Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Again this isn't about Foles vs. Tru for the next 10 years...this is about Tru being able to play well for every season of the next 10 years...not just every 2nd season...if you believe that is what he will be like then you move on and draft a guy who you feel can play well all the time.

The point is if you can avoid going back into the draft and making another expensive crap shoot that is what you try to do.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If he just went 11-5 and won a playoff game?

The Bears will likely pay it. 

Teddy got 23 million and played 5 games.

Tannehill got more than that for doing the exact same thing you mentioned I your hypothetical.

And yet Foles wouldn't...teams have been down that road with him and no one else will do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The point is if you can avoid going back into the draft and making another expensive crap shoot that is what you try to do.

It's really not...I would take the gamble on success everytime over 10 years of inconsistent play at a high cap hit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

It's really not...I would take the gamble on success everytime over 10 years of inconsistent play at a high cap hit.

Your making a lot of assumptions.

If Mitch plays well you tag him and see if he does it again.

If he does then you would think about paying him.

They are not going to let a QB walk after a good season, so they can jump back into the uncertainty of the draft. Even more so if they are picking in the 20s.

Edited by WindyCity

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

And yet Foles wouldn't...teams have been down that road with him and no one else will do it.

What would the difference be at that point between him and Ryan Tannehill?

If Foles plays well enough for the Bears to go 11-5 and wins a playoff game, he will opt out, and the Bears will have to pay him because they would be idiotic to not try and sustain what happened in 2020.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

They are not going to let a QB walk after a good season, so they can jump back into the uncertainty of the draft. Even more so if they are picking in the 20s.

If Mitch plays well, meaning plays like he has arrived (4000+ yards, 30/12 or better), you don’t honestly think they would tag him over extending him, do you? Not only would Pace absolutely take that opportunity to spike the ball by reupping the guy he’s taken heat over drafting for the past 4 years but it’s also what the league has done in similar situations, with Tannehill (4/$118M) being an obvious recent example.

Whether doing a similar deal with Mitch would be prudent is another discussion entirely, but to think when we finally have what plays like a franchise QB especially after enduring the bumps along the way to get to that point to think we wouldn’t then commit to reaping all of the the presumptive rewards of our patience with Mitch at that point I think would be incredibly naive. Plus, let’s be honest, if Mitch arrives in 2020 there a very likely chance we’re entering the offseason coming off of a deep playoff run. When that happens, key guys get paid. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Mitch plays well, meaning plays like he has arrived (4000+ yards, 30/12 or better), you don’t honestly think they would tag him over extending him, do you? Not only would Pace absolutely take that opportunity to spike the ball by reupping the guy he’s taken heat over drafting for the past 4 years but it’s also what the league has done in similar situations, with Tannehill (4/$118M) being an obvious recent example.

Whether doing a similar deal with Mitch would be prudent is another discussion entirely, but to think when we finally have what plays like a franchise QB especially after enduring the bumps along the way to get to that point to think we wouldn’t then commit to reaping all of the the presumptive rewards of our patience with Mitch at that point I think would be incredibly naive. Plus, let’s be honest, if Mitch arrives in 2020 there a very likely chance we’re entering the offseason coming off of a deep playoff run. When that happens, key guys get paid. 

I think he will get tagged and may get extended.

I think that an extension will be determined by how well he does. 4000 30+ and 15- I could see them extending him and Pace taking his victory lap.

I do not see anyway that they make the playoffs and do not pay, one way or the other, the QB that got them there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not see anyway that they make the playoffs and do not pay, one way or the other, the QB that got them there.

That's probably true. That doesn't mean they'd give Foles a massive contract, though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's probably true. That doesn't mean they'd give Foles a massive contract, though. 

You really think they are letting a QB walk that took them deep into the playoffs?

That is not logical.

This is literally the Ryan Tannehill situation all over again.

Edited by WindyCity

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

So your saying to Mitch play well when we put you in competition then he does and you only tag him? What kind of message is that sending to him or the rest of this team? You have to have conviction in your approach...if Mitch plays really well you need to look to extend him because you can't let your team think they are not going to be rewarded...can you really say given what we have seen from Mitch you would be happy to give him 4 years $110 million? Because that is how you are handcuffing your team for a guy I don't think anyone has a ton of faith in...

You say to me right now Trubisky playing well for a season and us gining him $110 million or spend pick #24 on a QB like Brock Purdy and I am taking Purdy every time.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You really think they are letting a QB walk that took them deep into the playoffs?

That is not logical.

This is literally the Ryan Tannehill situation all over again.

Did the QB get us to the playoffs or did the rest of the team? Beacuse that is the true question...did Ryan Tennehill get Tennessee to the playoffs or did Derrick Henry and solid defence?...

Just because Tennesee were stupid enough to give out that type of contract doesn't mean to say we should be.

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Did the QB get us to the playoffs or did the rest of the team? Beacuse that is the true question...did Ryan Tennehill get Tennessee to the playoffs or did Derrick Henry and solid defence?...

Just because Tennesee were stupid enough to give out that type of contract doesn't mean to say we should be.

I mean, he did have 22 TD, 6 INT, a YPA north of 9 and a completion percentage over 70%.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

I mean, he did have 22 TD, 6 INT, a YPA north of 9 and a completion percentage over 70%.

Yeah but he had all of that behind an elite offensive line and loaded boxes because teams knew they had to stop that run game at all costs...bottom line is there is a lot of ways to skin a cat and when you can have the 4th lowest percantage of passing plays  (compared to us last year with the 11th most) it is hard to say that is all being generated by a QB alone.

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah but he had all of that behind an elite offensive line and loaded boxes because teams knew they had to stop that run game at all costs...bottom line is there is a lot of ways to skin a cat and when you can have the 4th lowest percantage of passing plays  (compared to us last year with the 11th most) it is hard to say that is all being generated by a QB alone.

Of course not, but clearly a bad QB wasn't getting it done there. Tannehill obviously had a huge say in the turnaround because the guy he replaced was playing like a doofus with the same guys around him.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

Of course not, but clearly a bad QB wasn't getting it done there. Tannehill obviously had a huge say in the turnaround because the guy he replaced was playing like a doofus with the same guys around him.

I'm not taking anything away from what Tannehill did...but how many times have we seen a guy catch lighting in a bottle at QB...Foles is one of them...I just don't see Tannehill replicating those numbers this year and you are then paying for past performance rather than what you expect him to do in the future.