Bears not picking up fifth-year option on QB Mitch Trubisky

RaidersAreOne

there will be the "ok we get it, it was the wrong pick" comments

they will be ignored. it's the way things go. you eat your crow until the next historically awful blunder. jamarcus was the guy until trubisky became the guy

Edited by Turnobili

From a monetary standpoint alone it's the right decision.

They're essentially folding their hand on Trubisky, with the caveat that if somehow he happens to beat out Nick Foles and then perform at a high level, they'll re-sign him to a long term deal and/or Franchise tag him. 

Otherwise, they're free and clear in 2021 to start over with a newly drafted QB.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

From a monetary standpoint alone it's the right decision.

They're essentially folding their hand on Trubisky, with the caveat that if somehow he happens to beat out Nick Foles and then perform at a high level, they'll re-sign him to a long term deal and/or Franchise tag him. 

Otherwise, they're free and clear in 2021 to start over with a newly drafted QB.

oh, in a vacuum, its absolutely the right decision to decline his option. no doubt there.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:55 AM, Turnobili said:

there will be the "ok we get it, it was the wrong pick" comments

they will be ignored. it's the way things go. you eat your crow until the next historically awful blunder. jamarcus was the guy until trubisky became the guy

Trubisky is not remotely comparable to Russell. 

On 5/2/2020 at 4:07 PM, candyman93 said:

Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy will be fired after this season.

You don't know the Bears organization well enough to say this.

Should they both be fired?  You can definitely make reasonable cases for both, yes. However, what happens if say the Bears go 10-6, make the playoffs and win a game or two short of winning it all?  I don;t know how you can fire both guys or even one of them after a season like that.

Just hold your horses.  Whether Trubisky flops on 2020 or not may not even matter.  

6 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Trubisky is not remotely comparable to Russell. 

In a vacuum as players, no. In the context of selecting a bust over players who turned out to be HOF caliber alternatives? Obvious parallels.

Edited by Turnobili

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

However, what happens if say the Bears go 10-6, make the playoffs and win a game or two short of winning it all? 

How is that happening with the Packers and Vikings in your division? You also play the NFC South.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

How is that happening with the Packers and Vikings in your division? You also play the NFC South.

I am not saying how it happens I am saying what if it happens? 

Bears went 8-8 last season despite horrendous QB play and no TE's worth a damn. 

Now they added BD Nick Foles, Jimmy Graham, Cole Kmet, and Robert Quinn at OLB opposite Mack.  You can argue they got a lot better this off season.  Not sure you can say the same about Packers or Vikings, who lost some good key players.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I am not saying how it happens I am saying what if it happens? 

Then that’s fair I guess. It’s absolutely possible they go 10-6 or 15-1.

I knew chicago was going to stink last year and I don’t see any reason to not believe that this year.

• Like 1

Nagy is the 2nd worst coach in football currently, mainly because he so far has refused to play to his player and team strengths in favor of slapping his own nonsense upon the NFL. Put Mitch in a system where he is truly supported by a franchise, coach and play style that suits and then see what he can do. I'm not saying hes a champion but he could be a lot better than what we have seen thus far. To this point Nagy has killed the careers of Howard, Cohen, Monty and Mitch due to his play style. At the tail end of last season they seemed to change tact a little bit and ran the ball a bit more, Mitch looked much more capable during that short spell. If Mitch went to the Saints for example, instead of Winston, that would be interesting down the line imo.

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Then that’s fair I guess. It’s absolutely possible they go 10-6 or 15-1.

I knew chicago was going to stink last year and I don’t see any reason to not believe that this year.

Going .500 is stinking? Geez that's awfully high standards coming from a Browns fan.

I mean ya I get it you thought they would regress from their previous 12-4 season but you're acting as if they were one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Again... with just semi competent QB and TE play they could have easily been a playoff team last year. 

• Like 1

Mitch isn't that accurate but he's been dealt a crappy hand.

Allen Robinson one hit wonder, Taylor Gabriel meh, Anthony Miller meh, Adam Shaheen bust. His stats aren't terrible 

What other top 5 pick has gotten given up on after 3 years? Chicago is a poor franchise for QBs much like Cleveland