Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

Question for you all...what paints Pace & Nagy in a better light?...

Trubisky plays well and we finish 9-7 and lose 1st round of the playoffs

Trubisky doesn't play a snap all season and Foles wins the starting gig and we go 11-5 and win a game in the playoffs.

Which is better for Pace & Nagy?

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Trubisky doesn't play a snap all season and Foles wins the starting gig and we go 11-5 and win a game in the playoffs.

Option 1. It provides the most long term security. Trubisky being a major bust would follow Pace for a long time.

Trubisky being good changes the narrative and the long term outlook of the team.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am at this point with giving Pace another year. If the team is good, which I have serious doubts about based on the offense, then he is welcome to stick around.

But if Trubisky is a Gabbert level bust, and not starting in year 4 is pretty much reserved for Gabbert, Weeden, and Manziel, that is an all time draft miss and there should be consequences for that.

I am luke warm on Pace.  I am not demanding he be fired, but I no longer feel like he is indispensable.

I like his overall management style and many of his philosophies, but I strongly disagree with a number of his draft picks (in real time - hindsight is not fair).    

I just look around NFL and you could do a lot worse than Pace given total package.  But he flubbed the MT pick with a future HOFer on the board making it 10x worse.  

... so he has to live with that.  I don't know that there HAS to be consequences and there are no second chances for GMs on a missed QB pick.  It is fairly easy to do.  Even good evaluators do it.  I mean Jimmy Johnson drafted Steve Walsh with number 2 pick a year after drafting Aikman and he is one of best finders of talent ever.    I can probably think of a number of other examples off top of my head  ... Bill Walsh drafted a bust QB he was super high on, can't remember his name.  Steelers passed on Marino, etc.   

I thought he should have waited until 2018 class with a new coach.  That QB class was supposed to be bee's knees and deep, all any one talked about.   Let Fox lose with Glennon and start anew with a new QB.

Kind of like why take a WR last year in 4th when this year's class is supposed to be super deep at WR? 

• Like 1

The real nightmare for Pace and Nagy, and I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility, is that Nick Foles plays and the Bears go 8-8 and the offense is bad again.

That is why I think starting Foles is a major risk. If you make the choice to go to him and he is bad and you either have to go back to Mitch or the offense is just bad then we might need to talk about a regime change.

Can't blame the QB at that point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's divided if I have to choose between those two scenarios and who looks better with each.

Pace = Trubisky plays well.  MT is his albatross.  And Mahomes is one that got away.   

Nagy = 11-5 with Foles.   

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Option number two, obviously. Foles could still play for years yet. They could go get a young guy to groom if they wanted. They wouldn't have to pay Trubisky $25 mil/year and hope to hell he doesn't have another brain fart laden season.  And, it would be proof the team was headed in a championship direction. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Option number two, obviously. Foles could still play for years yet. They could go get a young guy to groom if they wanted. They wouldn't have to pay Trubisky $25 mil/year and hope to hell he doesn't have another brain fart laden season.  And, it would be proof the team was headed in a championship direction. 

They would have to pay Foles 25 million/season.

Foles has never played 16 games, never held down a starting job for more than a season, and has always turned back into a pumpkin.

The best thing for the Bears is that Trubisky plays well and earns a 2nd deal. That could set them up for a decade or more of QB stability. Foles, you are heading back to the draft in the near future.

• Like 1

Winning will be better for Pace and (especially) Nagy.

5 minutes ago, ForteOz said:

Winning will be better for Pace and (especially) Nagy.

It might actually be split.

Trubisky being a major bust probably means that this is Pace's last GM job even when he gets fired. Guys who pick the real busts often do not get back into the top position.

Nagy may care much more about momentary winning and his record.

If you could tell me that we would make the playoffs with Mitch, that is the best of both worlds.

Option 1 is best because if Trubisky is good, the outlook for the future is greatly enhanced. It would also be a major upset if #1 happens, because that would mean a ton of injuries to the D. If Trubisky plays well they're winning 11+ games.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Option 1 is best because if Trubisky is good, the outlook for the future is greatly enhanced. It would also be a major upset if #1 happens, because that would mean a ton of injuries to the D. If Trubisky plays well they're winning 11+ games.

I think you have a better chance as well of winning 11 games with Trubiksy than Foles.

Foles provides the floor for the entire thing.

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

The most likely financial outcome of Trubisky playing well is that the Bears tag him for the 2021 season. That would be a financial poison pill that would kick-off a talent exodus. The Bears would have no cap space and would be left without viable starters at several positions.

If you have a QB playing at a high level you can survive that.

Foles isn’t going to be any cheaper in option 2.

The Bears have enough overpaid “talent” to survive it.