2020 ROT

DreamKid

9 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

So going forward, the Ravens offensive line should go...

Zues Jr. , Bozeman, Mekari, Powers, Fluker

Pick up old man Delanie Walker off the street and another blocking TE. Where do we go from here, gentlemen? 

I agree with that OL combo but it's not going to happen. Fluker has no pull with this coaching staff and they seem to love Skura, so it is what it is. Most likely we'll see Mekari at RT and Powers at RG, with Fluker on the bench.

We're gonna have to add 1-2 TE's off the street, I don't see any way around that.

19 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I agree with that OL combo but it's not going to happen. Fluker has no pull with this coaching staff and they seem to love Skura, so it is what it is. Most likely we'll see Mekari at RT and Powers at RG, with Fluker on the bench.

We're gonna have to add 1-2 TE's off the street, I don't see any way around that.

Which doesn't make any sense to me. Skura is clearly your weakest link right now and you continue to trout him out there to get his lunch money taken. I just don't understand it whatsoever. I can't even begin to know where we should go for 2 TE's. 

EDIT: @RavensTillIDie That's a good point and I completely forgot about him as well. I think things will stay the course and we still won't see him. 😆

Edited by RavensfanRD

4 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Which doesn't make any sense to me. Skura is clearly your weakest link right now and you continue to trout him out there to get his lunch money taken. I just don't understand it whatsoever. I can't even begin to know where we should go for 2 TE's. 

For whatever reason, the coaching staff sees Skura as their solidified Center and view Fluker as the weakest link on the OL, as demonstrated by the fact that he lost the starting RG job to a rookie who is terrible, and the fact he was benched during a monsoon for having a below-average game while Skura, who was having an even worse game, was not.

Given the lack of Boykin we saw last night, I wonder if they ask him to move to TE? Obviously this is a lot of moving parts, but what if...

-We move Boykin to TE
-We sign Luke Wilson
-Promote Dez
-Shift Skura to RG
-Shift Bozeman to C
-Insert Powers at LG
-Insert Mekari at RT

Better than changing nothing just remaining stagnant.

23 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Given the lack of Boykin we saw last night, I wonder if they ask him to move to TE? Obviously this is a lot of moving parts, but what if...

-We move Boykin to TE
-We sign Luke Wilson
-Promote Dez
-Shift Skura to RG
-Shift Bozeman to C
-Insert Powers at LG
-Insert Mekari at RT

Better than changing nothing just remaining stagnant.

Boykin is a great blocker, but he is very light as an inline blocker. Andrews has a great feel for the zone. Boykin not as much, but I could see it work just with having another big body in the slot.

I would give the oline a go like you suggested, although I think they will do as little shuffle as possible which would more likely mean Skura moving to RG, Mekari to RT and Bredeson or Castillo at OC.

2 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

All this OL talk made me realize, we have yet to see Bredeson on the field this season. All I ever heard were good things pre-draft, so a little surprised given all our injuries that he can't see even a little playing time. I mean, just how terrible must he be in practice to not see ANY time on THIS line?

I’m still baffled as to how the front office thought Bredeson was a better pick than taking a 4th round flyer on one of the best center prospects of the last decade, even if he did have multiple injuries, you’re still getting a guy that if he can be healthy, had premium A1 talent. Yet the Cowboys have Tyler Biadasz over there looking like the center of the future he was projected to be while we have Skura doing his best to try and snap the ball away to the opposing team, narrowly outwitted by his teammates recoveries of the football. SMDH. Still heated over this selection. It honestly pisses me off MORE than the fact I have to watch Chubb kill it for the Browns as we didn’t have much of a shot there, but had an obvious bead on Biadasz in the late 3rd and 4th where you take such gambles on players with medical issues. Even with how high I was on Mekari at center, Biadasz in the 4th was such a slamdunk move IMO. And now that we have the need, it REALLY irks me.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m still baffled as to how the front office thought Bredeson was a better pick than taking a 4th round flyer on one of the best center prospects of the last decade, even if he did have multiple injuries, you’re still getting a guy that if he can be healthy, had premium A1 talent. Yet the Cowboys have Tyler Biadasz over there looking like the center of the future he was projected to be while we have Skura doing his best to try and snap the ball away to the opposing team, narrowly outwitted by his teammates recoveries of the football. SMDH. Still heated over this selection. It honestly pisses me off MORE than the fact I have to watch Chubb kill it for the Browns as we didn’t have much of a shot there, but had an obvious bead on Biadasz in the late 3rd and 4th where you take such gambles on players with medical issues. Even with how high I was on Mekari at center, Biadasz in the 4th was such a slamdunk move IMO. And now that we have the need, it REALLY irks me.

