Bears not picking up fifth-year option on QB Mitch Trubisky

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He evaluates players and their play, formulates opinions and grades on them.  He scouts them. 

Cool, the little jerk from Baltimore watches some highlight reels and calls himself a scout.

Still just a TV talking head.

Just now, Elky said:

Cool, the little jerk from Baltimore watches some highlight reels and calls himself a scout.

Still just a TV talking head.

Yep, I'm sure that's all he has done or ever has done.

Sorry to hit a sore spot and rile you up. Didn't know that it was that personal of an issue for you. I'll let you cool down now and get over your anger. Have a good day. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Elky said:

Who said Trubisky was the best QB? People like Mel Kiper who never worked as a scout? Trubisky benefited from an overall weak class and other factors. Nothing about him screamed that he had more potential than Watson and Mahomes.

Damn near everyone with a voice worth listening too. And very likely some of the same people that you have at aleast at some point trusted their opinion on considering that this link was made to take about 300 different reputable sources/peoples opinions and draw an average consensus.  

As @Forge said (in other words), you don't have to like the Mel Kiper or any singular person used on the list but it doesn't take away from the fact their opinions have much more sway and value than the normal person does because they have doing it for so long. 

I don't care for Kiper's opinions either, but you can't knock the man's hustle and say he say that doesn't he know what he's talking about AT ALL. There's a reason he's been on sports TV talking about the draft for as long as I can remember. 

18 hours ago, Elky said:

Terrible pick that will lead to another house cleaning.

It was not a terrible pick. Bad choice in hindsight? Yes.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 1:31 PM, ForteOz said:

The team has explicitly stated there will be an open competition for starting QB. They will start out as 1A and 1B. Given that, the bolded statement is about as controversial as expecting rain somewhere in the US in the next two months.

sb9sEOB.png

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 2:56 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

Damn near everyone with a voice worth listening too. And very likely some of the same people that you have at aleast at some point trusted their opinion on considering that this link was made to take about 300 different reputable sources/peoples opinions and draw an average consensus.  

As @Forge said (in other words), you don't have to like the Mel Kiper or any singular person used on the list but it doesn't take away from the fact their opinions have much more sway and value than the normal person does because they have doing it for so long. 

I don't care for Kiper's opinions either, but you can't knock the man's hustle and say he say that doesn't he know what he's talking about AT ALL. There's a reason he's been on sports TV talking about the draft for as long as I can remember. 

It was not a terrible pick. Bad choice in hindsight? Yes.

Not accurate. Damn near everyone NEVER said he was the odds on talent at QB. There were PLENTY of scouts who had major reservations on that pick. Greg Cosell's scouting report was 100% spot on accurate for one. In fact, re-reading that report just now it's uncanny how Cosell actually nails it with Trubiskey. 

I believe it WAS a terrible pick. For a #2 overall you get proven goods, a pure win, blue chipper. Yes, some with no apparent flaws will flame out, but no need to take a guy 2 overall who had legitimate flaws/questions also while his contemporaries were going #10 and #12. Pace got schooled on that pick. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Not accurate. Damn near everyone NEVER said he was the odds on talent at QB.

LMAO. What?

There were PLENTY of scouts who had major reservations on that pick.

And yet there were more scouts who thought otherwise.

Greg Cosell's scouting report was 100% spot on accurate for one. 

I can cherry-pick one too. Todd Mcshay. So that means YOU ARE WRONG.

Now imagine if we had a data sheet that charted opinions from most of the reputable draft sources so that we could truly find out who most seem to believe was the better QB at the time of the draft?  Oh wait....

This one is an interesting read in part because it was written in May 2017, right after Trubisky was picked

Chris Smart at SmartFootball runs through some of the decision-making around picking QBs and spending a lot of draft capital on them

http://smartfootball.com/draft/thoughts-about-drafting-quarterbacks

"The biggest story from the 2017 NFL draft was the surprise move by the Chicago Bears to pay a hefty price to the San Francisco 49ers — the 3rd overall pick plus the 67th and 111th picks, plus a 2018 3rd round pick — in order to move up a single spot in the draft, where they selected North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. It was a stunning trade, in no small part because Chicago, having just spent significant money to acquire free agent QB Mike Glennon, was not an obvious candidate to draft a quarterback let alone pay a steep price to do so. "

On 5/3/2020 at 4:09 PM, MKnight82 said:

Bruce Allen traded a 2nd for the dinosaur body of Donovan McNabb, traded 3 firsts and a 2nd for RG3 and let Kirk Cousins walk for nothing and still didn’t get fired.

My favorite part of this story is the next part, when they essentially fired him from being GM by promoting him, hired an actually good GM, fired the actually good GM, hired Bruce Allen again and then ran Cousins out of town. 

On 5/20/2020 at 10:43 AM, Elky said:

He is a draft analyst; he never worked as a scout for a professional football team.

Aside from one being employed by an NFL franchise, what separates Mel Kiper from any GM?  I get that it's kinda low-hanging fruit to mock him, but he's been evaluating players for several decades.