Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

As for why Watson would lie - who knows?  Maybe he's bitter?  He was the reigning national champion QB and ended up going third (for QBs) behind a one-year starter from North Carolina and a "system" QB from Texas Tech who at one point was talked about as a third round pick.  He can't rub anything in the KC's face because, well...Mahomes.  Bears become an easy target.  

This certainly wouldn't be the first time an athlete has forgotten that something was said or posted online only for it to come back an leave egg on their face.

49 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Not necessarily. Pace may never need Trubisky to get good in order to save his job and achieve success by bringing a SB championship to Chicago. 

I know you don't have much faith in Foles saving the day but we cannot pretend to act as if we know how Pace's future here will be determined.

Though I will say the media is certainly doing it's best to try and get him fired by bringing up the race argument and trying to embarrass to the Bears franchise.

Do you have faith Foles will save the day?

I'm not going to pretend like I know how they'll decide Pace's future, but it SHOULD be determined in the next year or two if they fail to win at least the conference.

48 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

If they actually did talk to him and send all their execs to his workouts then that makes me feel a lot better.  It's still mind boggling why they would "wine and dine" Trubisky and Mahomes, but not Watson.  Did he have a really bad pro day or something?

They did talk to Watson.  They simply liked Trubisky better.  So did a lot of people. They were wrong.   It happens.  

History is trying to be rewritten because some people want to accuse Pace of racism for their own internal reasons.

11 hours ago, G08 said:

Where does "talking to prospect" rank on the totem pole of evaluations? To me, I'd rather hear what his coaches, teachers, trainers etc have to say about someone than talk to them.

Not saying it isn't important to get a feel for the human being, but when it comes to evaluating football players? Meh.

I'd say it's pretty important when evaluating for a job that requires intelligence, communication, and leadership.

7 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I'd say it's pretty important when evaluating for a job that requires intelligence, communication, and leadership.

Here's a fun fact, the Broncos NEVER spoke to Jay Cutler.  It was actually planned that way.  Did not attend his proday, no combine visit, no bringing him in.  Not even secretly.  Mike Shanahan had made his mind up very early in the process he wanted Cutler and didnt want anybody getting wind of it.  So he intentionally ignored Cutler and was able to draft him right where he wanted to.  GMs and FOs can be weird sometimes.  All that said, Watson has proven to be lying so its moot.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Here's a fun fact, the Broncos NEVER spoke to Jay Cutler.  It was actually planned that way.  Did not attend his proday, no combine visit, no bringing him in.  Not even secretly.  Mike Shanahan had made his mind up very early in the process he wanted Cutler and didnt want anybody getting wind of it.  So he intentionally ignored Cutler and was able to draft him right where he wanted to.  GMs and FOs can be weird sometimes.  All that said, Watson has proven to be lying so its moot.

I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement for this approach. Cutler never lived up to expectations largely because of his personality, something that would have been more obvious if the Broncos had interviewed him.

It's funny that people will use hindsight to criticize Pace for taking Micth instead of Watson or Mahomes but in the same breath they will quote and give credence to their favorite draft gurus all year long when most of them ALSO graded Mitch a better QB prospect or equal. The majority ranked Mitch and Watson literally 1a 1b--it was that close--with Mahomes as the clear 3rd best QB behind them. And the majority, predicted Mitch would be the first QB to be drafted.

I mean, damn people. At least be consistent with your BS.

If you guys are going to use hindsight to criticize Pace (I hate when fans do this) then you should also do the same for those draft gurus too and you should have stopped listening to them as well. But I bet you haven't, have you?

Just to name a few.......

--Todd Mcshay graded Mitch as the 27th best player in the draft (#1 QB), Watson 28th (#2), Mahomes 44th (#3). 

--Mike Mayock graded Mitch as the 30th best player in the draft (#2 QB), Watson 20th (#1), Mahomes 32nd (#3). He also had Mitch going 5th overall, Watson 25th and Mahomes not being drafted at all in the 1st round.

--Mel Kiper graded Mitch as the 19th best player in the draft (#1 QB), Mahomes 26th (#2), Watson 34th (#3)

--Gil Brandt graded Mitch as the 8th best player in the draft (#1 QB), Watson 9th(#2), Mahomes 18th (3rd)

--Ben Allbright doesn't usually do draft boards but instead ranks each QB by grade. He graded Mitch the best QB in the draft with a grade of 82 and Mahomes, Watson, and Kizer all graded 79.

--Daniel Jeremiah graded Mitch the 32nd best QB in the draft (#2 QB), Watson 28th (#1), Kizer 33rd (3rd), and Mahomes wasn't even ranked in his top-50--FYI, the 50th player on his list was Adam Shaheen.

