Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

42 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ah I see..you had to go there?  Yes in hindsight it looks like a real dumb pick, but Trubs was ranked at the top of a lot of people's boards at QB when he declared.  We can't keep re-hashing this.  Not going to change a damn thing.

The only thing we can hope for is that these decisions (Foles trade + no option pick up) truly brings out the best in Mitch and if it doesn't then at least the organization tried to do everything in their power to make the guy succeed.  At least they are moving towards admitting their "mistake" if it turns out that he is not the future QB to lead this team.

I was trying not to, but if Tru had the same resume as Watson and Watson had the same resume as Tru. Youre telling me we take Watson.....smh.....

Hindsight really only applies to Mahomes...Watson was an open and shut case better prospect than Mitch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I was trying not to, but if Tru had the same resume as Watson and Watson had the same resume as Tru. Youre telling me we take Watson.....smh.....

Hindsight really only applies to Mahomes...Watson was an open and shut case better prospect than Mitch.

Only a few of us really were big on Mahomes since most thought he was a system QB who beat up on bad defenses,  Watson had turnover issues with elite talent around him, etc. Trubisky had solid production and had few bad habits it seemed. Each QB had a different warts and pros to consider.

I can see the argument being made for and against each prospect. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Foles is far and away the best FA QB the Bears have ever signed, and probably not just my lifetime. In fact I don't recall a single SBchamp ever playing QB for us !   except for mcMahon of course, who we drafted RD1 

Completely agree with you on why MT not picked up

Hate to say it but Erik Kramer was the best FA QB.  Unfortunately injuries shorten his career

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Personally I wouldn't have told you that because I liked Watson the most out of all QB prospects that draft year but I vividly remember how much negative press he was getting leading up to the draft and how a lot of teams didn't view him as a legit franchise QB in the NFL.

The fact that Watson went 12th overall, behind both Tru and Mahomes shows you that more than a few teams didn't think that highly of him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Personally I wouldn't have told you that because I liked Watson the most out of all QB prospects that draft year but I vividly remember how much negative press he was getting leading up to the draft and how a lot of teams didn't view him as a legit franchise QB in the NFL.

The fact that Watson went 12th overall, behind both Tru and Mahomes shows you that more than a few teams didn't think that highly of him.

Watson was my guy, but this is 100% accurate. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

To be fair, a lot of teams didn't view Trubisky as a legit franchise QB in the NFL. It was considered a weaker QB draft with some obviously flawed prospects.

22 hours ago, GBHalas said:

Hate to say it but Erik Kramer was the best FA QB.  Unfortunately injuries shorten his career

I like Kramer who was solid .... but if you ask non-Bears fans who is better, I'm sure most (if not all) will say Foles.

18 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

To be fair, a lot of teams didn't view Trubisky as a legit franchise QB in the NFL. It was considered a weaker QB draft with some obviously flawed prospects.

Idk, teams will always love/hate prospects but I think the "next year hype" is a media fabrication. I liked Tru's class way more than the following years class, which was supposedly better than Tru's from what I always read. It seems almost every year the next class is said to be better than the current one. I believe I had Mahomes, Tru and Watson as the top 3 and then Rosen as the next best after them in the two year group, then Kizer. The following class just looked really weak to me. 

Edited by Sugashane

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Idk, teams will always love/hate prospects but I think the "next year hype" is a media fabrication. I liked Tru's class way more than the following years class, which was supposedly better than Tru's from what I always read. It seems almost every year the next class is said to be better than the current one. I believe I had Mahomes, Tru and Watson as the top 3 and then Rosen as the next best after them in the two year group, then Kizer. The following class just looked really weak to me. 

I just think it’s somewhat telling that 2 QB needy teams at the top opted to pass on that year’s QB class.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:30 PM, topwop1 said:

Ah I see..you had to go there?  Yes in hindsight it looks like a real dumb pick, but Trubs was ranked at the top of a lot of people's boards at QB when he declared.  We can't keep re-hashing this.  Not going to change a damn thing.

