Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

3 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Kinda far from the truth but not too far. I thought he would bust because he seemed like another Texas Tech system qb lol

You weren't alone there.   I must have heard every Leech tree QB fails in NFL from 2 dozen media people/analysts.

Just now, dll2000 said:

You weren't alone there.   I must have heard every Leech tree QB fails in NFL from 2 dozen media people/analysts.

Also another big stat was virtually no 1 year college starting QB makes it in NFL in regards to MT.

The Mahomes pick was kinda funky too because KC was a SB ready team with a good QB.   Better than 2019 Packers were IMO.  So the Mahomes pick was kind of a head scratcher.

It was like why not go for win now?

This was a no-brainer. I remember during the draft one reporter brought up something about how Mitch could get the 5th year option and I literally laughed at him to myself because there was no way in hell that was going to happen. The new CBA deal guaranteed this. 

With the new CBA, it would have cost nearly the same amount of money to place a non-exclusive franchise tag on Mitch as it would have been to take on his 5th year option and nobody in their right mind is going to franchise tag a player like Mitch.

The new CBA raised the cost of the 5th year option to stop teams from exploiting it but kept the franchise tag price the same. So this meant that picking up Mitch's 5th year option would have cost 25.8M next year and placing a franchise tag on him would have cost 26.8M. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

For now she's been great. Not a ton of crying. She sleeps pretty well through the night

*knock on wood*

If she's already a good sleeper, you've most likely got it made. My first slept well (and still does, lol), my second had a lot of issues with it. Tons of nights with the two of us in a rocking chair, struggling.

Either way, congrats dude! That's crazy cool news!!! :)

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 12:28 AM, Sugashane said:

Only a few of us really were big on Mahomes since most thought he was a system QB who beat up on bad defenses,  Watson had turnover issues with elite talent around him, etc. Trubisky had solid production and had few bad habits it seemed. Each QB had a different warts and pros to consider.

I can see the argument being made for and against each prospect. 

Absolutely. I personally did not like Mitch, Watson, or Mahomes. The ONLY one I thought that might be okay (but not as good as he has been) was Mahomes. Unpopular opinion, I'm still not completely sold on Watson either. The same way I felt about the 2018 draft. Mayfield was the only one that I thought that MIGHT turn into something. The rest...meh.

It's been a long time since I was really sold on any QB, to be honest. I'm just not easily impressed by QB's in general until I see something that really sticks out. Goff was the last one I was sold on and that's because I have been watching him since his high-school days and I saw the progression. Before him though.....I can't really remember off the top unless we go back to early-mid nineties. 

I loved Watson, thought Mahomes would bust where he was picked (although I liked what he did in college a lot), but would have a Gardner Minshew type "career" if picked later. Didn't know much about Mitch. Wasn't happy they traded up for a one year starter, but figured they had to beat someone out to get their guy. The more I saw, I liked, especially his mobility, but it was obvious he needed mechanical work and time.

I am hoping Flip can get him to work on his feet. Whenever you watch him, he's got happy feet and not in the good, Peyton Manning way. He's constantly looking to roll out and scramble, where Peyton was manipulating the pocket. Same with Brees. Don't roll out, push back up there and set your feet. Hated that about Jay, but like Mitch, his play caller doesn't help them at all.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Absolutely. I personally did not like Mitch, Watson, or Mahomes. The ONLY one I thought that might be okay (but not as good as he has been) was Mahomes. Unpopular opinion, I'm still not completely sold on Watson either. The same way I felt about the 2018 draft. Mayfield was the only one that I thought that MIGHT turn into something. The rest...meh.

It's been a long time since I was really sold on any QB, to be honest. I'm just not easily impressed by QB's in general until I see something that really sticks out. Goff was the last one I was sold on and that's because I have been watching him since his high-school days and I saw the progression. Before him though.....I can't really remember off the top unless we go back to early-mid nineties. 

What were your thoughts on Luck?

Just now, beardown3231 said:

What were your thoughts on Luck?

Vastly overrated, which wasn't necessarily his fault tho....that was the media's fault who practically enshrined him into the HOF before taking a snap. 

Luck was the Reggie Bush of QB's. A player who did well but never lived up to the (impossible) amount of hype. 

And truth be told, while he played, he was still overrated. Put him in another division and he doesn't look as good as he did.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Vastly overrated, which wasn't necessarily his fault tho....that was the media's fault who practically enshrined him into the HOF before taking a snap. 

Luck was the Reggie Bush of QB's. A player who did well but never lived up to the (impossible) amount of hype. 

And truth be told, while he played, he was still overrated. Put him in another division and he doesn't look as good as he did.

He got no help from his oline and I don't remember them ever having a run game while he was there besides the last year or two

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

He got no help from his oline and I don't remember them ever having a run game while he was there besides the last year or two

I don't remember what their run game was and who they had and I'm too lazy to look it up right now but I don't think it was THAT bad IIRC (edit: I could be wrong).

Besides, that doesn't take away from teh fact that he was being made out to be "the new face of the NFL" all because of his raw stats and because "he was a "winner" (the Tebow treatment). When the truth was, those numbers were LARGELY based on a very weak division considering he didn't play have as good outside of this division for the first 4-6 years or so. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

Just now, Heinz D. said:

What I wanna know is--are the Bears going to pick up a young guy at QB? I mean, ANY young guy? With the expanded roster and all, it's pretty moronic for them NOT to do that at this point...right? 

I was thinking of the same thing Heinz when I thought about what the projected roster would look like.

Of course, Mitch and Foles are #1 and 2 but neither of them have gone a full season without being injured either. And look at what happened last year(? or '18) with Mitch and Daniel when Daniel left the game with an injury and was luckily able to come back into the game and play the next one, IIRC.

I think this begs the question....how much do they believe in Bray? Are they willing to bring in a PS player to compete with him? It's tough to tell.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What I wanna know is--are the Bears going to pick up a young guy at QB? I mean, ANY young guy? With the expanded roster and all, it's pretty moronic for them NOT to do that at this point...right? 

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I was thinking of the same thing Heinz when I thought about what the projected roster would look like.

Of course, Mitch and Foles are #1 and 2 but neither of them have gone a full season without being injured either. And look at what happened last year(? or '18) with Mitch and Daniel when Daniel left the game with an injury and was luckily able to come back into the game and play the next one, IIRC.

I think this begs the question....how much do they believe in Bray? Are they willing to bring in a PS player to compete with him? It's tough to tell.

I thought they'd sign Cooper Rush for the hell of it, but he went to the Giants