2020 Rookie Talk.

DreamKid

Would love to see what Duvernay can do more as a receiver. I'd be surprised if he's got enough polish in his routes to be a consistent weapon but if we're already using him in the screen game I see no reason why we also can't send him out on go routes and and try and get some juice going in the deep passing game. 

Honestly would just love to see Lamar get on the same page with anyone in terms of his deep throws right now... 

4 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Would love to see what Duvernay can do more as a receiver. I'd be surprised if he's got enough polish in his routes to be a consistent weapon but if we're already using him in the screen game I see no reason why we also can't send him out on go routes and and try and get some juice going in the deep passing game. 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 12:47 PM, SalvadorsDeli said:

Honestly would just love to see Lamar get on the same page with anyone in terms of his deep throws right now... 

I think this is a bit of an overreaction to one really bad week, personally. He looked plenty in sync with receivers in week one throwing it down the field.

Yeah and really we don’t particularly have many examples of deep ball targets. Andrews has typically operated in the intermediate attack. Besides Hollywood, all the other receivers seem to exclusively be running shorter routes. Snead is more intermediate. None truly have the speed to challenge and scare defenses. This is the aspect that Hurst did add to a degree. He could expose defenses deep on those TE seam routes. Not that I’m missing Hurst because the solution is on the roster. The team needs to place Duvernay in there on go routes up the seam out of the slot. Move him around off motion (to threaten defenses with his running ability) and then use him as a zone buster deep. It’ll be hard to double Andrews when you’ve got Duvernay blowing past in the middle of the field. Defenses will have to decide whether or not they want to double Andrews or undressed by Duvernay off a 50 yd bomb. It’ll also help to give Hollywood more space to operate as he sees the other bulk of defensive attention. I just don’t understand why using Duvernay to clear out space for Andrews and draw deep coverage attention from Hollywood wasn’t instituted from the jump.

I mean, I think it says a lot that we’d rather insert plays that build up our already strong run game with using him on end arounds (which I’m cool with doing, just not over prioritizing him as an extra deep threat). I think it speaks to our offensive personnel’s inability to develop a fleshed out passing attack. Teams can sell out to stop the run and everything short and have consistently done so come the past few postseasons and divisional games (Steelers and Browns).

It’s why I wanted Denzel Mims and was hoping this team would commit to establishing a stronger passing attack. I think the secret sauce is Lamar as a 3800-4000 yds passer and a 800-1000 yds rusher. That kind of offensive attack balance I feel would best allow this team to be a run dominant team while still being versatile enough to beat teams if we struggle on the ground. As it stands if a team can stop our rushing attack and short/intermediate passing attack (still a tall order for most teams), then they’ve got a great chance at beating us.

However if Brown Jr can get back to his 2019 form, Philips can grow as the season progresses, and we can incorporate Duvernay as a deep threat down the interior seem, I don’t think there’s a team in the NFL that we can’t beat. Only the Chiefs would provide me some pause.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1