Jaguars sign RB Chris Thompson

pwny

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

Better then having minshew throw it 40+ a game

You know this, how? 

Not to mention it doesn't have to be one or the other. Is the option to be balanced just tossed out the window or?

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Better then having minshew throw it 40+ a game

I thought teams were allowed to run a balanced offense and use multiple runners, but I guess I’m mistaken. I guess the only options is Fournette run it 40 times a game and never gets spelled, or Minshew throws it 40 times a game.

The NFL really should look into changing that rule.

Will be interesting to see how much run Thompson does actually end up getting.  Have to figure Gruden is going to roll back the run game a bit altogether...and within that, could see him really mixing it up with more of a rotation in the backfield.  That has seemed to be more of his preference over the years.

Can certainly see a potential world where Lenny ends up pouting and causing a distraction if he's relegated to more of a tandem/rotational role with touches more limited in a "contract year" though (a la Malik Jackson before he was shipped out).  So that's something to look forward to.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

I thought teams were allowed to run a balanced offense and use multiple runners, but I guess I’m mistaken. I guess the only options is Fournette run it 40 times a game and never gets spelled, or Minshew throws it 40 times a game.

The NFL really should look into changing that rule.

Haven't seen that many 40s since college

17 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Will be interesting to see how much run Thompson does actually end up getting.  Have to figure Gruden is going to roll back the run game a bit altogether...and within that, could see him really mixing it up with more of a rotation in the backfield.  That has seemed to be more of his preference over the years.

Can certainly see a potential world where Lenny ends up pouting and causing a distraction if he's relegated to more of a tandem/rotational role with touches more limited in a "contract year" though (a la Malik Jackson before he was shipped out).  So that's something to look forward to.

Thompson will be used pretty much as a pass catching back. 

Id imagine gruden using ap+thompson strategy so i would expect fournette with around 270 touches and thompson with around 84 touches.

Im not sure if gruden will run the qb as much as he did(75 total qb runs). Id imagine armstead could eat those up

Edited by LinderFournette

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Thompson will be used pretty much as a pass catching back. 

Id imagine gruden using ap+thompson strategy so i would expect fournette with around 270 tds and thompson with around 84 touches.

Im not sure if gruden will run the qb as much as he did(75 total qb runs). Id imagine armstead could eat those up

Heck yeah.  Sign me up for 270 TDs for Lenny.

But also, seriously...i'm not sure it'll be that significant a split, if Thompson stays healthy.  I think our questionable OLine could realistically end up skewing things more toward a guy like Thompson when Gruden inevitably starts to get frustrated by ineffectiveness in getting reliable movement between the tackles.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Heck yeah.  Sign me up for 270 TDs for Lenny.

But also, seriously...i'm not sure it'll be that significant a split, if Thompson stays healthy.  I think our questionable OLine could realistically end up skewing things more toward a guy like Thompson when Gruden inevitably starts to get frustrated by ineffectiveness in getting reliable movement between the tackles.

Eh. Perhaps norwell will play to his contact.

Thompson isnt that good of a runner.  If anything he will give it to armstead.

Edited to represebt it was supposed to be touches

15 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Eh. Perhaps norwell will play to his contact.

Thompson isnt that good of a runner.  If anything he will give it to armstead.

Edited to represebt it was supposed to be touches

That's the point though.  If the OLine can't hold up, Thompson is a pretty different type of runner, who would get a different sort of carry/touch.  If/when Gruden gets frustrated with the OLine, Thompson is more the sort of back you'd go to trying to circumvent that weakness.  Armstead is just...more o' the same as Fournette.

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

That's the point though.  If the OLine can't hold up, Thompson is a pretty different type of runner, who would get a different sort of carry/touch.  If/when Gruden gets frustrated with the OLine, Thompson is more the sort of back you'd go to trying to circumvent that weakness.  Armstead is just...more o' the same as Fournette.

I see it now

Viska at rb;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

That could definitely become a factor too.

i think its definitely possible.  heres a link granted its BR but is has some quotes from Marrone as well as a blurb from our Writer on espn MIke Dirocco so its relatively not opinion based. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2889744-fantasy-alert-wr-laviska-shenault-jr-to-play-wildcat-qb-rb-te-for-jaguars

heres a quote from Marrone

You can put him in the backfield. He can play Wildcat. You can put him as the F tight end. You can do a lot of things with him. You see it on his tape in 2018 and 2019. That's one of the things we looked at.

"We went back there and I said [to Shenault], 'Look, we can do all those things but the whole key is going to be how well you grasp it, how well you pick it up.' Because if he can, make no mistake about it, we want to be able to do those things.

this is from Dirocco

Shenault lined out wide, in the slot, at tight end and in the backfield during his career. While he put up good numbers as a receiver (149 catches for 1,943 yards and 10 touchdowns), he also was pretty good as a ball carrier: 42 carries for 180 yards and seven TDs while averaging 6.7 yards per carry.

ive read that hes played all over on the Buffalo's offense minus OL so that seems pretty factual.  its also verifieble watching film/highlights. 

7 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

i think its definitely possible.  heres a link granted its BR but is has some quotes from Marrone as well as a blurb from our Writer on espn MIke Dirocco so its relatively not opinion based. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2889744-fantasy-alert-wr-laviska-shenault-jr-to-play-wildcat-qb-rb-te-for-jaguars

heres a quote from Marrone

this is from Dirocco

ive read that hes played all over on the Buffalo's offense minus OL so that seems pretty factual.  its also verifieble watching film/highlights. 

I think it's pretty much guaranteed we'll at least see some jet sweeps and wildcat snaps and stuff out of Shenault at some point.  He's too good with the ball in his hands, to not take advantage of that part of his skillset with easy touches like that to get him more involved.