Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
malagabears

Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

Recommended Posts

Let’s not fool ourselves guys - the difference between an average GM and a really good one is very small. Pace is an average GM. But, with ONE more hit on the QB pick he’d be resoundingly considered a good one. With the QB pick having been a hit (even a moderate one, with Mitch having been Garoppoloish on the field) instead of a miss and with everything else the past 6 years personnel wise being exactly the same this is a team built to contend right damn now, and for a while. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I get where you're coming from, but again, after years of watching dogs*** to average, we deserve to get to watch a good QB. If they had Mahomes we wouldn't be upset. If they had Wilson, same thing. 

You see I think you're wrong. I think this fanbase would find something wrong with any quarterback we would have chose and choose.  History had proven that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, G08 said:

Hold on now... Pace told ownership this was going to take a while and he had to rip everything down to the studs. Which he did. How is this any different other than my obvious attempt to be dense?

I'm not holding him accountable for the Fox era, but do not forget that he took the worst defense in Chicago Bears history and in 3 seasons made them top 10, and by year 4 they were ranked #1 in the NFL. That's outstanding work no matter how you dice it. Playoff appearance in year 4 with, and give me a break here, what should have been a W save for a piece of crap kicker (yes, Pace signed Parkey blah blah blah).

And that's fine and he did tear it all down, and in 6 years he's created a great defense, which is wonderful. What he hasn't done is put together an offense even close to respectable. The Cubs don't win in 2016 if the starting pitching & bullpen are good but they don't have Rizzo, Bryant, Contreras and Baez. The Bears offense is gross, and again he's had 6 years to do... what exactly... on that side of the ball?

It's easy to blame Parkey, and yes I'll forever hate him, but the Bears scored 15 points that game. 15, against a bottom third D, because they had nobody to make a play offensively except for Robinson.

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

The vitriol for Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy for some fans has become laughable.

Do you think we are the Patriots? The Packers? **** we aren't even the 49ers, guys.

 

We have young, developing leadership that HAS PROVEN to have formulas that work in this league. Can they be better? Absolutely. You don't just throw a hissy fit and fire everyone because you don't have a Super Bowl yet. Let him continue to build this team, let Nagy settle into his role of being a head coach and see where things can go.

Maybe people have short memories, but I have ZERO desire to go back to the Angelo days, let alone the Emery days.

I don't hate Pace. I don't think he's a top 10 GM though. I'm actually very optimistic about Nagy. I think he's a great leader and a better play caller than most give him credit for. I think he's been dealt a bad hand and can't do what he wants due to, again, the lack of good players.

You say "hissy fit" like it's been a year or two. Pace has had 6 years. If you aren't going to blame him for the Fox years that's fine, but that was still him drafting and still not finding offensive talent. Again in your eyes, since you're excluding those years, Pace has had 1-2 years, but in my eyes he has had much longer. I don't want to fire him if they win 7+ games, but another season at or below .500 is pathetic. I really don't want him near the next QB selection based on his track record so far.

(imo the Angelo days weren't much different than these years. It can be argued his first 6 drafts were far superior than Pace's, and assuming the Bears don't win the NFC this year, it can be argued his first 6 years were better than Pace's, too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GBHalas said:

You see I think you're wrong. I think this fanbase would find something wrong with any quarterback we would have chose and choose.  History had proven that. 

Like who, though? I was a huge Cutler guy, but watching him turn the ball over constantly got old fast. Every fan base at times gets pessimistic with their QB even if they're great. Seahawks fans wish Wilson wouldn't hold the ball so much. Go read the Packers forum here; half of them hate Rodgers. A few Pats' fans weren't upset that Brady left. But if the Bears had a good or better QB here that was consistently good, the fan base would be thrilled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

You say "hissy fit" like it's been a year or two. Pace has had 6 years. If you aren't going to blame him for the Fox years that's fine, but that was still him drafting and still not finding offensive talent. Again in your eyes, since you're excluding those years, Pace has had 1-2 years, but in my eyes he has had much longer. I don't want to fire him if they win 7+ games, but another season at or below .500 is pathetic. I really don't want him near the next QB selection based on his track record so far.

6 years includes the Fox era, where he was tearing things down. We can agree that he has not brought in enough offensive talent (I still hate Kevin White), but I will argue that Allen Robinson, David Montgomery, Cody Whitehair, James Daniels, etc are solid pieces. What our issue is right now is the trigger man (QB) and health (Miller, Burton/Shaheen).

