2020 ROT

DreamKid

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Don't worry, Greg Roman has chosen the "NAH NAH NAH CAN'T HEAR YOU!" method of self-evaluation.

If people in the media are picking up on tendencies like Dan Orlovsky and Cynthia Freelund have, you can be damn sure other NFL teams are too

OTOH he's hardly going to admit to the media that he is too predictable either

7 hours ago, drd23 said:

If people in the media are picking up on tendencies like Dan Orlovsky and Cynthia Freelund have, you can be damn sure other NFL teams are too

OTOH he's hardly going to admit to the media that he is too predictable either

Even Romans media strategy is predictable.... 

Tbqh after actually watching the Roman interview, call me naive, but I got the sense that he actually has taken the heat to heart. He sounded like he was just trying to say the right things. But he did say the offense will look to “forge a new identity moving forward.”

Now could this just mean that our identity will be a worse version of what Boyle gave us as we look to insert Luke Wilson into a prominent role within the offense? Could be. But it also could mean he’ll be looking to utilize more spread formations moving forward and potentially utilize the passing attack more often on 1st downs.

He also acknowledged that Dez Bryant has made improvements and said and I’ll paraphrase, “I have no doubt that if Dez continues to progress at his current pace, that he’ll become an important component to our offense.” Something like that anyway.

The Titans defense hasn’t been particularly good this season so how we choose to attack them and what personnel/players we choose to prioritize moving forward could say a lot about what Roman meant in his interview on the subject.

Ideally Roman will figure out how to build a more modern passing attack moving forward while also continuing to inspire a great rushing attack. Especially since he doesn’t seem to be the favorite “Head Coching type” around the league. It would be nice to be a great team this time around and actually be able to retain our top coaching talent for a few years, but we’ll see how if Roman can prove to be capable of wanting to retain. He’s got an opportunity to close out this season. We’ll see how he responds.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah, I have no idea what happened to him. I went on my hiatus from here and he was gone upon my return.

IIRC, he started getting frustrated (in general) with forum rules/moderation and ended up getting banned. Don't recall what really set him off, but I think he felt there was a double standard for some posters vs others.

• Like 1

So. Does anybody have a shred of hope that the offense can turns things around without the offensive line undergoing some kind of drastic improvement? Because I don't. Not even a little bit. There were a few of us that harped on the offensive line thing during the important bits of the offseason and it looks like our worst fears have manifested. Lamar does not in fact make having a good offensive line inconsequential. Nobody does.

So even if Roman starts calling an offense that fits the current offensive situation (double entendre!) I'm not sure it matters. Plays are dead in the water before they can develop. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Lamar does not in fact make having a good offensive line inconsequential. Nobody does.

^^This was always a ridiculous notion. Lamar benefits from a clean/secure pocket as much as any QB.

The combination of a 2020 regression in his own abilities, the collapse of our line play, and Roman embarrassing himself has been truly devastating for our young MVP- and obviously.. the team at large.

• 2 weeks later...

While I’d love to be talking more about our ability to pass the football, our rushing attack currently sits 135 yards above the next closest unit in the Cleveland Browns. Stopping their run game next week and eating on the ground ourselves would go a long way to once again taking the rushing crown and joining a decently small club of teams to repeat rushing crowns.

Watching this Bills/Steelers game is making me mad all over again about how much a true #1 receiver can help an offense and how we've failed to deliver on that for Lamar. Most of the first half Josh Allen looked erratic and confused without any easy looks to get him into a rhythm. 

Then lo and behold, he starts honing in on Diggs who is just getting open on every single play and a flip switches, not just for him but also in terms of opening up all of the role players to find their spots. 

Not to say Lamar is where I had hoped he'd be as a passer this year - he isn't - but my god do we make it hard for ourselves from a passing standpoint between a crappy scheme and JAG receivers. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Watching this Bills/Steelers game is making me mad all over again about how much a true #1 receiver can help an offense and how we've failed to deliver on that for Lamar. Most of the first half Josh Allen looked erratic and confused without any easy looks to get him into a rhythm. 

Then lo and behold, he starts honing in on Diggs who is just getting open on every single play and a flip switches, not just for him but also in terms of opening up all of the role players to find their spots. 

Not to say Lamar is where I had hoped he'd be as a passer this year - he isn't - but my god do we make it hard for ourselves from a passing standpoint between a crappy scheme and JAG receivers. 

Strong agree. In Hollywood we’ve got our deep threat, but we need a chain moving do it all option. Someone that’s just a true go to option with a legit catch radius.