Lions decline 5th year option on Jarrad Davis

Nnivolcm

The Detroit Lions have decided to decline the fifth-year option on linebacker Jarrad Davis’ contract, according to a report by NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

The Lions had until Monday’s deadline to officially decide whether to exercise the option worth about $10 million on Davis’ contract for 2021.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/05/02/jarrad-davis-contract-detroit-lions-nfl/3061748001/

On 5/2/2020 at 9:17 PM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Honestly, part of me is hoping that he has a strong year, carves out a role in Patricia's defense and gets re-signed at a reasonable rate. The guy has the right mentality and certain physical traits. (And, hey, I love me a good story line.)

I just hope they use him as an OLB that will blitz and play some zone. Just don't leave him out to dry one on one vs Kelce or really any TE or RB lol. BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ and then throw them off with a drop back or cover the flat. I like him. But I get where everyone is coming from with him kind pf sucking at MLB. or at least being just average for a 1st rd pick. and first LB off the board if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 9:17 PM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Honestly, part of me is hoping that he has a strong year, carves out a role in Patricia's defense and gets re-signed at a reasonable rate. The guy has the right mentality and certain physical traits. (And, hey, I love me a good story line.)

I want Davis to work out and remain as a member of the Lions. I just don't want him to do it at that cost and in the role he has been up until this point. 

He wasn't drafted to play in our current scheme. They obviously like the guy and have been trying to make it work. 

• Like 1

I maintain Davis would be far worse in some kind of rush-LB role than he will be continuing as an ILB.

I'd give him more of a chance of finally becoming a good player as a ILB than having any kind of success, like, taking over for Kennard. He'd have tire treads across his face on a weekly basis if they tried that stuff.

11 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I maintain Davis would be far worse in some kind of rush-LB role than he will be continuing as an ILB.

I'd give him more of a chance of finally becoming a good player as a ILB than having any kind of success, like, taking over for Kennard. He'd have tire treads across his face on a weekly basis if they tried that stuff.

I dont get this line of thinking.  He is 10 lbs lighter than Kennard but that doesn't mean weaker, he is also faster.  So he isnt built to rush every down, but then again, Kennard didn't.  He is horrible covering from the middle and reading plays so just send him.  Its literally the only thing he has really been good at so to say he would be worse at it is ignoring his career until now. 

• Like 1

No, it's saying that there's actually nothing he's been really good at.

He's got 10 sacks in three seasons. And those sacks came with him rushing the passer rarely, and almost never being expected to rush. On some of his sacks he faced no blocking at all. He has good speed and was able to find good blitz angles sometimes when no one knew he was coming.

If he ever lined up regularly in a rush end, on-ball position, where someone was assigned to pass block only him, he would get trashed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

No, it's saying that there's actually nothing he's been really good at.

He's got 10 sacks in three seasons. And those sacks came with him rushing the passer rarely, and almost never being expected to rush. On some of his sacks he faced no blocking at all. He has good speed and was able to find good blitz angles sometimes when no one knew he was coming.

If he ever lined up regularly in a rush end, on-ball position, where someone was assigned to pass block only him, he would get trashed.

Davis certainly isn't the player that they felt he could have be when they selected him years ago, and, for years, they played him in a role that didn't suit his abilities. He's terrible in coverage, and shouldn't be expected to cover anything - at any point - but that doesn't make him useless in all phases of the game. He has shown that he can be strong against the run and pressure the quarterback (both in a situational capacity). It makes me think that he has some usage as an early-down, run-stopping LBer that can occasionally be sent to apply pressure from a different angle.

Pure rusher? Nah. Coverage linebacker? No way. An early-down rotational option with a limited, specific assignment? Yeah, I can see it.

3 hours ago, MortexLion said:

Davis will be a rotatonal LB that rushes the outside with different Run Defense packages..can't see him lined up on the line of srimmige but on the heels of the R or L DE..I don't see him on the team after this year period..

Nope, me either.