Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

I really wanted them to bring in SOMEONE to try at QB, but there really aren't any good fits, and do you really want a heavily revamped O coaching staff to be spending time teaching someone who has a snowball's chance of playing instead of a) bringing your FA signing likely QB up to speed with the system nuances, or b) taking a try at salvaging your athletic but mentally shot investement? 

21 hours ago, ForteOz said:

If they had their best and final in on Bridgewater and he passed for what he considered a better situation (for him), then so be it. A lot unconfirmed with that story, so who knows.

Calling Winston a bum is a stretch. An argument could be made that he's been better than Trub every year MT has been in the league. FO had him higher ranked on per play efficiency even last year which was Winton's worst, and somewhat of an outlier for him. FO is not the final say in things, but I find them useful to confirm the eyeball test, or gut feeling, on a player I haven't watched all that closely.

Cam has been on a downward trajectory since his MVP season, no doubt. What we would be hoping for with him is that a new environment, time off to heal, and new reason to be motivated would bring out the best version of him (which has been better than any of the people discussed here).

And that is the theme with all of these guys, Foles included. We are betting that bringing them in and coaching them up will bring out the best version of them, because they have all shown us the good and the bad.

As for the bolded, you'll have to do that for me and let me know. Is the difference that we had to trade for a guy who did not have a choice about coming here, because we appear to be an unattractive location for FA QB's?

If so, then fair enough.

While Winston may have been arguably better than Mitch according to metrics he's still not a viable #1 option IMO so I think it would be a complete waste to bring him in here hoping that he would suddenly turn things around in his career.  He struggled to find interest on the open market this offseason and had to settle for a backup role in NO behind Brees and Hill while set to earn a measly $1.1M in 2020.  That tells a lot of how other NFL teams view him.

As for Foles, he was the guy that made the most sense to bring in at QB aside from Dalton.  First off he's worked with all of the offensive coaches before such as Nagy, Lazor, Flip and Castillo. Considering the times we are in right now with this COVID crap this is HUGE because off season reps will be at a premium this off season, and having a guy who knows the coaching staff well and the type of offense they are trying to run here gives him a clear leg up on other guys they could have brought in at QB to push Mitch for the #1 role.

That brings me to my next point.  While Foles is a solid QB, he's never been good enough to be the unquestioned franchise type of QB, and I think the Bears are still holding out hope that Mitch will turn on the light this year and be the QB they envisioned he would be when they drafted him.  Don't be mistaken, it will be a legit competition between he and Foles.

Like I said before guys like Teddy and Cam wanted to come in to be the #1 QB without question, and that's not how it should work because they simply aren't that good at this point in their careers to deserve that unquestioned right.  Plus like I said before Cam's attitude stinks and he is not a good fit for the Chicago Bears.

49 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Foles sets the floor. He sets a higher floor than 2019 Mitch.

If Mitch can improve then he will likely surpass the floor that Foles sets. If he cannot the Bears guarantee themselves at least competent play.

That's the brilliance in the move. At the absolute worst, we have a Super Bowl MVP with experience in this offense ready to take over for the next 3 years. At the very best? We have a Super Bowl MVP under contract for roughly $8M/season for the next three years. Not to mention, Foles can opt out of his deal at any time with no repercussions.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

While Winston may have been arguably better than Mitch according to metrics he's still not a viable #1 option IMO so I think it would be a complete waste to bring him in here hoping that he would suddenly turn things around in his career.  He struggled to find interest on the open market this offseason and had to settle for a backup role in NO behind Brees and Hill while set to earn a measly $1.1M in 2020.  That tells a lot of how other NFL teams view him.

As for Foles, he was the guy that made the most sense to bring in at QB aside from Dalton.  First off he's worked with all of the offensive coaches before such as Nagy, Lazor, Flip and Castillo. Considering the times we are in right now with this COVID crap this is HUGE because off season reps will be at a premium this off season, and having a guy who knows the coaching staff well and the type of offense they are trying to run here gives him a clear leg up on other guys they could have brought in at QB to push Mitch for the #1 role.

That brings me to my next point.  While Foles is a solid QB, he's never been good enough to be the unquestioned franchise type of QB, and I think the Bears are still holding out hope that Mitch will turn on the light this year and be the QB they envisioned he would be when they drafted him.  Don't be mistaken, it will be a legit competition between he and Foles.

Like I said before guys like Teddy and Cam wanted to come in to be the #1 QB without question, and that's not how it should work because they simply aren't that good at this point in their careers to deserve that unquestioned right.  Plus like I said before Cam's attitude stinks and he is not a good fit for the Chicago Bears.

That's all fair.

The only point I will reiterate is that 2019 was an outlier for Winston. It was unusually bad, and may have been more a result of a bad fit schematically than it finally falling apart for him as a player. I'm willing to bet he ends up starting again and returns to a range of play somewhere between passable and above average.

When the books are closed on him and Trubisky, I think Winston will have had the better career.

16 minutes ago, ForteOz said:

That's all fair.

The only point I will reiterate is that 2019 was an outlier for Winston. It was unusually bad, and may have been more a result of a bad fit schematically than it finally falling apart for him as a player. I'm willing to bet he ends up starting again and returns to a range of play somewhere between passable and above average.

When the books are closed on him and Trubisky, I think Winston will have had the better career.

That's not saying much because Trubisky has had a very pedestrian 3 years in the NFL so far.  Winston has had 5 years now to show us something.  What we can come away with is that he is a very inconsistent and turnover prone QB.  Hard to change bad habits.

The idiotic Pro Bowl thing is where people lose me and really the entire anti Mitch movement loses the leaning anti Mitch people.

The OL was bad last season. That is a real thing.

Nagy was a mess as a play caller. That is a real thing.