2020 RDT

DreamKid

23 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Very interesting indeed.  I know you'll appreciate this @sp6488

ZDS, Judon, and Bowser all in the WAR Top 20 for passing.

https://github.com/SportsInfoSolutions/AnalyticsChallenge2020/blob/master/Submissions/meysubb%40gmail.com/Winning the WAR on Defense.pdf

This is good work. Somewhat validates their conclusions that Suggs was one of the best DL/OLB against the run

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 10:13 PM, diamondbull424 said:

I see that board and just get excited for what it might look like with a full season of Calais Campbell, Justin Madubuike, Derek Wolfe, Patrick Queen, and Malik Harrison added to that front 7.

andy samberg ew GIF

I really hope that despite the two rookie ILBs, Wink continues to rotate snaps like no other. Clark having the green dot should help facilitate that, but I'd hate for us to abandon some of what made the D so good from week 4 on last year

I have been thinking, when do we try to find Brandon Williams replacement?

He has shown over and over again how important he is, but his position is just not a premier one. If we want a NT that can more than be fat in the middle, we need to draft in the Derrick Brown range if we want a big prospect. Otherwise we have to take chances later in the draft, but when do we do that? Next year or hope we can find someone after Williams contract is up?

OR, do we actually extend him. He is not a likely decline in play unless his wheels fall off. He will not be a great pass rusher in any way, but still in his 30's he could be a great plugger in the middle.

Interceptions: 5

Marcus Peters

Marcus Peters
Baltimore Ravens · CB

The best situations in which to earn interceptions are when defenses face passes in unfavorable down-and-distance plays for the offense. The Ravens' addition of Calais Campbell to the defensive front helps drive more consistent pressure, which is also correlated with greater chances of earning an interception. The other factor working in Peters' favor is his aggressive playing style. And it sure doesn't hurt that he's lining up on the opposite side of the field as Marlon Humphrey, who, on an almost-weekly basis, ranks among my model's top three corners. With the CB duo of Peters and Humphrey, Baltimore boasts the highest pick projection as a total defense, as well.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Interceptions: 5

Marcus Peters

Marcus Peters
Baltimore Ravens · CB

The best situations in which to earn interceptions are when defenses face passes in unfavorable down-and-distance plays for the offense. The Ravens' addition of Calais Campbell to the defensive front helps drive more consistent pressure, which is also correlated with greater chances of earning an interception. The other factor working in Peters' favor is his aggressive playing style. And it sure doesn't hurt that he's lining up on the opposite side of the field as Marlon Humphrey, who, on an almost-weekly basis, ranks among my model's top three corners. With the CB duo of Peters and Humphrey, Baltimore boasts the highest pick projection as a total defense, as well.

Honestly if they’re smart and try and get Bowser on the field as much as possible, things could get even more dangerous with the pressure he could also help provide. Too bad they’ve essentially boxed him behind Judon. It’ll probably take a Judon injury before Bowser sees extensive playing time and then extensive impact.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Honestly if they’re smart and try and get Bowser on the field as much as possible, things could get even more dangerous with the pressure he could also help provide. Too bad they’ve essentially boxed him behind Judon. It’ll probably take a Judon injury before Bowser sees extensive playing time and then extensive impact.

It's not as bad as the Jefferson/Clark debacle, because Judon actually carries value. It is an unfortunate situation though. All we can do is hope they finally unleash him this season, he's such a versatile weapon to field.

Just now, DreamKid said:

It's not as bad as the Jefferson/Clark debacle, because Judon actually carries value. It is an unfortunate situation though. All we can do is hope they finally unleash him this season, he's such a versatile weapon to field.

Yup.

On the note of defensive pressure and Judon, I’d love to see this as one of our pass rushing lineups:

—— Bowser ——— Queen ——— Judon ——

— Campbell—— Madubuike—— McPhee—

Those 6 could put QBs in the pressure cooker. What you mentioned earlier about that secondary collecting interceptions could happen real quick... especially considering NFL offenses are typically behind defenses through training camp and teams won’t get preseason games to get completely up to speed. The speed of that defense and the quality of that secondary could really catch teams off guard if it coalesces as well as we anticipate.

• Like 1

2019 Pressure Percentages of Returning and new Ravens(% of their pass rushes resulting in pressures), according to SIS- https://sisdatahub.com/

*Note: Remember not all rushes and subsequent pressures are created equal. Scheme, double teams, coverage, role, etc- It all plays a part. In case some of these numbers don't gel with what you remembered watching. Different services can come out with different totals too, so this is just SIS's set. I've also included some numbers from other pass rushers across the league to create a reference point for you. 

Reference

Nick Bosa: 15.6%  Joey Bosa: 15.2% Aaron Donald: 12.9%  Khalil Mack: 13.4% Cameron Jordan: 15.9%  JJ Watt: 15.3%  TJ Watt: 16.4%  Bud Dupree: 10.1%  Myles Garrett: 13.2%  Oliver Vernon: 11.3%  Carlos Dunlap: 12.5% Geno Atkins: 6.9% Chandler Jones: 12%  Za'Darius Smith: 16.2%  DeMarcus Lawrence: 15.6% Jadeveon Clowney: 11.7%  Yannick Ngakoue: 9.9%  Von Miller: 15.2%  Chris Jones: 10.8%  Frank Clark: 8.7%  Vita Vea: 8.5%  Fletcher Cox: 7% Michael Brockers: 6.8%

EDGE & DI

Matt Judon: 15.8%

Tyus Bowser: 15.1%

Calais Campbell: 13.3%  (-Replacing Chris Wormley: 4.1%)

Justin Madubuike: 11% *College Total

Jaylon Ferguson: 9.6%

Jihad Ward: 8.4%

Pernell McPhee: 7.8%

Derek Wolfe: 7.6%  (-Replacing Michael Pierce: 5%)

Brandon Williams: 2.9% 🐢🐢🐢

Reference

Darious Leonard- 36.5%  Luke Kuechly- 31%  Lavonte David- 28.7%  Joe Schoebert- 20%  Devin Bush- 17.9%  Bobby Wagner- 17.9%  Cory Littleton- 16.2%

Linebackers

Patrick Queen: 23% *College Total  (Replacing Josh Bynes: 13.3%)

LJ Fort: 22%

Malik Harrison: 21% *College Total

44 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

About what we expected. Rotational role, and I'm assuming he'll get a lot of pass rush looks. 

Excellent. I wonder what the rotation will look like. Who Madubuike subs in for the most. Williams as a pass rusher NT or will they rotate him in for Wolfe at DT.

All intents and purposes the team has also really liked Ward last season and we know McPhee can get buckets inside. Add in Jelly and Washington and it’s a pretty stacked unit and rotation to keep everyone fresh. Which will be important with so many veterans upfront. 

6 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Who Madubuike subs in for the most. Williams as a pass rusher NT or will they rotate him in for Wolfe at DT.

I think BWill would tap out on most occasions. No reason to inundate him with pass rush reps at his age, even more so when you factor in his grand inefficiency at it. His 2019 2.9% pressure rate was/is horrific. 

Campbell's ability to rush outside or inside a 4 man front opens up some interesting combinations for us. So I think we'll get a lot of different looks as the coaches settle on what lineup is best for each situation.