Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If Foles is his normal mediocre self & Trubisky continues to stink, he's not going to quit. He's going to be fired.

The McCaskeys don't seem to care about anything until you lose the locker room. I think Pace has until he becomes a joke. He's built a strong culture and hired a publicly liked coach. I wonder if they have a longer leash than we think?

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

If Foles is his normal mediocre self & Trubisky continues to stink, he's not going to quit. He's going to be fired.

Normal mediocre Foles + top 5 defense might = playoffs. Which wouldn't get him fired.

I'll actually take bets from anyone right now that Pace/Nagy will not be fired after this season.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Normal mediocre Foles + top 5 defense might = playoffs. Which wouldn't get him fired.

I'll actually take bets from anyone right now that Pace/Nagy will not be fired after this season.

They won't, but that says more about the organization that what they have learned.

I think they need to go sub 6-10 to get fired.

The only way I could see them going 7-9 and better and still getting fired is if the QB position is a mess again.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't understand. He'd quit instead? O.o

No, he would stick with whatever QB played well enough to get him into the playoffs. He isn't going to willingly chuck a QB that gets him to the playoffs so he can draft another unknown.

Head Shaking GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

1 hour ago, G08 said:

This would be the first time Pace would be drafting a QB for an established offensive system.

Foles would be the first acquisition for said offensive system.

Unfortunately I do not think that would matter if he drafted another QB high that did not click very quickly.

If he drafts another QB and he doesn't look like "the guy" early he is probably done shortly after that. Most GMs do not get a 2nd chance after a Trubisky level miss.

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

The McCaskeys don't seem to care about anything until you lose the locker room. I think Pace has until he becomes a joke. He's built a strong culture and hired a publicly liked coach. I wonder if they have a longer leash than we think?

Maybe, but I think a half the fan base is already done with Pace. They have seen enough and he has missed on so many big picks that they do not need to see more.

Another losing season and I think that the fans will be in a similar spot with Nagy.

If that happens the ownership will start to take notice. George listens and hears a lot and while they do not want to make a move repeated failure to meet expectations and the revenue that is lost because of that will be pretty obvious.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Maybe, but I think a half the fan base is already done with Pace. They have seen enough and he has missed on so many big picks that they do not need to see more.

Another losing season and I think that the fans will be in a similar spot with Nagy.

If that happens the ownership will start to take notice. George listens and hears a lot and while they do not want to make a move repeated failure to meet expectations and the revenue that is lost because of that will be pretty obvious.

If you expect fans to stop filling the seats because of a 7-9 season or 8-8 your kidding yourself. The last paragraph is just a pipe dream. That "half" the fan base will still show up. In the end he shouldn't listen to them. Base it on results. I saw Bears fans wanting Nagy fired after the 2018 season on 670 The Score page. 

If they go 3-13 then they should all be gone. Anything in the 500 range and up they should be back. I'm tired of changing execs and coaches. That's the way the league has been shifting the past few years. 

Edited by GOGRIESE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Right. My assumption was no playoffs. In your scenario he stays because you can't fire a guy after making the playiffs

37 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

If you expect fans to stop filling the seats because of a 7-9 season or 8-8 your kidding yourself. The last paragraph is just a pipe dream. That "half" the fan base will still show up. In the end he shouldn't listen to them. Base it on results. I saw Bears fans wanting Nagy fired after the 2018 season on 670 The Score page. 

If they go 3-13 then they should all be gone. Anything in the 500 range and up they should be back. I'm tired of changing execs and coaches. That's the way the league has been shifting the past few years. 

It is based on results. Fans stop showing up to mediocre teams who do not meet expectations.

It happened to Fox and expectations were way lower for him. They were having 10-15k no shows the year he was fired.

Edited by WindyCity

27 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Remember that an 8-8 record may now be good enough to make the playoffs. It's a lower bar now.

IMO Pace and Nagy will be around beyond next season and beyond Trubisky. I think the most likely outcome is the Bears are looking for both a veteran and a developmental QB next offseason.

Foles  will be here in 2021 if he wins the starting job this season.

I think Pace and Nagy will be around for awhile, I am just not convinced that is a good thing.

• Like 2

For years we talked about entering the modern NFL and not living in the past.

We have a GM who cannot evaluate QBs and cannot build an offense.

We are right where we were 10 years ago and  15 years ago, and 20 years ago, and for most of our lifetimes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You are exaggerating the negative consequences of the tag. It gets used 10 times and offseason by all teams and has no observable negative impact.

I am interested in a time when the tag caused all of these disruptive issues you are talking about?

Who was the last QB to play under the tag?