Jump to content

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Denzel mims is yet to play due to injury. If he were a raven, y’all would be calling him breshad perriman right now. 

Y’all?

You've got the wrong one. When have I buried a player without giving him plenty of rope to hang himself? Such a response definitely isn’t anything close to my M.O.

I actually KNOW Denzel Mims has yet to play a game, yet I’m standing by my analysis of him as a prospect and how I believed he along with a different scheme might have helped our offense (vs doing what they did and just prioritizing the rushing attack the same as they did last season.)

I think his blocking ability would’ve been reliable on the boundary which would’ve allowed Boykin to not have to see the field. Mims also runs the kinds of routes that can get himself open, even when he doesn’t he protects the QBs passes, and destroys zone coverage in a way that Lamar likes. His play at WR reminds me of how Mark Andrews plays the TE position. He was a perfect fit for Lamar IMO regardless of the scheme the coaches decided to roll with.

I even defended Boykin’s potential this offseason, I just didn’t trust him to actually elevate his play, considering how he never did so in college... which is why Mims was where I would have went. Not that I’ll fault EDC for going after the better talent in JKD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Y’all?

You've got the wrong one. When have I buried a player without giving him plenty of rope to hang himself? Such a response definitely isn’t anything close to my M.O.

I actually KNOW Denzel Mims has yet to play a game, yet I’m standing by my analysis of him as a prospect and how I believed he along with a different scheme might have helped our offense (vs doing what they did and just prioritizing the rushing attack the same as they did last season.)

I think his blocking ability would’ve been reliable on the boundary which would’ve allowed Boykin to not have to see the field. Mims also runs the kinds of routes that can get himself open, even when he doesn’t he protects the QBs passes, and destroys zone coverage in a way that Lamar likes. His play at WR reminds me of how Mark Andrews plays the TE position. He was a perfect fit for Lamar IMO regardless of the scheme the coaches decided to roll with.

I even defended Boykin’s potential this offseason, I just didn’t trust him to actually elevate his play, considering how he never did so in college... which is why Mims was where I would have went. Not that I’ll fault EDC for going after the better talent in JKD.

Fair. Perhaps I over-extrapolated.

Edited by sp6488

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Danand I think you intended this post for the offense thread. I'm gonna leave a link here just in case someone wants to look/reflect back on it later in the year(s). Coach has good content.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Clear Harbaugh recognizes they're failing in a variety of ways. Lot of work to be done this Bye Week.

 

Yup. Lamar is great throwing against zone coverage FTMP. Unfortunately defenses have adjusted and instead are giving him far more man looks now. Then containing Lamar as a runner but forcing Lamar to have to run up the middle. We only have two proven options to beat man coverage in Andrews and Hollywood. We’re going to need 1-2 more options to take the offense to the next level. 

That and Lamar’s got to improve his timing when passing to his receivers in 1v1 coverage. If Dobbins can activate as a legit receiver then perhaps he could be an extra option to make defenses pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup. Lamar is great throwing against zone coverage FTMP. Unfortunately defenses have adjusted and instead are giving him far more man looks now. Then containing Lamar as a runner but forcing Lamar to have to run up the middle. We only have two proven options to beat man coverage in Andrews and Hollywood. We’re going to need 1-2 more options to take the offense to the next level. 

That and Lamar’s got to improve his timing when passing to his receivers in 1v1 coverage. If Dobbins can activate as a legit receiver then perhaps he could be an extra option to make defenses pay.

1-2 options + a good receiving back is really all you need. Look at KC - outside of Kelce and Hill, who else do they have who can beat man coverage? Not a whole lot, but they utilize those weapons so well that it just doesn't matter anyways.

We have RB's who are straight up mismatches against anyone in coverage (Justice Hill and JK Dobbins), but refuse to get them the ball in space against those linebackers (for Hill, we don't even give him snaps in the first place). That, and it appears we don't scheme plays for Hollywood or MAndrews to beat man coverage, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Look at KC - outside of Kelce and Hill, who else do they have who can beat man coverage?

Mecole Hardman can beat it with his speed and Sammy Watkins can beat it whenever he decides to dial in.

