Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

9 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

All excellent points, but I still think he's dumb.  I can't find it now, but in his "sit down with Gruden while Gruden grunts and names plays loudly" piece he came across as earnest, eager but also not terribly smart.  I really like Trubisky, but his grin and good body language won't change my impression of him as being kind of a dumbass.  Personable, genuine etc there are lots of positive things he models but not smart.

I have a past employee who worked for me a couple years while he was in college doing (literal) rocket science and he was way more likely to make mistakes, forget to finish things, get lost in a hallway (true, McCormick place is a maze though) than a dirtbag guy I hired from a hardware store. There are all kinds of different types of intelligence.  My son who's in kindergarten could divide and multiply huge numbers in his head before getting any actual teaching, can break down and rebuild complex electronics, but still doesn't notice that people aren't in the room when he starts a conversation. Lot's of ways to ride the rodeo. 

Yeah, I'm almost positive he has a difficult time processing things. There have been some rumors about it too. I don't doubt he knows what about photosynthesis and how to multiply, but that **** isn't the same as football.

@Heinz D. I don't blame Pace for this one. He's a great kid with a great work ethic, but at the pro level he's having a hard time with the smarts aspect of the game. It's pretty apparent.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think Mitch's struggles on the field have anything to do with intelligence but more so processing speed

Yeah I agree here. Not sure if I said it on this forum but I realized this dude was shell-shocked mentally when he ran an RPO and turned to the wrong ******* direction to make a throw. That's inexcusable and sounded alarms in my head. Kid needs to stop thinking and just react, but at the same time -- like anything in life -- that comes with experience.

14 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Here is the link to his interview with Gruden. Man Gruden is annoying. It also captures the hype there was around Trubisky. I know some people here were stumping Mahomes, but don't; forget that many (most?) of us, plus the majority of NFL media all had Trubisky as no 1. 

Watching this again and focusing on the football clips... my good lord have his lower body mechanics gone to **** since he became a Chicago Bear.

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

Watching this again and focusing on the football clips... my good lord have his lower body mechanics gone to **** since he became a Chicago Bear.

I think the panic and loss of mechanics when hurried are things he's done since college.

QBs need to have that internal clock that waits until the very last second to either protect the ball or throw it away. Watch Brady play from the pocket and pay attention to how long he'll hold the ball even with guys all around him. The great QBs can tune out the pressure happening around them and focus on their receivers.

59 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I think the panic and loss of mechanics when hurried are things he's done since college.

QBs need to have that internal clock that waits until the very last second to either protect the ball or throw it away. Watch Brady play from the pocket and pay attention to how long he'll hold the ball even with guys all around him. The great QBs can tune out the pressure happening around them and focus on their receivers.

Brady has had elite offensive lines from a protection standpoint, though.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Brady has had elite offensive lines from a protection standpoint, though.

That’s been the case in some years. I’d argue that Brady made a lot of average OL seem elite because of his pocket presence. QB footwork and movement are part of the protection scheme.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

That’s been the case in some years. I’d argue that Brady made a lot of average OL seem elite because of his pocket presence. QB footwork and movement are part of the protection scheme.

He's got great footwork and throwing mechanics, but I can't recall him having to run for his life like we have seen Cutler, Rodgers, Wilson have to do during their careers. He also isn't getting decked as his back foot hits on a three step drop like Trubisky has endured here.

I have seen the Giants hit him a few times in the Super Bowl and him throwing a hissy fit, though. God that was better than sex xD

Edited by G08

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I would also argue that.   Brady quick decisions and pocket presence and the Patriots O line coach have elevated play of a lot mediocre and even below average O lines over years.

A lot of protection is on a QB and I'm not talking about line calls or slides.  

One example is when you are riding your man to outside (maybe he made a hard outside rush) and presumably past a pocket QB and the QB suddenly breaks the pocket to your side.  Now QB just put your man in perfect position for an easy sack and you look bad.  But you were on track for a good block.  

Obviously QB can hold ball longer and make you look bad.  

Big one is like abstract said.  Just subtle movements within pocket to help your blockers is huge.  Brady was excellent at that.

I never knew that until I was drilling O lines on pass pro and I would put myself at QB.  We would play a game/drill (coaching tip: make drills into games and you get a lot better effort) where I set a number and if D line touched me in whatever time - 3.5 secs say, whatever you set it at - they win.  If O line holds for the time they win.  You make time real short when O line is starting because D is way ahead.  As they get better you increase the time.  

Well sometimes I use a dummy or a garbage can (mainly because your feet get stepped on a lot in this drill and I wear sandals a lot and sometimes you get hit on accident).  Sometimes it is me as QB.  

When I did it I quickly found that if I made small movements in pocket I could really extend that time to favor O line if I wanted too.  DL would cry it wasn't fair when I did that.  With reps it becomes kind of natural real quick.  You see someone in your peripheral and you just step opposite and they often fly right by.   I think a lot of QBs get in habit of breaking pocket too soon because they start out as running QBs.  

It is a good drill for QBs too.  Though it is really hard to play pocket football at youth level so that may be time wasted.   High School could use it though. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Deshaun Watson just confirmed on twitter that the Bears NEVER talked to him in 2017. How the hell do you not talk to one of the top prospects of a draft? That's fireable to me.

I was just going to post this 

I knew it happened, but it just hurts to see him say it.  I just don’t get it.

9 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I was just going to post this 

I knew it happened, but it just hurts to see him say it.  I just don’t get it.

Again I guess I can deal with the fact that they took the wrong guy. It'll hurt forever but no one can change it.

But if they knew going in they wanted a QB, how do you not speak to one of the consensus top 3 QB's? That's so far beyond idiotic it doesn't register.

Like I get it if you miss on draft picks because they just can't translate to the NFL, I get it if you do all of your due diligence and end up drafting a different player because he just fits what you're looking for better...but, to not even interview him?  They had the third overall pick at the time and a HUGE need for a QB.  It's just mystifying.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Like I get it if you miss on draft picks because they just can't translate to the NFL, I get it if you do all of your due diligence and end up drafting a different player because he just fits what you're looking for better...but, to not even interview him?  They had the third overall pick at the time and a HUGE need for a QB.  It's just mystifying.

Not every prospect can drive a Corolla and make a dinner reservation under Jim McMahon I guess