2020 Rookie Talk.

DreamKid

I think Proche reminds me of when we had (what was his name) Chris Carr at PR. Very consistent and very good hands to field.

He’s also making consistently better decisions about when to return. I think there was one return earlier in the season (maybe against the Browns?) where he could have fair caught the ball but stayed clear because it was near our endzone and he didn’t want to give up a TD if he dropped it. Fast forward to most recently where he’s engaged in returns from within our 15 yard line. I’d definitely agree that his confidence has grown.

I just, like with Chris Carr, don’t believe Proche is “special” but with our defense and what our offense has the potential to be, we don’t particularly NEED special. We just need a guy who isn’t going to result in mistakes. 

25 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

LOL. Every time he’s in the backfield defenses decide to eat on our OL. It’s like he’s a magnet for defensive penetration. Dude has to be Barry Sanders just to get to the LOS, would love to see our OL actually block well for him on a few plays so we can REALLY see what he’s made of.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

LOL. Every time he’s in the backfield defenses decide to eat on our OL. It’s like he’s a magnet for defensive penetration. Dude has to be Barry Sanders just to get to the LOS, would love to see our OL actually block well for him on a few plays so we can REALLY see what he’s made of.

Dobbins ability to outrun pursuit angles within that initial 10-15 yards is special. You really notice it on outside runs. 

Here's Waldman talking about it-

IIRC Ledyard is a Steelers fan who was high up with TDN(The Draft Network) right as they were blowing up 2 years ago. Only to be fired not long after when someone dug through his tweets and found racist & homophobic content.

Edit:

Ledyard admitting his actionshttps://medium.com/@jledge15/time-for-a-change-627257f629a

-Given all that has occurred with my recent suspension from The Draft Network for racist and homophobic tweets from years ago-

Some of the content in question(Some notable shots at Terrell Suggs in here, so bias against PQ shouldn't be surprising)- https://blacksportsonline.com/2019/03/draft-website-accidentally-posts-one-of-their-writers-john-ledyard-homophobic-tweets-the-internet-detectives-found-more-of-them-and-some-borderline-racist-ones-as-well-deleted-tweets/

Edited by DreamKid
Verifying Claims

Meanwhile we had a center coming off a torn ACL, MCL, and PCL (?)... something like that and went with Ben Bredeson?

Biadasz was the best center prospect I’ve scouted, I’m an armchair scout... so that means squat. I’ve been wrong about the likes of JJAWs and Andy Isabella in recent years (though I was equally right with my Scary Terry evaluation). Point is, I’m willing to accept that I can be wrong on prospects.

I don’t know enough about Biadasz knees to know what that means for his NFL career from his medical concerns, but all I know is this is the bar by which I measure Bredeson and to a lesser extent Tyre Phillips career because the Ravens chose to go with those guys vs going with Biadasz.

How much better would the Ravens look with Biadasz at center and one of Skura, Fluker, or Patrick Mekari starting at RG... two of which had a great enough grasp on the position, the offense, and the blocking schemes to not constantly give up free blitzers like early in the season for Phillips or interrupt the pitch play on a pull like Philips did this past game.

Now again Philips is more a pick for the future with his potential, I get it. But I see no excuse for picking Bredeson over Biadasz. The excuses were weak then and they’re growing weaker by the game. While Biadasz looks to be growing into a future probowl center like I projected, Bredeson has yet to make an impact.

Now that’s harsh to expect much from a 4th round rookie, I know. But the team had two IOL spots WIDE OPEN for grabs if a prospect showed enough. Philips showed enough and got the start. While the Cowboys in a similar circumstance showed enough and also got the start. Bredeson didn’t show enough and is buried on the depth chart with Ben Powers. If the team lacked faith in Powers, Biadasz still could have moved to guard, but the center versatility should’ve been far more important... not to mention he was the superior player to boot.

This is like Nick Chubb all over again. Only the Chubb mistake was quickly followed by Gus Edwards activating while our IOL is still mediocre.

I can somewhat understand Biadasz falling to round 4 with injuries to knees, hip and shoulder. Depending on medical red flag, I can not see how he was a worse talent than Bredeson, especially as we were in a position where he could sit and get healthy and didn't have to start right away.

In all the "fire Greg Roman" talk, I think we should consider how much of his scheme hide weaknesses on our oline, as I think it often seems the interior especially lose their 1on1 battles.

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Ken McCusick (as well as the danes I write with) are very excited about PQ in the run game, and much more concerned in the passing game. The guys I talk with that digs deep into the all 22 as well as the analytics are not happy with Queen in coverage unless it is man coverage. I wonder how far they will go to have him "learn" to play zone this year.