This year will play a large role in shaping my view of the Pace/Nagy dynamic. They already made a slight admission in trading for Foles, which to me was a brilliant move, now let's see how it all plays out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You know that's not fair. Come on, dude. They hired Theo and literally told the fan base "we are going to trade our vets, intentionally blow for a few years as we restock our farm, and once we do so, we're going to spend and win." In 6 years Theo won a championship. In 6 years Pace hasn't won a playoff game. The comparisons couldn't be more off.

I was unaware that it was Pace's fault Parkey missed a game-winning FG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Let’s not fool ourselves guys - the difference between an average GM and a really good one is very small. Pace is an average GM. But, with ONE more hit on the QB pick he’d be resoundingly considered a good one. With the QB pick having been a hit (even a moderate one, with Mitch having been Garoppoloish on the field) instead of a miss and with everything else the past 6 years personnel wise being exactly the same this is a team built to contend right damn now, and for a while. 

If you go by the opinions on this board, Belichick is the only good GM in the league. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I was unaware that it was Pace's fault Parkey missed a game-winning FG. 

It is Pace's fault for signing him & bringing in no competition during the year when he clearly was not only a headcase but bad. Parkey also made his first 3 FG's that day, because the offense naturally couldn't get the ball into the endzone.

It is his fault for putting together an offense that scored 1 TD in a home game against the ~20th rated D.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, G08 said:

6 years includes the Fox era, where he was tearing things down. We can agree that he has not brought in enough offensive talent (I still hate Kevin White), but I will argue that Allen Robinson, David Montgomery, Cody Whitehair, James Daniels, etc are solid pieces. What our issue is right now is the trigger man (QB) and health (Miller, Burton/Shaheen).

This year will play a large role in shaping my view of the Pace/Nagy dynamic. They already made a slight admission in trading for Foles, which to me was a brilliant move, now let's see how it all plays out.

Agree on Robinson. Cohen's had some moments. Whitehair is solid. The jury is still out on Miller, Daniels and Montgomery imo.

That's fair. I can agree with paragraph 2.

Edited by beardown3231

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It is Pace's fault for signing him & bringing in no competition during the year when he clearly was not only a headcase but bad. Parkey also made his first 3 FG's that day, because the offense naturally couldn't get the ball into the endzone.

It is his fault for putting together an offense that scored 1 TD in a home game against the ~20th rated D.

Your missing the point. You blame Pace for not winning a playoff game when it was not Pace's fault Parkey missed a FG that won the game. And it was the offense that put together the game winning drive and put us in position to win. This is another case of people blaming coaches/FO"s for lack of execution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Your missing the point. You blame Pace for not winning a playoff game when it was not Pace's fault Parkey missed a FG that won the game. And it was the offense that put together the game winning drive and put us in position to win. This is another case of people blaming coaches/FO"s for lack of execution. 

If Parkey missed his first FG, no one would be talking about it, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

If Parkey missed his first FG, no one would be talking about it, right?

What the hell are you talking about? Stick with what actually happened and not hypothetical theories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

What the hell are you talking about? Stick with what actually happened and not hypothetical theories. 

It's easy to understand what I'm talking about. The offense scored 1 touchdown in a playoff game. How many teams win a playoff game when they score 1 touchdown? The offense was **** that game as it's been all of Pace's tenure (and most of our lives). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It's easy to understand what I'm talking about. The offense scored 1 touchdown in a playoff game. How many teams win a playoff game when they score 1 touchdown? The offense was **** that game as it's been all of Pace's tenure (and most of our lives). 

Your still either missing the point or being purposely obtuse. 

And FYI, QB's generally lose their first playoff game because the playoffs are a different animal from the regular season and it takes experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It's easy to understand what I'm talking about. The offense scored 1 touchdown in a playoff game. How many teams win a playoff game when they score 1 touchdown? The offense was **** that game as it's been all of Pace's tenure (and most of our lives). 

If we're going to bag on the offense's production in that playoff game, we have to be fair in that Burton was a last second scratch. He was involved in the game plan, Nagy had to scramble, and Cohen was taken away by Malcolm Jenkins. That was a cluster ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...