To be fair to Bredeson, we have no idea at this point how good or bad he actually is, so I'd like to reserve judgement until he actually gets some playing time. With that said, I feel like his selection may have a slight tinge of nepotism to it. In the sense that maybe one Harbaugh put in a good word with the other and they pushed for him ahead of other, possibly, more talented prospects. Not actually based on anything factual at all, but given his usage this season and who else was available around that pick, something just feels off there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

To be fair to Bredeson, we have no idea at this point how good or bad he actually is, so I'd like to reserve judgement until he actually gets some playing time. With that said, I feel like his selection may have a slight tinge of nepotism to it. In the sense that maybe one Harbaugh put in a good word with the other and they pushed for him ahead of other, possibly, more talented prospects. Not actually based on anything factual at all, but given his usage this season and who else was available around that pick, something just feels off there.

Agreed. This was my assumption at the time too. And I also am not judging Bredeson as bad either. But I will contend that I will judge both Phillips and Bredeson especially to Tyler Biadasz. Both were basically 4th round picks and both were guys we went with above Biadasz. I honestly sort of get the Phillips pick. We’ve seen OT converts move to guard and absolutely dominate plenty of times. So I can’t particularly fault that one. No way to know until you try it... and we did have need at guard.

But the Bredeson pick, considering we announced Phillips (the pick) as a guard at the time and considering we had just taken Powers the year before... just didn’t seem to make sense. Why not get a center that had some guard versatility instead vs a guard who might have center versatility?

At the time of the pick, nepotism was my best explanation. That and medical concerns being far worse than even the reports speculated with Biadasz. But Biadasz play has revealed he at least seems to be healthy enough to still perform like the prospect he looked to be (which was better than Frank Ragnow).

I don’t know. Hopefully we’re just redshirting Bredeson to get him some additional sand in his pants before trotting him out there. But Mekari made instant impact at IOL from the jump, so it doesn’t seem like the coaches are adverse to putting young OL out there. Just weird that they would give Philips the shot, but not the also young guard in Bredeson.

• Like 1

Bredeson is supposed to be a really, really smart guy. Not sure if he's on the level of John Urschel smarts but maybe so. That was one of the biggest factors I felt the pick was made for.

If I  had to pick a new OL combination to try this season it would be Brown / Bredeson / Bozeman / Powers / Mekari. That's too drastic of a move to actually happen because NFL coaches are supremely risk-adverse but what they're throwing out there hasn't worked all season even when everyone was healthy.

I'm not a big fan of Skura even without the snapping issues. He's okay, but is always going to be the weak link as a starter. Let him be the interior backup option with Fluker the emergency option at tackle. Bozeman isn't a ton better but I feel he's just more solid. Colon-Castillo is a wildcard. Wouldn't mind seeing if he has anything to offer.

It would be nice to see the coaches just do something instead of sticking their heads in the sand and hoping the negative issues will turn themselves around all on their own. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Not saying I agree or anything but appreciate someone in the MSM actually encouraging the ravens to let Lamar work. 

My heart can’t contain how much I love this post and what he says here.

I was with the offense doing this LAST season because why not? We bullied the league to excellence. But we don’t want to expose Lamar to big hits if we don’t have to and when you spread defenses out, it allows him to see the entirety of the field. It means when he scrambles, he can scramble intelligently and get 6 yards here, 3 yards there, or 50 yards if somehow he gets a legit crease and defenses are in zero and he finds a way to escape.

But more importantly, having more receivers on the field means it plays to Lamar’s strengths as a passer. He doesn’t have a canon for an arm, but he’s at his best with anticipation to the middle of the field. He can thread the ball in those scenarios. His foot work is good in those situations. Consistently give him multiple options attacking every level within the hashes with guys who actually have a chance to separate vs man or get open vs zone coverage.

How about 2-3 snaps in the game going with:

Hollywood- Snead - Duvernay- Proche- Bryant

No RBs, no TEs (Andrews can’t play every snap anyway). Just see how defenses react and play those formations. See how Lamar looks in spreading the ball. Does it work? Is it trash? It could fail miserably, maybe we don’t have enough talent at receiver. I just want them to switch SOMETHING up to give Lamar (and more importantly the offense at large) a better chance to succeed. We finally started passing more on 1st down against the Pats, more than we had been doing in previous games, which I commend Roman for doing. Perhaps it was always the plan? To pass more on 1st down post bye week?

All I know is Steve Young is right. Lamar is a good enough QB that we should at least give him and the receivers a few plays a game to see if they can handle it and if they can then build off of it moving forward. 

Boykin might look effective at WR if he’s going up against #3 and #4 type corner talents instead of top 2 corner talents as he’s been. I still remember how the man absolutely abused corners in preseason games, have to think we could get him into more mismatch opportunities that way. How about Hollywood Brown, could we get him more 1v1 opportunities against corners that aren’t AP/PB level talents?

I mean Joe Burrow and Tua have about the same level of arm talent as Lamar IMO, yet they’re able to spread the ball around for success. Copycat league, see what Lamar is truly made of back there.