Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

They were never picking it up. It never made financial sense to risk it when the tag only costs you 5 million more if he plays well.

Still, the best thing for the Bears long term and for Ryan Pace professionally is for Mitch to win the job and play well.

• Like 2

Handing the jobs to Foles is stupid

1. We know what he is and the ceiling on him. He is a band aid.

2. Foles is an exceptional backup. It Mitch starts 3 games and isn't getting it done, Foles has no issue coming in and taking over.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

2. Foles is an exceptional backup. It Mitch starts 3 games and isn't getting it done, Foles has no issue coming in and taking over.

Foles is far and away the best FA QB the Bears have ever signed, and probably not just my lifetime. In fact I don't recall a single SBchamp ever playing QB for us !   except for mcMahon of course, who we drafted RD1 

Completely agree with you on why MT not picked up

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Foles is far and away the best FA QB the Bears have ever signed, and probably not just my lifetime. In fact I don't recall a single SBchamp ever playing QB for us !   except for mcMahon of course, who we drafted RD1 

Completely agree with you on why MT not picked up

And that's sad. He's a career sub-90 passer rating guy. He just doesn't move the needle, but if he's just okay and the D is closer to 2018 than 2019, they could win 10+ games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

And that's sad. He's a career sub-90 passer rating guy. He just doesn't move the needle, but if he's just okay and the D is closer to 2018 than 2019, they could win 10+ games

Or Mitch could be okay.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If Pace and Nagy go right to Foles and he sucks... can we please talk about firing people?

Absolutely, and if the offense flops badly enough that Chicago misses the postseason again it should be both Nagy and Pace being talked about replacing. 

I do not blame Tru at all.....this is all on Pace.....there was no reason to draft this guy ahead of Watson and Mahomes.....I dont think anyone saw Mahomes being the GOAT coming. But just from numbers on paper. Tru clearly wasnt in these guys league. If there was a QB named Malik Johnson who had the same college career as Tru, do you really think he would get drafted 2nd OVERALL??? I love the Bears but just such a dumb pick.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They aren't handing the job to Foles. I think this truly will be an open competition, with a "tie" going to Trubisky.

Kid likely will have 3-5 games to prove himself or he's a goner.

50 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I do not blame Tru at all.....this is all on Pace.....there was no reason to draft this guy ahead of Watson and Mahomes.....I dont think anyone saw Mahomes being the GOAT coming. But just from numbers on paper. Tru clearly wasnt in these guys league. If there was a QB named Malik Johnson who had the same college career as Tru, do you really think he would get drafted 2nd OVERALL??? I love the Bears but just such a dumb pick.

Ah I see..you had to go there?  Yes in hindsight it looks like a real dumb pick, but Trubs was ranked at the top of a lot of people's boards at QB when he declared.  We can't keep re-hashing this.  Not going to change a damn thing.

The only thing we can hope for is that these decisions (Foles trade + no option pick up) truly brings out the best in Mitch and if it doesn't then at least the organization tried to do everything in their power to make the guy succeed.  At least they are moving towards admitting their "mistake" if it turns out that he is not the future QB to lead this team.

• Like 3