2020 ROT

DreamKid

If it is Culley, I don't see anything changing anytime soon. It's looking more and more likely that we retain Roman, and I can only see a new OC coming in and ripping pass game coordinator duties free from Culley. Harbaugh isn't going to shake anything up. So it looks like this is just going to be the state of things for the foreseeable future. It's a shame.

😂 Kurt is legit angry in that clip.

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

😂 Kurt is legit angry in that clip.

That he is.

The first two plays he breaks down basically boil down to "WTF are they teaching these WRs to do?" and then the rest of them are "These are just a bunch a routes with no concept built in to isolate defenders or give the QB a true progression. WTF are you expecting your QB to do?"

Kurt comes off as a really down to earth nice guy too. I haven't seen him analyze much tape outside of the fluff piece studio environment, so maybe he routinely takes on the more serious temperament with that channel's content IDK. His anger is def noticeably though.

I think part of it comes from him liking Jackson and feeling for him being forced to navigate our rudimentary concepts. Kurt was pro Lamar pre and post draft, and has defended him from lazy critics. Knowing what a young QB goes through in general, and knowing the nonsense Lamar personally has to deal with- I'm sure him watching us put LJ in terrible situations like this adds another level of aggravation. Probably feels like we're sabotaging him, and watching that clip...it's hard to argue that we aren't. 

Get the feeling he's not high on Ricard at SWR for us either 🙃.

26 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Kurt comes off as a really down to earth nice guy too. I haven't seen him analyze much tape outside of the fluff piece studio environment, so maybe he routinely takes on the more serious temperament with that channel's content IDK. His anger is def noticeably though.

I think part of it comes from him liking Jackson and feeling for him being forced to navigate our rudimentary concepts. Kurt was pro Lamar pre and post draft, and has defended him from lazy critics. Knowing what a young QB goes through in general, and knowing the nonsense Lamar personally has to deal with- I'm sure him watching us put LJ in terrible situations like this adds another level of aggravation. Probably feels like we're sabotaging him, and watching that clip...it's hard to argue that we aren't. 

Get the feeling he's not high on Ricard at SWR for us either 🙃.

Almost completely unrelated tangent, but this made me think of (for some reason) how much ESPN squandered Ray Lewis as an analyst. They clearly asked him to lean into "rah-rah leader" Ray Lewis, which is certainly one of his known personas, but I thought he could have been amazing if he brought his film junkie side to the role. By all accounts, he's one of the best studied defenders ever, he and Reed hanging on the offdays watching film is a thing of local legends. 

• Like 1

You're right, he's at his best when he's dissecting. It's always fun watching him break down film on Inside the NFL.

Wish we could handcuff him to Patrick Queen for an apprenticeship this offseason. PQ would probably be in the market for a gun 10 minutes in, but he'd come out the other side of it better off lol.

7 hours ago, drd23 said:

Feels like everything Warner brings up in that video is David Culley's responsibility as the WR coach/passing game coordinator

This really isn’t a 1:1 correlation. Pass Game Coordinators are known to just be a title dump to pay a guy a little more without upsetting the established financial balance of a coaching staff.

I recently heard Harbaugh describe the fact that Matt Weiss the RB’s coach and Roman are the ones that draw up the red zone plays. You’d think the pass game coordinator would be responsible for that design.

That title could simply be a seniority way to pay him additional money. What we DO know is that in every single stop that Greg Roman has had as an OC, he’s been a SERIOUS problem in designing pass games. There is no debate IMO about who is chiefly responsible for the Ravens woes in designing quality passing attacks.

I think the fact that Roman has led such a wildly successful rushing attack, yet has received absolutely NO looks is absolutely telling as well as to who the league finds to blame for the Ravens passing attack struggles.

I think the idea that keeping Roman on staff and just bringing in some magical pass game coordinator to fix his OC flaws is highly idealistic. No coach worth their salt is going to want to play second fiddle to Roman, no matter how hard Harbaugh pimps them. The only solution to the passing game is sacrificing Roman’s run game for someone that can be a capable pass game designer.

Whether David Culley is useless might be in question, but the idea that Roman isn’t the one chiefly to blame for the passing attack, I don’t feel like is of any sort of debate. The Ravens passing attack won’t improve until Roman leaves, of that, I feel confident to assert.

In probably every NFL team designing the playbook is a collaborate effort among offensive coaches - Culley said himself that building the playbook had been a collaboration.  I wouldn't put the entire blame for poor play design on him, but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't seem like he's fixed any of them either.  Maybe I just got my hopes up too much that he might have actually been able to bring some of that Andy Reid offensive magic with him when he joined from KC and finally give us passing plays that schemed guys open

But the first two plays Warner breaks down in that video fall squarely on the WR coach (and maybe the TE coach) because it was purely about how you should run those particular routes when faced with being covered by the defense as they were.

• 2 months later...

We doing this again this offseason with Boykin? Like I said last offseason, you can take ANY receiver in the league on any team with that many snaps and circle a ton of plays where they are "open" for one moment in the route but clearly not the target of the play. That guy put together evidence that (taking his "open" classification as valid) Boykin could have been a 62+19 (real life catches) = 81 catch receiver if the QB only threw perfect no look passes to him on every snap and protection and his catch ability was perfect on every snap. Not really ground breaking stuff. Tell me ANY receiver with >500 snaps and I can make a video where he looks as good or better at getting open.*

*Being figurative, that'd take too much time for me to bother.

You just can not evaluate WRs that way. Watch all the snaps he has in a game and you won't question why Lamar looks his way less than Willie Snead.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

We doing this again this offseason with Boykin? Like I said last offseason, you can take ANY receiver in the league on any team with that many snaps and circle a ton of plays where they are "open" for one moment in the route but clearly not the target of the play. That guy put together evidence that (taking his "open" classification as valid) Boykin could have been a 62+19 (real life catches) = 81 catch receiver if the QB only threw perfect no look passes to him on every snap and protection and his catch ability was perfect on every snap. Not really ground breaking stuff. Tell me ANY receiver with >500 snaps and I can make a video where he looks as good or better at getting open.*

*Being figurative, that'd take too much time for me to bother.

You just can not evaluate WRs that way. Watch all the snaps he has in a game and you won't question why Lamar looks his way less than Willie Snead.

For anyone reasonably seasoned in evaluating offenses, all of the above is known/understood. 

It's not a vindication piece for Boykin imo, but really a showcase for the kind of missed opportunities that can frequently occur within a dysfunctional offense.

Non ideal protection will not only continue to jeopardize our offense's ceiling but make Lamar's developmental process harder as well. Non ideal pass catchers will continue to not draw Lamar's attention/eye to the degree we want, and lessen the overall impact of the steps forward Lamar does take with his passing ability. 

Taking care of both issues are key for the 2021 season.