
With that OL requirement, the coaches really only get one more player and they may be reluctant to spend it on a 1 trick pony

Here's mine

QB (2+1): Rodgers, Love PS: Morton 

If they keep three, I think it is probably Boyle. I don't know if there will be enough of an offseason for Boyle to force his way onto the roster.

RB (4+2): Jones, Dillon, J. Williams, Ervin PS: D. Williams, Taylor

With the free agency situation and the focus on the running game, keeping two on the practice squad seems like a decent possibility.

WR (6+1): Adams, Funchess, Lazard, Valdez-Scantling, St. Brown, Taylor PS: Stewart

There's always a roster surprise or two and Taylor was one of mine, beating out Kumerow and Begelton for sixth on the receiver depth chart and then Summers for the final roster spot.

TE (4): Sternberger, Deguara, Lewis, Tonyan

Jones and Looney are practice squad possibilities.

T (4+1): Bakhtiari, Wagner, Light, Nijman PS: Bruffy

Hopefully Nijman makes progress. Bruffy getting the second most guaranteed of any Packer UDFA makes me think he's got a good shot to at least make the practice squad.

IOL (6+1): Jenkins, Linsley, Turner, Taylor, Patrick, Runyan PS: Hanson PUP: Stepaniak

Real chance one of the vet backups, Taylor or Patrick, gets cut for Hanson, Stepaniak if healthy or Madison.

DL (5+1): Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Keke, Hester PS: Willis

Not the strongest group.

OLB (5+1): Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, Garvin, Roberts PS: Scott

Garvin will make it if he shows anything in the preseason just because of his upside. That leaves the 2019 UDFA with the biggest guarantee vs. the 2020 UDFA with the biggest guarantee for the fifth spot. I'll go with Roberts with Scott on the practice squad. Galeai is also a practice squad possibility.

ILB (4+1): Kirksey, Bolton, Burks, Martin PS: Summers 

I know that this has been a popular place to slot an UDFA, but if these five are healthy, I have my doubts Barnes or Griffin (or Galeai if they slot him here) leap two of these guys.

CB (6+2): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Sunderland PS: Ento, Dequoy

After the first three, little would surprise me. Sunderland edges Samuels for the sixth spot and the Packers keep the two higher upside guys on the practice squad.

S (4+1): Savage, Amos, Greene, Scott PS: Black

At least one of Greene or Redmond will almost assuredly make it. Other than that, there is no combination for the No. 3 and 4 spots that would surprise me.

ST (3): Crosby, Scott Bradley

• 2 weeks later...

My 2020 Championship Roster  (edited)

OFFENSE   (26)

QB: 3    Rodgers, Boyle, Love
RB  4    Jones, Dillon, J. Williams, Ervin 
TE  4    Sternberger, Lewis, Deguara, Tonyan
WR 5   Adams, Funchess, EQ, Lazard, MVS, ?
OT  4   Bakh, Wagner, Veldheer or Nijman
OG  4   Turner, Jenkins, Taylor, Patrick, Runyan
OC  2   Linsley, (Patrick) Hanson

DEFENSE    (24)

DL     6     Clark, Harrison, Lowry, Lancaster, Keke, Hester
OLB  5      Z, P, Gary, T. Williams, Garvin
ILB    3     Kirksey, Burks, Martin
CB     6     Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Tramon
S        4     Savage, Amos, Greene, Redmond ( Tramon= back up FS)

ST     3       Crosby, Scott, Bradley

Roster Notes: 

Stepaniak to PUP
Lane Taylor was traded for a 2021 6th re-negotiated and earns a spot
Boyle was deemed competent enough to be QB2 in 2019 and Love isn't ready yet.
If Love progresses despite the limited offseason, you can move Boyle to PS

I went with vets over youth given the abbreviated offseason AND the new CBA which limits practice time and padded practices
I added 3 mid-priced FAs who have been connected to GB -  because that's what's needed to make this a deep & talented Championship Roster

Veldheer is Wagner insurance and OT3, buys time for Nijman or Light to develop
Harrison changes the DL from meh, to pretty good
Tramon is CB vet, leadership and back- up FS

I went with (5) OLBs because Z and Gary will be playing some snaps at 3-tech and chose Tim Williams the vet over youth
I kept 6 DL because Clark, Lowry, Lancaster all played too many snaps in 2019 - although Harrison kinda makes Lancaster redundant
I kept 10 OL which is admittedly way too heavy. Now 8 lineman can be active on Sunday with new game-day roster expansion

These were the last cuts
Many are PS candidates, 2 of which can be activated on game day without having to pass thru waivers to return to PS

Begelton, M. Taylor at WR
Bayliss, Looney at TE
Light at OT
Madison had Nov. ACL, he's headed to PUP and maybe IR
M. Adams at DT
Sunderland, Samuels at CB
Vernon Scott at S
I'm sure I forgot somebody

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
From Andy Herman:

15 Remaining Ted Thompson Packers:
Davante Adams, Montravius Adams, David Bakhtiari, Kenny Clark, Mason Crosby, Aaron Jones, Kevin King
Jake Kumerow, Corey Linsley, Dean Lowry, Lucas Patrick, Aaron Rodgers, Lane Taylor, Robert Tonyan, Jamaal Williams.

