Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

What if he repeats his 2018 performance?

That would be a tag scenario for me.

If he had played at 2018 levels in 2019 they would have picked up his option.

2018 wasn’t good enough for a long term commitment, but was good enough you wouldn’t just chuck him.

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Mitch is good enough in 2020 to justify a franchise tag in 2021 then I think he’ll have been good enough to justify an extension to Pace. If he’s just okay he’s not getting tagged even if just okay coincides with a deep playoff run. Hell, if he’s just okay there’s a very real chance he finds himself on the bench behind Foles at some point. If he’s good and the light has clearly come on then they’re going to commit to him. That may start with a franchise tag, but ultimately I think the likelihood he actually plays on a franchise tag in Chicago in 2021 is pretty low. 

They could easily work on an extension. The tag just ensures they don’t get Goffed. 

If he wants that comical Goff contract after 1 good year you aren’t forced to accept that.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Then don't suck for 3 years and make it difficult on your team to tag you. What else do you want us to say? It's there for a reason. If Trubisky feels slighted, come in and have a repeat season. If he can't, adios.

And you another year down the line and in the same position of needing a new QB...like I said you have to have conviction in that decision...either pay him or move on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It is a terrible advert for your franchise though when it comes to signing other guys or the guys who are coming up to a contract year the following year.

You are exaggerating the negative consequences of the tag. It gets used 10 times and offseason by all teams and has no observable negative impact.

I am interested in a time when the tag caused all of these disruptive issues you are talking about?

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Mitch is good enough in 2020 to justify a franchise tag in 2021 then I think he’ll have been good enough to justify an extension to Pace. If he’s just okay he’s not getting tagged even if just okay coincides with a deep playoff run. Hell, if he’s just okay there’s a very real chance he finds himself on the bench behind Foles at some point. If he’s good and the light has clearly come on then they’re going to commit to him. That may start with a franchise tag, but ultimately I think the likelihood he actually plays on a franchise tag in Chicago in 2021 is pretty low. 

2021 Franchise tag after Mahomes and Dak and Watson sign is going to be something like 38 million guaranteed.   Maybe less, but a lot.  For one year.

MT is not going to turn that down unless he has a Mahomes 2018 type season or wins the Super Bowl for Bears. 

Edited by dll2000

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

2021 Franchise tag after Mahomes and Dak and Watson sign is going to be something like 38 million guaranteed.   Maybe less, but a lot.  For one year.

MT is not going to turn that down unless he has a Mahomes 2018 type season or wins the Super Bowl for Bears. 

Question more likely will be will franchise tag be too much for Bears, not for MT.

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

And you another year down the line and in the same position of needing a new QB...like I said you have to have conviction in that decision...either pay him or move on.

I agree with this - unless Trubisky shows serious improvement over 2018's performance, I think it's in the Bears' best interests to move on. Young QBs are far more capable in the modern NFL and 2nd QB contracts are typically prohibitive unless the QB is a guaranteed level-raiser like Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, etc.

Odds and conventional wisdom is MT doesn't even start and his career as a starter is essentially over in NFL.  But we'll see.  

Maybe he bucks the odds.  He has to win the job first in camp first.  Meaning he has to ball out in preseason and camp, which carries its own set of variables.

Are guys playing not to get hurt?  Is there a game plan?  When is he going in?  Who is he going in with?  How are they doing team practice?  Who is getting what reps against what looks?  

More likely it isn't a true competition and whoever Nagy prefers is the starter until/if he sucks and then the other guy gets his chance. 

Just now, dll2000 said:

More likely it isn't a true competition and whoever Nagy prefers is the starter until/if he sucks and then the other guy gets his chance. 

Also, regardless, odds are very much in favor of whoever is named starter going down for at least a few games and other guy getting his shot.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

I agree with this - unless Trubisky shows serious improvement over 2018's performance, I think it's in the Bears' best interests to move on. Young QBs are far more capable in the modern NFL and 2nd QB contracts are typically prohibitive unless the QB is a guaranteed level-raiser like Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, etc.

Pace isn't going to expose himself to another QB search.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Pace isn't going to expose himself to another QB search.

This would be the first time Pace would be drafting a QB for an established offensive system.

Foles would be the first acquisition for said offensive system.