I freaking hate you type of fans that praise a player before the draft and right after but when they don't workout you pull the hindsight card and criticize the FO for it. Learn to keep the same energy people. I rememeber before the 2018 season began I was very critical of Mitch and half of you MFers jump all over me for it and now some of those same people have a done a complete 180 and act like you knew it all along and Pace is an idiot for it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

It's funny that people will use hindsight to criticize Pace for taking Micth instead of Watson or Mahomes but in the same breath they will quote and give credence to their favorite draft gurus all year long when most of them ALSO graded Mitch a better QB prospect or equal. The majority ranked Mitch and Watson literally 1a 1b--it was that close--with Mahomes as the clear 3rd best QB behind them. And the majority, predicted Mitch would be the first QB to be drafted.

I mean, damn people. At least be consistent with your BS.

If you guys are going to use hindsight to criticize Pace (I hate when fans do this) then you should also do the same for those draft gurus too and you should have stopped listening to them as well. But I bet you haven't, have you?

Just to name a few.......

--Todd Mcshay graded Mitch as the 27th best player in the draft (#1 QB), Watson 28th (#2), Mahomes 44th (#3). 

--Mike Mayock graded Mitch as the 30th best player in the draft (#2 QB), Watson 20th (#1), Mahomes 32nd (#3). He also had Mitch going 5th overall, Watson 25th and Mahomes not being drafted at all in the 1st round.

--Mel Kiper graded Mitch as the 19th best player in the draft (#1 QB), Mahomes 26th (#2), Watson 34th (#3)

--Gil Brandt graded Mitch as the 8th best player in the draft (#1 QB), Watson 9th(#2), Mahomes 18th (3rd)

--Ben Allbright doesn't usually do draft boards but instead ranks each QB by grade. He graded Mitch the best QB in the draft with a grade of 82 and Mahomes, Watson, and Kizer all graded 79.

--Daniel Jeremiah graded Mitch the 32nd best QB in the draft (#2 QB), Watson 28th (#1), Kizer 33rd (3rd), and Mahomes wasn't even ranked in his top-50--FYI, the 50th player on his list was Adam Shaheen.

I freaking hate you type of fans that praise a player before the draft and right after but when they don't workout you pull the hindsight card and criticize the FO for it. Learn to keep the same energy people. I rememeber before the 2018 season began I was very critical of Mitch and half of you MFers jump all over me for it and now some of those same people have a done a complete 180 and act like you knew it all along and Pace is an idiot for it. 

• Like 3

Can’t tell you how many talking heads said Leech system QBs always fail in NFL in regards to Mahomes. 

I never watched Mahomes in college, largely because I thought Bears weren't taking a QB,  but they had me buying into it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Here is a spreadsheet of a consensus big board for the 2017 draft which takes over 300 different reputable sources and compile them all into an average with a variance rank shown (the higher the number, the higher number of people who disagree on a player's rank)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EKkKqW_dmjBiNlBWzZunXaXVE_0H-PuOYt7mZorx0q8/edit#gid=1937259620

If you look at the consensus tab, it shows Watson and Mitch ranked the same.

If you look at the forecast tab (who most thought would be drafted first) Mitch was 17th (pos rank #1), Watson was 22nd (pos rank #2), and Mahomes 37th (pos rank #3). 

• Like 1

This is all an example of over analysis

Im just sitting here chilling, thinking about how Pace watched Watsons college career, then watched Mitchs career.....and bet like millions of dollars of someone elses money, that Mitch would be better than Watson haha.......like.....Pace is a wild man.....hilarious......this topic almost makes me think sports really are stupid and I should listen to my girlfriend.

Like legit, are we all stupid??  Hahaha.....Our GM and all these weirdos you all just named off, literally watched those college games and thought Mitch would be better?? I kind of think I hate sports now.

About to get real into Vanderpump Rules

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

This is all an example of over analysis

Im just sitting here chilling, thinking about how Pace watched Watsons college career, then watched Mitchs career.....and bet like millions of dollars of someone elses money, that Mitch would be better than Watson haha.......like.....Pace is a wild man.....hilarious......this topic almost makes me think sports really are stupid and I should listen to my girlfriend.

Like legit, are we all stupid??  Hahaha.....Our GM and all these weirdos you all just named off, literally watched those college games and thought Mitch would be better?? I kind of think I hate sports now.

About to get real into Vanderpump Rules

That's what I'm saying. Watson was an absolute killer at Clemson. The hell did I miss watching him that the experts hated? He had some knee issues and those already popped up in the NFL once, but he's going to be a top 10 QB for years. He had the highest floor of any QB in that draft, imo. 

• Like 1