75/90 are Gutekunst pics. He took over Jan 2018.

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:
From Andy Herman:

15 Remaining Ted Thompson Packers:
Davante Adams, Montravius Adams, David Bakhtiari, Kenny Clark, Mason Crosby, Aaron Jones, Kevin King
Jake Kumerow, Corey Linsley, Dean Lowry, Lucas Patrick, Aaron Rodgers, Lane Taylor, Robert Tonyan, Jamaal Williams.

75/90 are Gutekunst pics. He took over Jan 2018.

I know it's way too early to judge but I really wish the 2018 class wasn't looking like Jaire and nothing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I know it's way too early to judge but I really wish the 2018 class wasn't looking like Jaire and nothing. 

The Josh Jackson pick really hurt. Note to Gutey: No more drafting guys named Josh in the 2nd round. And I don't care if his full name is Josh Hutson Favre Nitschke. 

I still think ESB and MVS have a decent chance to competently occupy the 3-5 WR positions. Burks might have some value as a coverage LB/ST stud. Probably doesn't have the linebacker instincts to ever justify a 3rd round pick though. 

Edited by Brat&Beer

Beast's 53 man roster guess, 7/5/2020

PUP List
OG Madison, OG Stepaniak

Both got injured late in the season last year, with what are normally 9 month minimum injuries. Stepaniak claims his doctor said mid July, but either that's wishful thinking or he's a fairly minor ACL tear after getting injured around the new year.

Offense

• QB (2) Rodgers, Love  (2)     
  • RB (4) Jones, Dillon, J Williams, Ervin (6)
  • WR (6) Adams, Lazard, Funchess, MVS, Kumerow, St. Brown  (12)
  • TE (4) Sternberger, Deguara, Lewis, Tonyan (16)
  • OT (3) Bakhtiari, Wagner, Nijman (19)  
  • OG (4) Jenkins, Turner, Taylor, Runyan (23)
  • OC (2) Linsley, Hanson (25)

Offensive Comments

• The last 5 to make it are (alphabetical order)
    • OC Hanson, WR Kumerow, OT Nijman, WR St. Brown, TE Tonyan
  • The last 5 miss it are (alphabetical order)
    • WR Begelton, QB Boyle, OT Light, TE Looney and OC Patrick
  • I really could see them releasing Kumerow, St. Brown or Nijman for Boyle, Patrick or Light. (or just swapping Hanson and Patrick). 
  • OC: I think they'd want to keep both Patrick and Hanson as this could be Linsley's last Packers season.
  • Honestly I just kept Nijman because I think he has the best upside potential of the back-up OTs we current have, though others are more prepared. But I wouldn't be surprised if they're still looking (what's OT Jared Veldheer up to?)
  • Possible bright future who didn't make the cut: RB Patrick Taylor, with RBs Jones, J Williams and Ervin all in contract years, the Packers might need more RB depth in 2021 and if RB Taylor is still around, I think he has the potential to possible make the roster then.            

Defense

• NT (2) Clark, Lancster (2)       
  • DE (3) Lowry, Keke, Adams (5)   
  • OLB (2) Z Smith, Gary (Large Edge) (7) 
  • OLB (3) P Smith, T Williams, Garvin (10)  
  • ILB  (4) Kirksay, Burks, Martin, Summers (14)
  • CB (6) Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Dequoy (20)  
  • SS (3) Amos, Greene, Redmond (23)   
  • FS (2) Savage, V Scott (25)

Defensive Comments

• DT Adams CB Dequoy, OLB Garvin, S Scott, OLB T Williams
    • CB Amos, ILB Bolton, DL Hester, OLB Ramsey, CB Samuels
  • I think the last OLB, CB and maybe S spots are really up for grabs.
  • DL Adams should be a lock based on his potential, but he's certainly not playing up to it, leaving the door open for someone else. (which is the only reason STer SS Redmond wasn't on the last 5 list).
  • OLB: I thought T Williams was a goner but Pettine talked as if Williams might of figured it after he was placed on the PS. If so, he could be a great speeder rusher, though he'll need to be more physical than he has been. Garvin just has a ton of future potential, though he's not ready now. 
  • CB: Just choose Dequoy because he's extremely high athletic potential, which should come in handy on STs, even if others like CB Amos are more ready now.
  • Possible bright future who didn't make the cut: OLB Delontae Scott, Scott was clearly playing out of position as a 3-4 DE in college, but when he got to play a bit more in space, he truly shined, and seemed as he has the size, length and athleticism for 3-4 OLB. He'll be way too raw at a new position to make the roster, but with some practice squad time, he might have a future on a 53 man NFL roster.    

