Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

57 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

He's probably just bitter that his idiot HC/GM traded away his best offensive weapon and one of the top WRs in the game for peanuts.

Other than that I don't get why he'd be bitter. Not like he won't get paid big on his next contraxt to make up for being drafted 10 slots after where he could been taken in Mitch's spot.

Other than going to KC it probably played out best for Watson by going where he did.

Between the way he was acting around draft time that year in interviews and how he has acted since then ---including publicly claiming the Bears never talked to him-- makes me believe that he's just still sour that people wasn't throwing him on a pedestal at the time of the draft and that he didn't go #1 and he overvalued himself and he didn't like it. Which comes off as childish to me.  

Around draft time he was ALWAYS talking about how he was better than what people were saying and that he was going to prove them wrong and all that. And then for him to even comment about this sounds like sour grapes to me. 

I don't know if he lied or didn't but considering his past antics I wouldn't put it past him to lie about it just to try and make the Bears look bad because they didn't pick him first. 

17 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Between the way he was acting around draft time that year in interviews and how he has acted since then ---including publicly claiming the Bears never talked to him-- makes me believe that he's just still sour that people wasn't throwing him on a pedestal at the time of the draft and that he didn't go #1 and he overvalued himself and he didn't like it. Which comes off as childish to me.  

Around draft time he was ALWAYS talking about how he was better than what people were saying and that he was going to prove them wrong and all that. And then for him to even comment about this sounds like sour grapes to me. 

I don't know if he lied or didn't but considering his past antics I wouldn't put it past him to lie about it just to try and make the Bears look bad because they didn't pick him first. 

I think for some athletes it’s just a status thing, and being snubbed by teams on draft day really sticks with them throughout their careers.  They can win more than anyone else, they can make more money than anyone else, they can be considered the greatest ever to play the game, etc.  But they can NEVER change their draft position no matter how their career turns out.

43 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I think for some athletes it’s just a status thing, and being snubbed by teams on draft day really sticks with them throughout their careers.  They can win more than anyone else, they can make more money than anyone else, they can be considered the greatest ever to play the game, etc.  But they can NEVER change their draft position no matter how their career turns out.

Yeah and I believe that too. He valued himself higher than most other did. 

I also think he is bitter because of the money involved as well.

Mitch was drafted as the 3rd overall pick and got nearly twice as much as he did as the 12th overall---that's just how rookie contracts work. So if he felt like he was the best QB in the draft and should have got paid more based on the draft pool and ofcourse he is going to feel type of way about seeing Mitch get picked in the top-3. And it would make sense that he is trying to lie about the Bears to make them look bad. 

But again, this all seems childish to me because he's going to make more money than Mitch anyways and so why come out and say something publicly about something that has nothing to do with your situation other than him getting caught in his feelings?

It makes no sense to me.  

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yeah and I believe that too. He valued himself higher than most other did. 

I also think he is bitter because of the money involved as well.

Mitch was drafted as the 3rd overall pick and got nearly twice as much as he did as the 12th overall---that's just how rookie contracts work. So if he felt like he was the best QB in the draft and should have got paid more based on the draft pool and ofcourse he is going to feel type of way about seeing Mitch get picked in the top-3. And it would make sense that he is trying to lie about the Bears to make them look bad. 

But again, this all seems childish to me because he's going to make more money than Mitch anyways and so why come out and say something publicly about something that has nothing to do with your situation other than him getting caught in his feelings?

It makes no sense to me.  

I’m with you on the idea that he’s going to make more money than Mitch, but he doesn’t have that contract yet.  For example, on Friday i was working until 8pm and i was STARVING the last couple hours of my shift.  My wife and i were ordering Lou Malnatis when i got home.  I knew it was going to happen, but it didn’t help my hunger in the moment.  If anything, thinking about it made it worse.

And Deshaun is just one helmet to the knee cap, awkward fall on his shoulder, etc from not getting that mega contract.

12 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I l don't think that means you should take nonsense either though haha.....like all those guys were the right picks except Tebow.....some guys miss....that doesn't mean you just lose your mind and start taking whoever haha

Idk. They were the right positions to be picked as they were major needs for those teams. But they all flopped and to me that means they weren't the right pick. Otherwise Kevin White was the right pick too, since our WR Corp needed a significant boost after losing BMarsh. 

For example Tru was the right position but flopped. McCaffery would have been a much better pick overall for the Bears but would have been a terrible pick at the time imo. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 10:55 AM, G08 said:

Yep.

Watson was my guy, but it is ENTIRELY PLAUSIBLE that Pace (right or wrong) had Watson 3rd amongst the top 3 QBs on tape (there were without question durability, arm strength and turnover prone concerns there for Watson leading up to the draft) and knowing that Garrett would almost surely go either 1 or 2 Pace was never going to have to get down to his 3rd choice of QB. In that light, why “waste” a visit on a guy you know you’re not taking that you can use for a guy you might when you’re only permitted so many of them? Hell, even if QBs went 1-2 in front of him it’s also ENTIRELY PLAUSIBLE Pace then takes Garrett (the consensus top prospect in that draft and also a huge need for us in the 2017 draft) at 3 instead of a QB. 

Not trying to be defending Pace here, but the vitriol from his not having had dinner with Watson ridiculous. People equate it to them not looking at Watson as a prospect which is an absurd stretch. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I agree. Not thoroughly vetting all 3 top QBs and then trading up for the worst one is incredibly stupid.

#firepace

I guess what they're saying is that Pace saw enough tape on Watson to determine he wasn't their guy so then why bother courting him if they absolutely knew they wouldn't be drafting him?

As if a dinner or meeting with him would have changed their mind.  It's a stupid discussion really.  

