Sign in to follow this  
RaidersAreOne

Bears not picking up fifth-year option on QB Mitch Trubisky

Classic example of a guy who checked all the boxes but just didn't have the "it" factor.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, brooks1957 said:

Wow - they swapped 1st round picks - then traded 2 3rd round and a 4th round pick - all to move up one spot to select Trubisky. Now they are not picking up his 5th year option. And now - they have to burn another high draft choice on a QB.

Those are the kind of decisions that are career enders for coaches and GMs.

That trade makes it an all-time bad draft selection. They could have moved down a few spots and got Mahomes or Watson instead.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That's your take on Minshew? For around half of his rookie season, on a team that was falling apart? Case Keenum? 

Yeah, pretty much. Could be a dynamic player when a play goes off script, where he could open up passing lanes by running around laterally behind the LOS, but if you contain him and make him play in the pocket and maintain the script of a play, you'll get some pretty disasterous results. 

Keenum was under a similar situation his rookie year, playing for a Texans team that would end up going 2-14. It looked exciting, but you eventually saw Keenum for who he was - a great sandlot style QB, could make some highlight reel plays, but a semi disciplined defense could render him useless.

I could be wrong on Minshew, but this is the rock I'll stand on with him. He's Case Keenum, wheeling and dealing and making some nice plays, but offsetting those plays with a 13 yard sack, followed by a pick six...

39 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Bruce Allen traded a 2nd for the dinosaur body of Donovan McNabb, traded 3 firsts and a 2nd for RG3 and let Kirk Cousins walk for nothing and still didn’t get fired.

I’m so sorry.

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2020 at 2:37 PM, Heinz D. said:

That's your take on Minshew? For around half of his rookie season, on a team that was falling apart? Case Keenum? 

But BDN literally lost snaps to Case Keenum... On the Rams.

Edited by HoboRocket

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, pretty much. Could be a dynamic player when a play goes off script, where he could open up passing lanes by running around laterally behind the LOS, but if you contain him and make him play in the pocket and maintain the script of a play, you'll get some pretty disasterous results. 

Keenum was under a similar situation his rookie year, playing for a Texans team that would end up going 2-14. It looked exciting, but you eventually saw Keenum for who he was - a great sandlot style QB, could make some highlight reel plays, but a semi disciplined defense could render him useless.

I could be wrong on Minshew, but this is the rock I'll stand on with him. He's Case Keenum, wheeling and dealing and making some nice plays, but offsetting those plays with a 13 yard sack, followed by a pick six...

I mean, the comparison isn't actually that bad. Keenum, prior to 2018, was considered a highly-aggressive downfield passer who lacked size and arm strength. Accurate, with the ability to make lots of plays off-script. Both were also capable of extremely impressive statistical seasons in college. They can catch lightning in a bottle and do something amazing, and you can certainly do worse, but their ceiling isn't consistent, and their floor isn't the best.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I could be wrong on Minshew, but this is the rock I'll stand on with him. 

o7x1oEZ.gif

42 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

But BDN literally did lost snaps to Case Keenum... On the Rams.

"Literally did lost snaps"? 

Holy ****.

But anyway, yes, Jeff Fisher is a proven offensive guru, which is why he's still a highly paid coach in the league. 

8 hours ago, Kirill said:

Classic example of a guy who checked all the boxes but just didn't have the "it" factor.

I feel like there was a pretty big box that wasn't "ticked" on Trubisky as a prospect.  The lack of experience was pretty blatantly a serious risk factor.  Basically a one-year starter, with mediocre results and plenty of warts and questionmarks.  It was always a big swing on "projection"...extrapolated from basically one season of information and evaluation.  Which just isn't enough.

I wouldn't say it's really just an "it factor" he's missing that's really doomed him though.  Unless "it" is essentially, "quarterbacking ability".

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Holy ****.

But anyway, yes, Jeff Fisher is a proven offensive guru, which is why he's still a highly paid coach in the league. 

Thank you for catching some of the world's worst grammar. I'll fix it.

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Holy ****.

Also, for what it's worth, I believe that Minshew is better than Keenum, and I'd certainly rather have Minshew than Trubisky. I really like Minshew; there's plenty of proof that you can win with a Minshew-type QB in the NFL if you're willing to actually build around him. He can be an uncorked Alex Smith with a SLIGHTLY worse arm, really. Or a fun version of Andy Dalton. There is concern about the ceiling, but Smith and Dalton have both had MVP-caliber seasons. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Minshew hasn't shown much of a reason to NOT be given a shot. 

Trubisky has, though. Good call by the Bears. 

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Also, for what it's worth, I believe that Minshew is better than Keenum, and I'd certainly rather have Minshew than Trubisky. I really like Minshew; there's plenty of proof that you can win with a Minshew-type QB in the NFL if you're willing to actually build around him. He can be an uncorked Alex Smith with a SLIGHTLY worse arm, really. Or a fun version of Andy Dalton. 

I'd argue he COULD be a Tony Romo - the king of escaping and going off script. 

Right now, I see Keenum.

18 hours ago, Kirill said:

That trade makes it an all-time bad draft selection. They could have moved down a few spots and got Mahomes or Watson instead.

No doubt. And in 2000 we could’ve selected Tom brady in the first round instead of Urlacher. If only they had the power of hindsight 

19 hours ago, Kirill said:

When he came out and lots of draft guys posted their opinions on him, I saw more questions than answers, so I'm not sure anyone could have said he checked all the boxes.  He was a risky pick even then.