Keep in mind I’m not saying guys NEED to be special, but having two above average options at beating man coverage in addition to Kelce and Hill is certainly enough.

So while we have two great weapons, we don’t have another option to lean on in the event that either Andrews or Hollywood are either playing hurt or bad. Andrews seems to have at least 2-3 games every season where he’s seemingly just trash where he’s dropping passes left and right and just not locked in. So sure 2 guys can get you through generally, but the reason I said were going to need 1-2 more is for the same reasons Kansas City has been able to thrive. Whenever Hill has gone down or Kelce is being removed from game plans by the defense, they can make opposing teams pay with guys who can at least be above average against man coverage due to their natural athleticism, solid route running, and solid hands.

Snead cannot separate against man coverage and Boykin can separate on the rare occasions where he’s not running either a lazy route or the incorrect route, we just don’t know when that will be.

So yeah if Duvernay can be someone that uses his speed and route toughness to activate against man coverage with in breaking routes and seams, then he could possibly as a rookie put himself in that above average kind of Mecole Hardman kind of space. We still however lack a third weapon that can decide to take over games like Watkins has shown he can do whenever the Chiefs need it. Maybe that’s what trading for a Jamison Crowder could provide for this offense if traded for? Either way we need that extra guy that can takeover in the event that one of our two options isn’t locked in... and if all three are locked in then we become nearly unbeatable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah we need an upgrade to fill what would be Sammy Watkins' role, since Miles Boykin clearly has no interest in doing that, but:

Brown == Hill

Duvernay == Hardman (kinda)

MAndrews == Kelce

So we have the core pieces there, we just need some more role pieces AND better coordination to get our guys open and get them targets in space.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah we need an upgrade to fill what would be Sammy Watkins' role, since Miles Boykin clearly has no interest in doing that, but:

Brown == Hill

Duvernay == Hardman (kinda)

MAndrews == Kelce

So we have the core pieces there, we just need some more role pieces AND better coordination to get our guys open and get them targets in space.

I wonder realistically what it would take to pry AJ Green from Cincy? Would a 4th round pick do it? Seeing him this past weekend, he doesn't look washed so much as working his way back alongside a rookie QB with a number of different options at wideout. Similar to Watkins, he could be that "star" we acquire because he's no longer a fit on his current team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah we need an upgrade to fill what would be Sammy Watkins' role, since Miles Boykin clearly has no interest in doing that, but:

Brown == Hill

Duvernay == Hardman (kinda)

MAndrews == Kelce

So we have the core pieces there, we just need some more role pieces AND better coordination to get our guys open and get them targets in space.

Expand this comparison-

QB:  Jackson  -   Mahomes

HB:  Dobbins/Ingram/Edwards    -   CEH/Bell/Williams

FB:   Ricard   -   Sherman

TE:  Andrews/Boyle    -   Kelce/Seals-Jones

WR:  Marquise Brown  -   Tyreek Hill

WR:  Miles Boykin  -   Sammy Watkins

WR:  Devin Duvernay  -  Mecole Hardman

WR: Willie Snead  -  Demarcus Robinson

WR: James Proche/Chris Moore  -  Byron Pringle

LT: Stanley  -   Fisher

RT: Brown Jr.  -  Schwartz

 

It's as you said, it isn't some massive pure talent gap - the teams are actually structured quite similarly.  We could use another weapon, but more than anything we need systemic changes in the passing game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I wonder realistically what it would take to pry AJ Green from Cincy? Would a 4th round pick do it? Seeing him this past weekend, he doesn't look washed so much as working his way back alongside a rookie QB with a number of different options at wideout. Similar to Watkins, he could be that "star" we acquire because he's no longer a fit on his current team.

I would do no more than a 5th for a rental. But I'm here for an AJ Green sighting in purple and black.

Free my mans Antonio Brown 😆

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve loved Green, but I already occupy enough fantasy trade options in my mind (Julio Jones, Denzel Mims, Quinnen Williams, Montez Sweat) I don’t think I’ve got any space left for AJ Green.

Probably slightly less realistic than Julio considering the division rival aspect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...