Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Yes he was confident that Mitch was the right guy, that much is clear.  But how does that mean that he also didn't vet the other QB's to the best of his and his scouting staff's abilities?

He may have missed but it wasn't for a lack of trying to do his best job to bring in the right guy he thought would lead this franchise for years to come.

That is the problem, his "best effort" resulted in a really bad pick. One that is going to be mentioned in every draft special and follies video from now till the end of time.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Yes it would but people need to get over it already.  Nothing we can do to change it.

That is not exactly true.

We cannot go back in time and take Mahomes, but we can hold the staff responsible for the mistake accountable for the failure.

I would like to fire Pace after the season and allow another staff to put their "best effort" into finding the next QB.

Edited by WindyCity

Just now, WindyCity said:

That is the problem, his "best effort" resulted in a really bad pick. One that is going to be mentioned in every draft special and follies video from now till the end of time.

Ya and he'll have to live with that unfortunately for the rest of his life, unless he brings a championship to the Bears before his tenure as GM here is done or hits on another QB, or maybe Mitch still ends up working out, who knows?

I just find it very annoying when people who were on board with the pick at the time are now using revisionist history to completely ridicule it.  Just accept he missed.  It happens.

It''s not like there weren't countless other pundits who had Mitch ranked #1 QB that year.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya and he'll have to live with that unfortunately for the rest of his life, unless he brings a championship to the Bears before his tenure as GM here is done or hits on another QB, or maybe Mitch still ends up working out, who knows?

I just find it very annoying when people who were on board with the pick at the time are now using revisionist history to completely ridicule it.  Just accept he missed.  It happens.

It''s not like there weren't countless other pundits who had Mitch ranked #1 QB that year.

Unfortunately none of the pundits or people who liked the pick are responsible for its results.

As I said then, Pace and Trubisky are tied together and if Trubisky is a failure, which appears to be the case, Pace should lose his job.

This is my stance and I will hold it this season,

Trubisky is good. Pace keeps his job and moves forward with 10, thank god we salvaged it.

Foles is good. Pace keeps his job as we will have a couple of years of stability. His hail mary worked.

Trubisky is bad, Foles starts and plays okay, fire Pace as it is obvious that 10 has cost us a competitive window and Foles isn't providing stability.

Trubisky and Foles are bad, fire everyone because 10 is bad and the offense cannot be blamed all on him.

Edited by WindyCity

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If Foles starts week 1 then Nagy is really out of scape goats for a bad offense.

No he isn’t because its his call who starts.  He is out of scape goats regardless.  I didn’t hear one lick of him banging any tables for a top O linemen in FA or draft.   So he got what he wanted.  I believe Pace would have accommodated him.  

Now Nagy has to produce offensively.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

No he isn’t because its his call who starts.  He is out of scape goats regardless.  I didn’t hear one lick of him banging any tables for a top O linemen in FA or draft.   So he got what he wanted.  I believe Pace would have accommodated him.  

Now Nagy has to produce offensively.  

You really think it'd be made public that Nagy wanted OL and Pace went against his wishes? We truly have no idea.

With that being said I bet you're right. I think he really trusts Castillo and he not only believes Castillo will elevate their play but the players can't be as bad as they were last year.

Not sure it's a fire I'd want to play with if I were him, but here we are.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

You really think it'd be made public that Nagy wanted OL and Pace went against his wishes? We truly have no idea.

With that being said I bet you're right. I think he really trusts Castillo and he not only believes Castillo will elevate their play but the players can't be as bad as they were last year.

Yeah, but given our draft resources and cap space we were always going into 2020 with weaknesses that couldn't be fully addressed.  We couldn't fix the OL with a home run signing because we had to... checks notes... sign Jimmy Graham?

Just now, RunningVaccs said:

Yeah, but given our draft resources and cap space we were always going into 2020 with weaknesses that couldn't be fully addressed.  We couldn't fix the OL with a home run signing because we had to... checks notes... sign Jimmy Graham?

And use 2 more picks on corners. Gotta make sure that happens since doing the same thing last year wasn't sufficient.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If Foles goes 11-5 and win a playoff game he is going to cost you 25 million in 2021.

It is a out sustained success. Trubisky being good gives you the best chance at sustained success, Foles has never sustained anything.

The dude just re-up'ed for 3 years with us...the team control that contract and no one is paying him $25 million...

Trubisky has never sustained anything so why on earth would you back that horse over Foles for less money?

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

The dude just re-up'ed for 3 years with us...the team control that contract and no one is paying him $25 million...

Trubisky has never sustained anything so why on earth would you back that horse over Foles for less money?

He has opt outs in the contract every year.

If he plays well he is going to opt out and cash in.

The Bears control nothing.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Mitch is 4 years into his career. If he plays well in 2020 that would be 2 full seasons where he played well.

Foles has played a decade. You have far more of  track record of what he is.

55 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It wouldn't be public you are right.  But I think if OL was Nagy's priority he would have gotten an OL and not just Ifedi.

I think Nagy prioritized new TEs and he got it.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Being replaced before your 4th season is a distinction that is only held by 2 QBs in the last 15 years.

Top 5: Jamarcus

Top 10: Gabbert who has been a long time backup

He hasn't been replaced yet.

Everything that the Bears have done this offseason is still geared towards giving Mitch every opportunity to hold onto the starting QB job and to prove he is worthy of being given starting QB money beyond 2020.

IMO Foles isn't good enough that he completely replaces Mitch week 1.  Foles is the ultimate and perfect contingency plan...if there is even a season to be played in 2020.

Like you mentioned in another post, I agree that Nagy is going to run out of scapegoats if he starts Foles week 1 and the team continues to struggle on offense.  This is why I think Mitch starts at least the 1st quarter of the new season and he will have to play high quality winning football, because otherwise his leash will be extremely short.

Side note I would totally take that bet on Mitch being the week 1 starter.  That is a very good value bet.  

Edited by topwop1