Special Teams                   
ST (3) Crosby, JK Scott, Bradley  

Edited by Beast
Improving the format
  • Like 1

Note to the Titletown GMs

I'm reasonably certain Tim Boyle is on the 53, because he's the only QB2 currently available. No OTA's, no post- draft mini camp, no mandatory mini camps. Only 2 preseason games, maybe none. NFLPA lobbying for no 11 vs 11 contact or scrimmages, they're pushing back on 7 vs 7 as well. The remaining reps in TC are for the starters and young Love will have very few reps by September. He's not ready.
He's a jar on the shelf for the future and GB needs a viable QB2 in case AR busts a chinstrap or gets COVID19'd

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Note to the Titletown GMs

I'm reasonably certain Tim Boyle is on the 53, because he's the only QB2 currently available. No OTA's, no post- draft mini camp, no mandatory mini camps. Only 2 preseason games, maybe none. NFLPA lobbying for no 11 vs 11 contact or scrimmages, they're pushing back on 7 vs 7 as well. The remaining reps in TC are for the starters and young Love will have very few reps by September. He's not ready.
He's a jar on the shelf for the future and GB needs a viable QB2 in case AR busts a chinstrap or gets COVID19'd

Very true, honestly most of my mocks had him with only 5 WRs but I couldn't decide whom to release St. Brown (who's clearly more physical talented) or Kumerow (who clearly outplayed St. Brown last preseason).

There is also the 3rd OT (which is the least talented) but then we'd have no backup OTs. Turner might be able to be the backup at RT but what about LT? If they were promoting Runyan at an OT/OG I'd feel more comfortable, but they keep saying OG only for him.

Also could potentially release the 5th Safety or OLB instead

16 hours ago, Beast said:

..Offense

• QB (2) Rodgers, Love  (2)     
  • RB (4) Jones, Dillon, J Williams, Ervin (6)
  • WR (6) Adams, Lazard, Funchess, MVS, Kumerow, St. Brown  (12)
  • TE (4) Sternberger, Deguara, Lewis, Tonyan (16)
  • OT (3) Bakhtiari, Wagner, Nijman (19)  
  • OG (4) Jenkins, Turner, Taylor, Runyan (23)
  • OC (2) Linsley, Hanson (25)

Offensive Comments

• OC Hanson, WR Kumerow, OT Nijman, WR St. Brown, TE Tonyan
    • WR Begelton, QB Boyle, OT Light, TE Looney and OC Patrick  ....   

Defensive Comments

Nice list and discussion thoughts, beast. 

One consideration is that the practice squad is larger this season.  A second is that with 2 or perhaps zero exhibition games, without OTA's, and with very limited access to practice, I think other teams will have less opportunity to see your guys, scout your guys and to identify guys worth grabbing.  So my expectation is that it will be pretty easy to get guys to practice squad, and more space to place them there.  So, to large extend, I think any guys who were unloved enough by other teams for them to get only drafted in the 6th or 7th rounds or not drafted at all, I don't think other teams are going to be trying to roster those guys.  So I'm guessing that Scott, Hanson, and Runyan are probably all pretty safe to make it to practice squad.  

I think your collection of the ten guys fighting for spots 21-25 on offense is good.  1.  I think Boyle is a strong in.  For Love to be the only backup QB in a season with 2 or no exhibition games and variably compromised preseason training seems unlikely.  So I think Boyle is in.  2.  I question carrying 9 o'linemen.  Between Hanson, Runyan, Nijman, Light, and Patrick, you're keeping 3.  I wonder if instead they'll keep just 2 on full roster?  You can park whomever you want on PS, and recall them later if injury necessitates.   3.  One other way to open a spot, is WR.  If you're struggling to make room for Boyle, or for an extra defender, you can cut one of Kumerow or EQ.  4.  It's not unusual for them to carry >25 on defense and <25 on offense.  So perhaps to add Boyle, while trimming BOTH one OL and one WR could enable them to go 24-26.  Possible....