If you want to argue whether it was stupid for Pace not to have Watson ranked higher than Trubisky then that's a legit conversation but the former would be the same as arguing why the Jags didn't wine and dine Dalvin Cook fully knowing they were not going to draft him because they knew thay they'd get either Fournette or McCaffrey, two guys they had ranked higher than Cook.

Edited by topwop1

Perfect example case #2:

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I agree. Not thoroughly vetting all 3 top QBs and then trading up for the worst one is incredibly stupid.

#firepace

Meanwhile, back in 2017 you were singing an entirely different tune. 

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21477213#21477213

They gave up a ton. Pace just pushed all of his chips into the middle.

But for weeks I have said I wanted the Bears to show some stones and to pick a guy to develop. To commit to the position.

They did. I am not going to complain now.

Trubisky is a franchise QB or Pace is gone and I am fine with that. It beats sitting in mediocrity for 5 more years.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588297

2017 Draft Thoughts and Observations

Overall, I liked the Bears plan of attack, even if I do not know some of the players as well as much as I would have liked. I applaud the temerity to move up and get your QB a move that was long overdue for the Bears and once you got him everything becomes about making sure that he is successful. I know that the defense had needs and I know that it was a good defensive draft, but the Bears world is about Trubisky now.

1[2] QB Mitchell Trubisky [UNC]

The Move

I was shocked when the Bears moved up and I was shocked when they selected a QB, but after the shock wore off I was incredibly impressed that Ryan Pace moved boldly to select his QB and hopefully put an end to a crippling need that the Bears have had forever. All I can ask of my GM is that he will be bold when he has conviction on the QB and that he will get his guy in the building and developing. The NFL is a QB driven league and if you have one you are relevant and the Bears took a major step towards being relevant. The trade doesn't matter to me. Either Trubisky becomes a franchise QB or Pace is fired, it doesn't really matter if he spent the 3rd overall pick or traded for the 2nd pick. The worse thing that would have come from this is if Pace had not gotten to pick his guy and we watched him play for Cleveland instead, to me that is unforgivable. I applaud Ryan Pace for putting his job on the line. A GM should not get to limp around for 4-5 years with lousy veteran QBs talking about rebuilding. It is his job to answer the QB question and he did so loudly and boldly. Prior to the draft I had talked passionately about the need to address the QB position and that building the defense did not move the Bears towards a Championship, so I will not kill the guy who actually did that.

I will never understand those who attack the move saying we need to run the ball and play defense. The Bears have run the ball and played defense for years and never won anything. It is an outdated model that some fans seem to be stuck in. You cannot continue to push off the QB decision while playing great defense and going 8-8 and not being able to compete with elite QBs.

The Player

I like Mitch Trubisky, although I was a big fan of Deshaun Watson. I think the Bears have a QB with every physical tool you can ask for. He is athletic, he is accurate, and he can make all the throws. I like what he did at UNC in limited action. a 5:1 TD:INT ratio shows that he is able to produce while still protecting the ball, which will be a welcome change in Chicago. The fact that he can break the pocket and hurt teams with his legs is a bonus and almost a must in today's NFL. People point to a bad Sun Bowl, but outside of the 2 INTs he threw, which were bad, he led the team back and threw 4 game tying TDs, 3 of which were dropped. This was all while being assaulted by Solomon Thomas. I am not an expert on Mitch Trubisky, but Mel Kiper said if he went back to school he would probably have been the 1st pick in 2018. To me I would rather have him developing in the Bears system and with their WRs, than at UNC running the spread.

@WindyCity

Final Bears Mock Draft 2017
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587908

1[3] DE Solomon Thomas = BUST
2[36] S Obi Melifonwu [UConn] 6'4" 224lbs. = BUST
2[54] QB Nate Peterman [Pitt] 6'3" 225lbs. = BUST (Peterman in the 2nd round!?!
O.o)
4[117] OT Julien Davenport [Bucknell] 6'7" 318lbs. = BUST
5[147] WR Robert Davis [Georgia St] 6'3" 219lbs, 4.44 [40], 19 reps, 41" vert, 11'4" broad = BUST

7[220] CB Channing Stribling [Michigan] 6'1" 200lbs. = BUST

You are terrible at evaluating players. 

#FireWindyFromAllSocialMediaPlatforms  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

@WindyCity

O.o)
5[147] WR Robert Davis [Georgia St] 6'3" 219lbs, 4.44 [40], 19 reps, 41" vert, 11'4" broad = BUST

Damn, dude lol

12 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Perfect example case #2:

Meanwhile, back in 2017 you were singing an entirely different tune. 

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21477213#21477213

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588297

I have no problem with the move. I like that he went and got his guy. You seem to think I have a problem with the trade or the move, I don't, I have a problem that he missed the evaluation. I can get some crayons out and draw it out for you if that would make things easier.

He was wrong and as I said then,

Trubisky is a franchise QB or Pace is gone and I am fine with that. It beats sitting in mediocrity for 5 more years.

Either Trubisky becomes a franchise QB or Pace is fired, it doesn't really matter if he spent the 3rd overall pick or traded for the 2nd pick. 

I wanted the Bears to take a QB and to get there guy. He was wrong and it crippled the franchise.

Edited by WindyCity

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

@WindyCity

O.o)

I put a mock together based on what I think the Bears will do and where guys are projected to go. That is not what I would like to do.

None of those are my evaluations.

As I stated a number of times, I wanted them to go QB in 2017.

I am not sure what is so hard about this to understand.

Pace went all in on Trubisky, going all in was the right move, he picked the wrong QB and he does not get a pass for that. I am not talking about the trade at all.

Alternatively you can just accept massive failure of the move and trudge along in mediocrity like a good Bears fan or a Pace burner account,

Edited by WindyCity