2020 ROT

DreamKid

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

Bredeson is supposed to be a really, really smart guy. Not sure if he's on the level of John Urschel smarts but maybe so. That was one of the biggest factors I felt the pick was made for.

If I  had to pick a new OL combination to try this season it would be Brown / Bredeson / Bozeman / Powers / Mekari. That's too drastic of a move to actually happen because NFL coaches are supremely risk-adverse but what they're throwing out there hasn't worked all season even when everyone was healthy.

I'm not a big fan of Skura even without the snapping issues. He's okay, but is always going to be the weak link as a starter. Let him be the interior backup option with Fluker the emergency option at tackle. Bozeman isn't a ton better but I feel he's just more solid. Colon-Castillo is a wildcard. Wouldn't mind seeing if he has anything to offer.

It would be nice to see the coaches just do something instead of sticking their heads in the sand and hoping the negative issues will turn themselves around all on their own. 

My biggest hope with Bredeson is hoping that he’s our center of the future. That perhaps the team felt Lamar had limitations with reading the line protections and wanted to bring in an Ivy League whiz kid to do it for him. That they felt Bredeson with more experience could be a Matt Birk kind of option.

I won’t pretend to have been a big fan of his tape. I also didn’t hate it. I think Bredeson in any draft where Biadasz wasn’t available would have been a quality 4th round pick, so hopefully he does well for us. I just don’t necessarily see the same level of play. But to your suggestion, I also wouldn’t be against seeing him in there at LG. Looking back over his college tape, I could certainly see a path where he could provide Bozeman level play at the LG spot, if not a little more. I don’t know about combine breakdowns, but he looks like a better athlete on tape than Bozeman.

In terms of my ideal/realistic OL moving forward?

I’d personally stick with Fluker. He held up well enough against the Steelers and Colts prolific units. I think he should get more opportunity there than what terrible game in conditions where I’m sure it’s got to be difficult for a 350 lbs OL to move around and keep their balance. So I’d go:

Brown - Bozeman - Mekari - Skura - Fluker

Skura can hopefully help to continue making any line calls, he’d continue to see live game action and while I think he’s average, he’d do well out there with understanding how to pickup stunts and complicated blitzes, whereas some of the younger guys might not be as practiced in that capacity.

Gonna say it, if we try to run our offense 100% the same after Boyle's injury and this OL shuffle, I'm going to be very disappointed. It wasn't working that well before and now it's only going to be worse.

Also stop giving Mark Ingram 1st down carries.

Edited by M.10.E

17 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Gonna say it, if we try to run our offense 100% the same after Boyle's injury and this OL shuffle, I'm going to be very disappointed. It wasn't working that well before and now it's only going to be worse.

Also stop giving Mark Ingram 1st down carries.

Stop giving Mark Ingram the reps that should be going to JK Dobbins in the first place. Ingram and Gus should be the late-game hammers/goal line backs, and Dobbins should be the every-down back who gets the ball in space.

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Stop giving Mark Ingram the reps that should be going to JK Dobbins in the first place. Ingram and Gus should be the late-game hammers/goal line backs, and Dobbins should be the every-down back who gets the ball in space.

Honestly, I really liked the way we rotated backs every 1-2 plays(when Ingram was hurt) and I think that should continue. 

Edited by Boodgyman5220

If the rumor is true that they're moving forward with Bozeman at center (JLC) then who you rolling with at guard? I think they go with Mekari at RT so probably move Skura to RG and Powers to LG?

When Phillips comes back I kinda like the idea of him and Fluker playing at both guard spots so we can just straight SHOVE

Edited by BareYourTeeth

18 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

If the rumor is true that they're moving forward with Bozeman at center (JLC) then who you rolling with at guard? I think they go with Mekari at RT so probably move Skura to RG and Powers to LG?

When Phillips comes back I kinda like the idea of him and Fluker playing at both guard spots so we can just straight SHOVE

At this point, why not just cut Fluker? You're obviously not interested in playing him in any way, you can probably get cheaper depth options. I just don't get it.

1 hour ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Just out of curiosity, where have these rumors floated from? Like is it just fan speculation or is there some specific meet to this?

In terms of the question, if Bozeman goes to center, it depends on what they decide to do with Mekari. Personally I’d prefer to keep Fluker starting. I think the wet field was just tough on him. He wasn’t as good at keeping his balance and getting his feet moving as quickly as others. So I think I’d keep Fluker at RT moving forward seeing as though he’s given us two quality games there to one bad half.

I’d rather we give Skura first dibs at the guard spots. Even though I’d rather see if we have more from one of the young guys like Powers and/or Bredeson, I also want to keep Skura as a viable FA candidate for the comp pick formula. Benching him outright, especially if the backup isn’t going to provide notably increased returns, wouldn’t be as preferable IMO.

EDIT: But again, I wouldn’t be mad if Skura were outright benched considering he’s our 2nd lowest ranked/worst OL on the season. I don’t always agree with PFF, but in this instance, they have him about a full 10 points lower than the rest of our OL: LT- Brown Jr, 76.4
LG- Bozeman, 65.0
C- Skura, 50.6
RG- Mekari, 68.3
RT- Fluker, 62.7

RG- Powers, 66.0
RG- Philips, 49.0

Now I’m sure the last two games have adversely pulled Skura’s numbers down, but I’m pretty sure it was still in the high 50s prior to these bad snap performances IIRC. Point is, if he gets benched entirely, there’s good enough reason for it. Also I’d prefer in that scenario that we move Powers to LG to play next to Brown Jr. They played together in college and thus should already have communication with one another. Powers played LG for the Sooners during his All American season. I’d rather we put the OL components back together in a way that could benefit the chemistry. Allows us to keep Mekari at RG where he’s looked promising enough, while also having him in position to take the RT snaps if needed.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Jason La Canfora

I can’t recall is Jason La Canfora someone we particularly trust or is he one of those in the media that just speculate a lot of random stuff to hope to land on something every now and again?

I’m just wondering how much stock we should be attributing to these rumors.

I don’t want to get my hopes up too much. 😆

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I can’t recall is Jason La Canfora someone we particularly trust or is he one of those in the media that just speculate a lot of random stuff to hope to land on something every now and again?

I’m just wondering how much stock we should be attributing to these rumors.

I don’t want to get my hopes up too much. 😆

He is from Baltimore, so of the national reporters he's probably the most clued in on Ravens stuff. 

He was the one that first reported on the player leadership council pushing to get rid of Earl Thomas, but he does have a reputation for just throwing stuff out there and hoping its right too

• Like 1