Defense

• NT (2) Clark, Lancster (2)       
  • DE (3) Lowry, Keke, Adams (5)   
  • OLB (2) Z Smith, Gary (Large Edge) (7) 
  • OLB (3) P Smith, T Williams, Garvin (10)  
  • ILB  (4) Kirksay, Burks, Martin, Summers (14)
  • CB (6) Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Dequoy (20)  
  • SS (2) Amos, Greene, Redmond (22)      
  • FS (3) Savage, V Scott (25)

Defensive Comments

•  

Lots of uncertainty on defense.  1.  I'm suspecting that they will carry a 6th DL.  2.  I'm not sure they will carry 9 LB.  The 3 large OLB yes; but I'd think they might carry one fewer small OLB or else carry only 3 ILB?  Again, cats like Garvin, Martin, Summers, Bolton, Ramsey, you can stash as many of those guys as you want onto PS.  3 . Secondary, who can guess who will or won't make it.  Again, I'm pretty confident that any back-of-roster guys we send to PS will NOT get claimed elsewhere.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me to keep 11 or even 12 secondary guys, I just can't possibly guess who.  4.  Well, maybe kinda...  I am strongly guessing that the old Canadian guy Dequoy will NOT be on the 53.  Huge accomplishment for him if he can make PS; but can't imagine actual roster.  (interesting not on him:  he's 25.  The Packers roster includes only 25 guys older than 25!  So as raw as he is, he's still one of the more fogey-ish guys on the roster!  

1 hour ago, craig said:

Nice list and discussion thoughts, beast. 

One consideration is that the practice squad is larger this season.  A second is that with 2 or perhaps zero exhibition games, without OTA's, and with very limited access to practice, I think other teams will have less opportunity to see your guys, scout your guys and to identify guys worth grabbing.  So my expectation is that it will be pretty easy to get guys to practice squad, and more space to place them there.  So, to large extend, I think any guys who were unloved enough by other teams for them to get only drafted in the 6th or 7th rounds or not drafted at all, I don't think other teams are going to be trying to roster those guys.  So I'm guessing that Scott, Hanson, and Runyan are probably all pretty safe to make it to practice squad.  

I think your collection of the ten guys fighting for spots 21-25 on offense is good.  1.  I think Boyle is a strong in.  For Love to be the only backup QB in a season with 2 or no exhibition games and variably compromised preseason training seems unlikely.  So I think Boyle is in.  2.  I question carrying 9 o'linemen.  Between Hanson, Runyan, Nijman, Light, and Patrick, you're keeping 3.  I wonder if instead they'll keep just 2 on full roster?  You can park whomever you want on PS, and recall them later if injury necessitates.   3.  One other way to open a spot, is WR.  If you're struggling to make room for Boyle, or for an extra defender, you can cut one of Kumerow or EQ.  4.  It's not unusual for them to carry >25 on defense and <25 on offense.  So perhaps to add Boyle, while trimming BOTH one OL and one WR could enable them to go 24-26.  Possible....

•  

Lots of uncertainty on defense.  1.  I'm suspecting that they will carry a 6th DL.  2.  I'm not sure they will carry 9 LB.  The 3 large OLB yes; but I'd think they might carry one fewer small OLB or else carry only 3 ILB?  Again, cats like Garvin, Martin, Summers, Bolton, Ramsey, you can stash as many of those guys as you want onto PS.  3 . Secondary, who can guess who will or won't make it.  Again, I'm pretty confident that any back-of-roster guys we send to PS will NOT get claimed elsewhere.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me to keep 11 or even 12 secondary guys, I just can't possibly guess who.  4.  Well, maybe kinda...  I am strongly guessing that the old Canadian guy Dequoy will NOT be on the 53.  Huge accomplishment for him if he can make PS; but can't imagine actual roster.  (interesting not on him:  he's 25.  The Packers roster includes only 25 guys older than 25!  So as raw as he is, he's still one of the more fogey-ish guys on the roster!  

Great point about other team's not getting to see what we got as much, but they did get to scout them for the draft, even if they didn't select them, like Packers grabbing Tony Brown and  Lazard probably after being interested in them earlier but just couldn't get them

Yes Boyle probably makes it, this usually season is throwing me off, but I'm tired of the ESPN vs Kumerow debate, ESPN clearly has more political,  but he did nothing in preseason last year, I point this out and people get upset. So I punted...

I don't know why you're questioning 9 OL, 8 or 9 OL is normal,  and traditional when the Packers have drafted three OL they have even kept 10. Plus Bak, Taylor and Linsley are all going into contract years and the Packers want to develop some replacement OL, to they don't have to draft or sign anyone.  It's a  TT trick, draft the replacement a year early,  see what they got and let them develop, then you can  possibly let the vet walk knowing what you got. Also why the backup OTS might stink, they need a political replace at LT should injuries happen and on scout team.

Dequoy is 6'3", physical and reportedly ran a 4.35 while dealing with the flu. You can hate on his age, but the ST coordinator is probably going to be asking to keep him around.  And who knows what the DB coach might see, but he wants potential, the kid has potential. If he doesn't work at CB, he can probably still one of the few that can play true deep solo safety if they have Savage help at nickle.