Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

21 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I have always hated this tactic, if you take away anybody's best moments you get a completely different result.  The only way to be fair in doing this is to take away the worst as well.  You eliminate the statistical anomalies.  If you do this you end up with Tru throwing 17 tds and 8 Ints in 12 games, which if you then prorate that to 16 games you get 24 and 12.  Exactly the same.  As Parcells always said you are what you're record says you are.  And to say hes never been ok is just so blatantly false.  Has there EVER been a game where you can say that Tru was the reason the team lost?  Theres been games hes been the reason the team won, theres been games that the team won in spite of him, and there have been games where the team lost in spite of him.  I cant think of a single game where you can point to and say Tru cost the team that game.  That is the definition of ok.  That is a game manager.  What he hasnt been is GREAT for an extended period of time.  We didn't draft him to be a game manager, we drafted him to be GREAT.  Ok isnt good enough, not for this staff, not for the draft position, and not for the money he will be looking for on a 2nd contract.  He has to be GREAT this year.  And if he is, it's a win for everybody, if hes not then he will be elsewhere and the Bears will be back in the QB market.

That's the issue. He's had 1 really good game, a few good games and the rest he's been average or worse, so no I don't think taking away a player's best games is fair. That's like taking away a lot of games for Brady, Brees, Wilson, etc. The thing is, it's not like he's stringing together a lot of good games, so taking away 1 giant outlier is fair for him.

I'm sure you'll fight me on this and blame a random incident, but yeah I can think of a few games where he was below average to pathetic and they lost- Eagles playoffs, 2019 Green Bay (home and away), 2019 Chargers, 2019 Rams, 2019 Chiefs, 2019 Eagles, 2019 Saints (stats will show he was okay but we all know he was bad for the first 3.5 quarters). If it wasn't for the defense they probably lose the 2018 games vs the Vikings (home), Rams, Cardinals and the 2019 game vs Denver.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

In the sequel to Dante's Inferno he adds on several circles of hell, and 11 is the Trubisky debate in which we argue in which ways and to what degree he is bad

Bad is very inaccurate, we are talking about a QB who is a CAREER 63.4% comp thrower, with 48 TDs to 29 INTs and won more games than lost.  

Do I think he can be great?  Yeah, do I think it's likely, ehhh idk?  I'd put it at 50/50 at this point.  It's hard to see where he is really at last year bc the OL was straight trash.  But the tools are there and the attitude is there.  It's his last chance with the Bears to show that he can be great.  

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I watched every game last season, point to a game and shown me where Tru was THE reason they lost.

@abstract_thought I'm trying to think through this as well... I don't recall any 4 INT clunkers like we got from Cutler here and there...

One could argue the fumble and INT against the Chargers last season, but then again the kid drove us down the field and had a huge scramble at the end of the game to put us well within FG range to win the game. Our kicker **** the bed.

Sidenote: of our 7 losses with Trubisky at QB, 4 of them were a one possession game.

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

That's the issue. He's had 1 really good game, a few good games and the rest he's been average or worse, so no I don't think taking away a player's best games is fair. That's like taking away a lot of games for Brady, Brees, Wilson, etc. The thing is, it's not like he's stringing together a lot of good games, so taking 1 giant outlier is fair for him.

I'm sure you'll fight me on this and blame a random incident, but yeah I can think of a few games where he was below average to pathetic and they lost- Eagles playoffs, 2019 Green Bay (home and away), 2019 Chargers, 2019 Rams, 2019 Chiefs, 2019 Eagles, 2019 Saints (stats will show he was okay but we all know he was bad for the first 3.5 quarters). If it wasn't for the defense they probably lose the 2018 games vs the Vikings (home), Rams, Cardinals and the 2019 game vs Denver.

Eagles playoffs where he put the team in position to win if not for the double doink?  2019 GB where he was playing from behind after a LONG TD given up by the D and yes, he threw  the INT that ended the game, but you are going to look menial the eye and say he was the reason the Bears lost, when they refused to run the ball against dime the entire game.  2019 chargers with the missed FG that would have won.  2019 chiefs and saints where they were obliterated on both sides of the ball.  I didn't say games he played bad in, I said games where he was THE reason they lost.  There arent any.

