Bears not picking up fifth-year option on QB Mitch Trubisky

RaidersAreOne

On 5/21/2020 at 1:56 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

It was not a terrible pick. Bad choice in hindsight? Yes.

I wouldn't say it was a good pick even at the time.  It was a pretty poor draft to be picking top 5.  Based off my board, I would have taken Marshon Lattimore, but I had Malik Hooker  and Jamal Adams rated at the top of that tier.  I don't recall the Bears' needs at the time, but any of those three would have been a much better choice.  I'm usually quite bullish on QBs, but I had a Day 2 grade on Trubisky.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't say it was a good pick even at the time.  It was a pretty poor draft to be picking top 5.  Based off my board, I would have taken Marshon Lattimore, but I had Malik Hooker  and Jamal Adams rated at the top of that tier.  I don't recall the Bears' needs at the time, but any of those three would have been a much better choice.  I'm usually quite bullish on QBs, but I had a Day 2 grade on Trubisky.

Fair enough and I respect that.

You didn't think too highly of him before the draft and for you to watch a team trade up and draft him with the 3rd overall pick probably blew your mind. And I also know that you are very active within the forum around draft time and share your opinions on certain players. So I can understand this type of criticism and I have no problem with it.

I only have an issue with those who had a high grade on him BEFORE the draft and then go back and criticize the pick after the fact and try to pretend like they knew all along or act like the Bears just traded up for a nobody QB ---A HIGH need at the time.

And mind you, this is coming from someone who did not think too highly of the QB draft class in the first place either. I thought Mahomes might have the best chance to work out between him, Mitch, and Watson. But even then, I didn't see Mahomes' ceiling being too high. My order was Mahomes , Mitch, Watson. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Other teams were trying to trade with San Fran to get Trubisky. Even if he does suck now, nothing would’ve stopped him from being the first QB taken. 

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Fair enough and I respect that.

You didn't think too highly of him before the draft and for you to watch a team trade up and draft him with the 3rd overall pick probably blew your mind. And I also know that you are very active within the forum around draft time and share your opinions on certain players. So I can understand this type of criticism and I have no problem with it.

I only have an issue with those who had a high grade on him BEFORE the draft and then go back and criticize the pick after the fact and try to pretend like they knew all along or act like the Bears just traded up for a nobody QB ---A HIGH need at the time.

And mind you, this is coming from someone who did not think too highly of the QB draft class in the first place either. I thought Mahomes might have the best chance to work out between him, Mitch, and Watson. But even then, I didn't see Mahomes' ceiling being too high. My order was Mahomes , Mitch, Watson. 

QBs usually go higher than where I feel comfortable drafting them.  That's just supply and demand for the most valuable position in all of professional sports.  I was probably a bit more lukewarm on Deshaun Watson then I should have been.  In fact, he was probably one that had me correct my evaluation process as I disliked players who regressed.  And I was concerned about his ability to limit turnovers.  Mahomes' talent was evident, but I thought he was a bigger project coming out then he was.  I do think he landed in nearly the perfect situation though.  I'm not sure he develops like he has anywhere else.

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

QBs usually go higher than where I feel comfortable drafting them.  That's just supply and demand for the most valuable position in all of professional sports.  I was probably a bit more lukewarm on Deshaun Watson then I should have been.  In fact, he was probably one that had me correct my evaluation process as I disliked players who regressed.  And I was concerned about his ability to limit turnovers.  Mahomes' talent was evident, but I thought he was a bigger project coming out then he was.  I do think he landed in nearly the perfect situation though.  I'm not sure he develops like he has anywhere else.

Same here man. See I'm pretty harsh on QB's in general in most drafts and so my personal rankings of each are usually alot lower than what I see and read about. Sometimes I read about how X QB is going to be the next best thing and I just shake my head. Hell, there have been times where I'll even say to my self, "well maybe you missed something that they saw" and I'll even reason with myself and go an watch and still not come away impressed. 

Evaluating players and how they're talent and skill sets are going to translate from the college level to the pros is such a hard thing to do. Especially with QB's. 

And I 100% agree with you on Mahomes. He landed in the perfect spot. Conversely, I think (or thought) that Mayfield could possibly work out but when he went to the Browns I was going "....damn, Mayfield's personality linked up with Todd Haley's "my way or the highway" approach is not good for him. 

The only bright side from this whole debacle, is I get to be that insufferable Bears fan "I told you so"ing people when I wanted Mahomes in that draft, even if it meant trading up.  Then again, Mahomes would have been so comically wasted in a John Fox, 1980s style offense.

Edited by Epyon

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

The only bright side from this whole debacle, is I get to be that insufferable Bears fan "I told you so"ing people when I wanted Mahomes in that draft, even if it meant trading up.  Then again, Mahomes would have been so comically wasted in a John Fox, 1980s style offense.

I still don't know why they didn't go that way. I know Mahomes was massively undermocked, but they would have studied the hell out of both prospects, and with Mahomes they would have seen a lightning bolt arm, making plays from nothing, mobility and throw on the run - all superior. 

Pace highlighted Trubisky’s accuracy, his ability to see and process the entire field, his knack for extending plays - again, you can argue Mahomes done all that to a superior level.

It is hindsight, but I'd argue it was noticeable even then to a lesser degree. KC certainly spotted it, jumping 17 spots.

26 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I feel like it would help Trubiskys confidence if he saw this thread cause people said 127 things about him. He would feel so accomplished 

Just don't tell him that that number is a third greater than his passer rating...