The only thing we can hope for is that these decisions (Foles trade + no option pick up) truly brings out the best in Mitch and if it doesn't then at least the organization tried to do everything in their power to make the guy succeed.  At least they are moving towards admitting their "mistake" if it turns out that he is not the future QB to lead this team.

Generally I am the last person to jump to these kinds of conclusions. If you were to ask me why Kaep never got another contract, I would say 'because he got worse every year he was in the league, and by the time he was benched he was awful, and now clearly has higher priorities than football'.

But I am willing to at least entertain the thought that Pace sure does seem to have his ideal of what the right QB 'looks' like. Whether consciously or subconsciously, and clearly to his own detriment.

Trubs, Watson, Mahomes and he picks Trubs.

Bridgewater, Winston, Cam available as FA's and he trades for Foles. IDK man, might be something there.

Or maybe we are drawing conclusions from relatively small sample sizes and that is not fair. 

You know, like taking the guy with 1 season of college ball production and great intangibles over the rest of the (more productive) field... :D

Hopefully Pace puts this conspiracy theory to bed next year and takes a good hard look at someone like Winston, or Cam (if healthy).

Also FWIW, lots of people hated the pick, and especially the trade up, the second it was made.

On 5/2/2020 at 5:59 PM, WindyCity said:

If Pace and Nagy go right to Foles and he sucks... can we please talk about firing people?

What would there be to talk about? The only way they'd have him as an Opening Day starter is if Trubisky continues to suck (like the last two games of last season). I mean...how could there even be any sort of discussion at that point? They'd have to go. The team would likely spiral out of control, too. You could fire them both in-season. 

On 5/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, beardown3231 said:

Yeah except he's never been okay so I doubt it

That's not really true.

On 5/3/2020 at 7:47 AM, GBHalas said:

I was gonna point that out, but you beat me to it. What could have been, right? 

24 minutes ago, ForteOz said:

Bridgewater, Winston, Cam available as FA's and he trades for Foles. IDK man, might be something there.

Bridgewater wanted starter's money, or close to it. I'd MUCH rather have Foles than Winston or Cam. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Bridgewater wanted starter's money, or close to it. I'd MUCH rather have Foles than Winston or Cam. 

You are higher on Foles than I am, and I'm still expecting him to win the job handily.

Cam has some health questions to clear up, and jury is out on whether Winton's time with the Saints will give him a reset and refresh. Those two options were more for next offseason, than this one. I'm curious how many people would have preferred Foles to Winston before either were acquired, though.

Bridgewater wanting starter money is fine with me. The price is the price. Is he not worth it? Or did we not have the cap space? Genuinely asking.

26 minutes ago, ForteOz said:

You are higher on Foles than I am, and I'm still expecting him to win the job handily.

Cam has some health questions to clear up, and jury is out on whether Winton's time with the Saints will give him a reset and refresh. Those two options were more for next offseason, than this one. I'm curious how many people would have preferred Foles to Winston before either were acquired, though.

Bridgewater wanting starter money is fine with me. The price is the price. Is he not worth it? Or did we not have the cap space? Genuinely asking.

They're still paying Mitch a lot, whether he sit or starts, so I'm pretty sure Bridgewater would be out their price range. 

I was down on Winston and Newton because I think they're both head cases. And that's not at all what we need right now. Newton's just said he's not signing anywhere if he isn't the starter. That's...messed up...at best

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

What would there be to talk about? The only way they'd have him as an Opening Day starter is if Trubisky continues to suck (like the last two games of last season). I mean...how could there even be any sort of discussion at that point? They'd have to go. The team would likely spiral out of control, too. You could fire them both in-season. 

That's not really true.

I was gonna point that out, but you beat me to it. What could have been, right? 

When was Trubisky better than "okay?" Take away 2 quarters of the Bucs game in 2018 and he had 18 touchdowns and 12 INT that year. That's not better than okay in today's day and age, that's below average. Last year he flat out stunk.

Edited by beardown3231