6 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Bad is very inaccurate, we are talking about a QB who is a CAREER 63.4% comp thrower, with 48 TDs to 29 INTs and won more games than lost.  

Do I think he can be great?  Yeah, do I think it's likely, ehhh idk?  I'd put it at 50/50 at this point.  It's hard to see where he is really at last year bc the OL was straight trash.  But the tools are there and the attitude is there.  It's his last chance with the Bears to show that he can be great.  

I agree with the bold part for sure, and for all our sake's I hope you're right. Personally I feel the Bears won't have a great QB until they're made irrelevant by genetically enhanced kickers who just boom the ball through the uprights from the 20 in a hellish future football world where special teams is all that matters and we have to watch the games virtually by way of our Amazon implants and all the beer is fancy IPA and meat is unobtainable except for turkey bratwurst. 

11 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Eagles playoffs where he put the team in position to win if not for the double doink?  2019 GB where he was playing from behind after a LONG TD given up by the D and yes, he threw  the INT that ended the game, but you are going to look menial the eye and say he was the reason the Bears lost, when they refused to run the ball against dime the entire game.  2019 chargers with the missed FG that would have won.  2019 chiefs and saints where they were obliterated on both sides of the ball.  I didn't say games he played bad in, I said games where he was THE reason they lost.  There arent any.

Yes, the double doink game. They scored 15 points. They had to keep kicking FG's because he couldn't put the ball in the endzone. The last drive was great, but scoring 15 points isn't good enough.

Chargers- they ran the ball really well and he stunk. 2 pathetic late turnovers and missed at least 1 TD throw to Gabriel. They scored 16 points. Had a golden opportunity early in the game inside the 5 on a Fuller INT and didn't score

Philly- that was a hair pulling performance

Rams- they scored 7 points & he got pulled. Bad

Saints- they had all of their points going into the middle of the 4th because of a 1st quarter ST TD. I don't care how bad the D was. You won't win any games scoring 7 points in 3.5 quarters with no thanks to the O

Chiefs- they scored 3 points. You won't win games doing that

Green Bay x2- they scored 16 points in 2 games. Again who cares how often they ran the ball? They ran it great vs LAC and he still sucked. The guy was brutal twice. His confidence was shot after week 1 because of his performance

Edited by beardown3231

4 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I agree with the bold part for sure, and for all our sake's I hope you're right. Personally I feel the Bears won't have a great QB until they're made irrelevant by genetically enhanced kickers who just boom the ball through the uprights from the 20 in a hellish future football world where special teams is all that matters and we have to watch the games virtually by way of our Amazon implants and all the beer is fancy IPA and meat is unobtainable except for turkey bratwurst. 

Absolutely. I want to be so wrong

8 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Congratulations!  The first bit is rough, and there's lots of ups and downs but it is a really special experience, especially when they shut the **** up for a while and sleep through the night. Hang in there it does get easier!

For now she's been great. Not a ton of crying. She sleeps pretty well through the night

*knock on wood*

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

@abstract_thought I'm trying to think through this as well... I don't recall any 4 INT clunkers like we got from Cutler here and there...

One could argue the fumble and INT against the Chargers last season, but then again the kid drove us down the field and had a huge scramble at the end of the game to put us well within FG range to win the game. Our kicker **** the bed.

Sidenote: of our 7 losses with Trubisky at QB, 4 of them were a one possession game.

If completing 10 passes for 125 yards and leading an offense to 14 points isn't a way to lose a game, I don't know what qualifies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

If completing 10 passes for 125 yards and leading an offense to 14 points isn't a way to lose a game, I don't know what qualifies.

It's funny because the argument for him is typically "if Nagy just ran the ball more!" and despite that arguably being their best running performance in Nagy's tenure, he was still bad.

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

The Eagles game? We had a chance to stop them on 3rd and long at the end of the game and **** the bed on a TE screen. Who knows what would have happened if we got the ball back, for one. Second, we ran the ball at a whopping 3.4 yards per carry, etc.

He didn't play well, but I thought you asked for him being the reason we lost.