Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I understand Polian ‘consulted’ and picked Fox and he picked Pace as well and Pace didn’t get to pick first coach.  Pace got to pick Nagy. 

I do not hold Fox against Pace. It was Acorsi who pushed Fox.

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Pretty sure Arians passed on the Bears, dude...

Arians was sitting in a hotel room in Chicago waiting for the Bears to make a decision and wanted the job.

Emery chose Trestman over Arians.

That was a pretty big miss.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not hold Fox against Pace. It was Acorsi who pushed Fox.

I don’t think Arians was interested when Pace picked Nagy or he may have still been coaching AZ.  I don’t remember.

But picking unknown Nagy right before KC offense exploded was interesting foresight at least.  He recognized that the west coast/chip Kelly hybrid that Reid developed was best trending O of the moment even before Mahomes.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

Arians was sitting in a hotel room in Chicago waiting for the Bears to make a decision and wanted the job.

I thought you were saying Pace missed on Arians. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Front office personnel and coaches are largely evaluated on their ability to build winning teams, not on individual draft picks.

With that said I'm not sure how many mediocre seasons Pace can survive. He's put together 1 winning season in his tenure as Bears GM.

Ultimately Pace will get evaluated on how well he recovers from picking Mitch and then assuming Mitch was good enough to go into win-now mode.  This years record and how it's achieved will determine if he gets another year, I think he likely does if the Bears do anything better than 8-8. Sorry. 

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

I thought you meant last time. I'd forgotten Emery blew that one. 

• Like 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-bears/bruce-arians-has-no-hard-feelings-being-passed-over-bears-job

McAfee: "When you played against the Chicago Bears the first time (in 2015), after them not giving you the job ... did you attempt to bury them?"

Arians: "Yes."

Bruce Arians was confident he had the job. After what he described as a thorough and productive interview at Halas Hall in January 2013, Arians was readying himself to become the head coach of the Bears. Yet in the end he was passed over with then-Bears general manager Phil Emery opting to hire Marc Trestman instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

Ultimately Pace will get evaluated on how well he recovers from picking Mitch and then assuming Mitch was good enough to go into win-now mode.  This years record and how it's achieved will determine if he gets another year, I think he likely does if the Bears do anything better than 8-8. Sorry. 

I think that is correct assessment.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I thought you were saying Pace missed on Arians. 

No I am saying Trubisky and Arians were the two biggest misses of recent Bears history.

Different GMs, but massive misses that have kept the franchise down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-bears/bruce-arians-has-no-hard-feelings-being-passed-over-bears-job

McAfee: "When you played against the Chicago Bears the first time (in 2015), after them not giving you the job ... did you attempt to bury them?"

Arians: "Yes."

Bruce Arians was confident he had the job. After what he described as a thorough and productive interview at Halas Hall in January 2013, Arians was readying himself to become the head coach of the Bears. Yet in the end he was passed over with then-Bears general manager Phil Emery opting to hire Marc Trestman instead.

Yes that was stupid.  

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think Pace is going to survive, but that says more about the Bears organization than what Pace has earned in his tenure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

No I am saying Trubisky and Arians were the two biggest misses of recent Bears history.

Different GMs, but massive misses that have kept the franchise down.

Yes, but missing on a QB is easy thing to do.  You have a lot more solid info on coaches.