Jaguars not picking up the fifth-year option of Leonard Fournette

DigInBoys

15 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

A career sub four ypc RB. And that's with a 95 yard run. It's a tough sell.

Nah, he finally hit 4.0 for his career this year, after a 4.3 ypc season.

Changes nothing, really. But he is officially a 4YPC back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, m haynes said:

If a RB can't catch a ball in today's game its wasted 1st RD pick.

He caught 76 passes last season, the fifth most in the league among RBs, an had a higher YPR than Kamara.

It was still a wasted pick, but not because he can't catch.

Edited by pwny
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, pwny said:

He caught 76 passes last season, the fifth most in the league among RBs, an had a higher YPR than Kamara.

It was still a wasted pick, but not because he can't catch.

Maybe I wrong but didn't he have a problem catching the ball before last year.  I also want to clarify catching the ball like the 3 mentioned. Best way I can describe it, basically a WR  that plays RB.

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Maybe I wrong but didn't he have a problem catching the ball before last year.  I also want to clarify catching the ball like the 3 mentioned. Best way I can describe it, basically a WR  that plays RB.

He hadn't been used as a receiver, because we ran the most archaic offense you could run, but he never really had any real issue as a receiving option. He's not a game breaker or anything like what you're discussing, but he can probably be a top 10 receiving back. He has a lot of flaws as a runner and apparently as a teammate, but I'd say he's perfectly fine in the pass game, both as a receiver and a blocker.

• Like 2

On 02/05/2020 at 3:56 PM, pwny said:

He hadn't been used as a receiver, because we ran the most archaic offense you could run, but he never really had any real issue as a receiving option. He's not a game breaker or anything like what you're discussing, but he can probably be a top 10 receiving back. He has a lot of flaws as a runner and apparently as a teammate, but I'd say he's perfectly fine in the pass game, both as a receiver and a blocker.

That peak goofiness, when you could literally predict with like 90% accuracy whether it'd be a between the tackles run or a pass play, just by whether Fournette or Yeldon was in the backfield.  lol.

But yeah.  Fournette has always been dinged by people for being useless as a receiver.  When it's really just a weird stigma that followed him out of LSU where they ran an archaic offense that didn't use him that way.  Came into the league with the Jaguars in an archaic offense that didn't use him that way.

He's demonstrated pretty reasonably since then, that he can in fact actually be a pretty decent receiving back, insomuch as is demanded of most actual "RBs" in the NFL.  He's never going to be that WR masquerading as a RB...but he's more than decent as a traditional receiving option out of the backfield.  He can actually be pretty dangerous out there in space, where he can actually build up some serious speed, and with his size...can force some smaller bodied defenders into a spot of trouble to gain extra yardage.

It's where i still think that like @BleedTheClock kinda suggested earlier in the thread...If you can put a guy like Fournette behind an OLine that can generate a hole that gets him past the big nasties around the LOS...he could absolutely pile up yardage as a wrecking ball on the second level.  That's really where the value in a back like Fournette is maximized.  No RB is ever going to really "move the pile" to the tune of any acceptable YPC average in this day and age, and he doesn't really have the quickness or vision to "get skinny" and find those creases.  But if you can spring him through a decent hole...he's a lot to handle for LBers that are generally getting smaller and smaller, and especially for DBs.

Just a matter of the right fit.  Which is obviously a limitation on Fournette's "value".  But is also the problem with almost all RBs today.  It's all so scheme and utilization dependent.  It's like, even in Fantasy Football...i think it's pretty well acknowledged that you're never really drafting "The RB" per se.  You're basically drafting an OLine, an Offensive System/Scheme, and a probable number of touches.