Chili

Your Packers Final Roster Predictions - 2020 Edition

11 minutes ago, rbens06 said:

Agree I don't predict that happening, but a guy like Shepherd is a completely different type of receiver, so if for some reason they did go that route it was for that type of receiver. I dont see that holding true, but thats possible. 

"Anything's possible" but based on what I've seen....that's not happening.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

"Anything's possible" but based on what I've seen....that's not happening.

Agree i dont see it happening either. 

I had to look up ESB to find out when he was injured last preseason because I remember him looking like the best bet to be #2 in camp before his injury. Not only are both his brothers playing receiver in college right now but his dad is a pretty accomplished body builder. Blood lines don’t guarantee anything but I would say his family more than likely instilled some positive traits. Either way he’s going to make the roster if healthy

1 hour ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I had to look up ESB to find out when he was injured last preseason because I remember him looking like the best bet to be #2 in camp before his injury. Not only are both his brothers playing receiver in college right now but his dad is a pretty accomplished body builder. Blood lines don’t guarantee anything but I would say his family more than likely instilled some positive traits. Either way he’s going to make the roster if healthy

Just purely from my standpoint 

MVS clearly has the highest ceiling to be #2. That hasn’t changed in one season. That dude can play. We don’t know what happened last season.. but judging from the dwindling playtime you can assume he wasn’t taking the the job serious enough in ‘19. I was definitely one that had him over 1000+ yards last year.I still don’t think that’s a stretch. He’s either our third best WR or off the roster in 2021 and I’d put money on it, barring injury. 

Funchess’ contract and his history make me think he’s our best floor #2. He’s a 99.9% roster spot. That’s not a bad place to be as a team. He can and will contribute. And for the life of me I hope it’s enough to get him paid enough for a comp pick next offseason. Don’t get me wrong.. I believe in the hype. I just don’t wanna pay for it when it all comes together. 

ESB is almost as sure a bet be on the 2020 squad as anyone in the receiver room. He’s our Kenny Golliday if I can borrow a similar division comp. Lets see if he can back it up. He’s got a ceiling 2 and we’re all joking about how we wanted a receiver in this draft or a floor 5 and we have no interest barring ST next season..

Of anyone, from what I think I’ve gathered they want to do in this system... I’d put my money on Lazard as a 2. He’s an excellent blocker. He’s ever slightly above average with his hands. He doesn’t separate like you like but he has plus value in a offense. Like a best case scenario Geronimo in laymen’s. 

I don’t have Kumerow on this 2020 roster.

Begelton I have hopes for. We’ll see how this COVID offseason works out for him but he has legit traits and is confident from what I’ve read. Obviously there’s more to that... but I honestly don’t know. He’s a ceiling 4 bottom 6 for me. 

Adams is a top 5 receiver and a top 3 with Rodgers if healthy. His release is obscene. He masked difficulties in the old offense. I’m stoked to see him in 2020 if there’s a season.

We’ll see. There’s enough to be exited about sans picking a top 15 receiver in this draft. Injures notwithstanding... MVS as our 2nd is a business class ticket into the playoffs or we underutilized the entire group. 

I’m still not ready to say I’m on board with the draft but I understand it and support it as a packer fan. 

New CBA impact on rosters

The active gameday roster will increase from 46 players to 48, including eight offensive linemen. 

Practice squads will be expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-21 and then to 14 players in 2022.
There is also now no limitation on the number of years a player can be on the practice squad

I think both of these changes suggest an emphasis on player development and a nod to 17 games.
More guys on the PS and they can stay there longer - gives them access to NFL nutrition, training and development
More players active on Sunday gives those guys a chance at live snaps and ameliorates the added burden of 17 games for some of the starters

The 8th OL requirement is interesting, that too might be about player development and getting the back- ups some game snaps
Additionally, the NFL owners have always resisted the idea of purely gadget players. The 400lb fullback, the 7 Ft TE, the Olympic sprinter
With that OL requirement, the coaches really only get one more player and they may be reluctant to spend it on a 1 trick pony

Here's mine

QB (2+1): Rodgers, Love PS: Morton 

If they keep three, I think it is probably Boyle. I don't know if there will be enough of an offseason for Boyle to force his way onto the roster.

RB (4+2): Jones, Dillon, J. Williams, Ervin PS: D. Williams, Taylor

With the free agency situation and the focus on the running game, keeping two on the practice squad seems like a decent possibility.

WR (6+1): Adams, Funchess, Lazard, Valdez-Scantling, St. Brown, Taylor PS: Stewart

There's always a roster surprise or two and Taylor was one of mine, beating out Kumerow and Begelton for sixth on the receiver depth chart and then Summers for the final roster spot.

TE (4): Sternberger, Deguara, Lewis, Tonyan

Jones and Looney are practice squad possibilities.

T (4+1): Bakhtiari, Wagner, Light, Nijman PS: Bruffy

Hopefully Nijman makes progress. Bruffy getting the second most guaranteed of any Packer UDFA makes me think he's got a good shot to at least make the practice squad.

IOL (6+1): Jenkins, Linsley, Turner, Taylor, Patrick, Runyan PS: Hanson PUP: Stepaniak

Real chance one of the vet backups, Taylor or Patrick, gets cut for Hanson, Stepaniak if healthy or Madison.

DL (5+1): Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Keke, Hester PS: Willis

Not the strongest group.

OLB (5+1): Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, Garvin, Roberts PS: Scott

Garvin will make it if he shows anything in the preseason just because of his upside. That leaves the 2019 UDFA with the biggest guarantee vs. the 2020 UDFA with the biggest guarantee for the fifth spot. I'll go with Roberts with Scott on the practice squad. Galeai is also a practice squad possibility.

ILB (4+1): Kirksey, Bolton, Burks, Martin PS: Summers 

I know that this has been a popular place to slot an UDFA, but if these five are healthy, I have my doubts Barnes or Griffin (or Galeai if they slot him here) leap two of these guys.

CB (6+2): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Sunderland PS: Ento, Dequoy

After the first three, little would surprise me. Sunderland edges Samuels for the sixth spot and the Packers keep the two higher upside guys on the practice squad.

S (4+1): Savage, Amos, Greene, Scott PS: Black

At least one of Greene or Redmond will almost assuredly make it. Other than that, there is no combination for the No. 3 and 4 spots that would surprise me.

ST (3): Crosby, Scott Bradley