Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It appears that Nagy has already been empowered.

He got his QB in Foles.

Based on the interview yesterday it really seems like Kmet was a Nagy decision.

I think we should go all the way. Empower Nagy, get a personnel guy that he wants to work with, and give them a chance to build the offense.

Preach

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

Preach

We need to build an offense and find a QB, I just do not see what Ryan Pace brings to the table that is worth keeping around.

Thanks for the defense Ryan, but we need someone who can build an offense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Philly's D was a bottom third unit that season

If that's the case, then Pace truly sucks, because his best additions in the draft have been mid to late rounders therefore "luck." So besides signing Robinson & Hicks, drafting Whitehair and Goldman, and trading for Mack, what has he done that has required "skill?"

Again it is not all obe or the other...there is clearly both skill and luck involved in being a GM...I doubt any of them would say other wise...the point that I am trying to make as well as AZ has is you can't say a guy like Schneider is so much better than Pace because of skill...they have both had hits and misses...it's just Schneider got lucky with Wilson...Pace got unlucky with Trubisky...outside that what they have built is very similar and just goes to show how thin the margins are between being an average GM and being a great GM.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Again it is not all obe or the other...there is clearly both skill and luck involved in being a GM...I doubt any of them would say other wise...the point that I am trying to make as well as AZ has is you can't say a guy like Schneider is so much better than Pace because of skill...they have both had hits and misses...it's just Schneider got lucky with Wilson...Pace got unlucky with Trubisky...outside that what they have built is very similar and just goes to show how thin the margins are between being an average GM and being a great GM.

It is a combination of luck and skill I agree. Pace had a 66% chance of getting a good/great QB and missed, that is a skill issue and a failure of scouting and development as DL outlined in the other thread well. He got his pick of the QBs, no one interfered, it was his scouting and development plan.

I get that it seems unfair that you either get QB right or you do not for a huge part of the assessment of a GM, but that is how the NFL has set it up. They have made it so that the teams with QBs are heavily advantaged over the ones who do not.

If your GM couldn't find a good QB in the 80s, they could still be good and build a good team. That isn't the case now, you either have  a QB or you are waiting to catch lightning in a bottle.

In my opinion we have seen enough of Pace's work on offense to know that he isn't good enough to build that side of the ball.

We gave Jerry a decade when it was clear that he wasn't good at building an offense.

I do not need to see 4 more years of Pace putting a sub standard offensive roster together before I am ready to move on and find someone who can do work on that side of the ball.

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The point is either you hit on your QB or the QB spot takes you down, even more so in the top 5-10.

Yeah, that's pretty much it, in a nutshell. As everybody knows, I'm really excited about the Foles acquisition, but I don't think Pace should have stopped there. Eason, Fromm, or going for Gordon in the fourth/fifth. He decided to get another corner instead.  I also think that Love has a better chance of being a superior starter to Foles, which is why I would have preferred that route. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, that's pretty much it, in a nutshell. As everybody knows, I'm really excited about the Foles acquisition, but I don't think Pace should have stopped there. Eason, Fromm, or going for Gordon in the fourth/fifth. He decided to get another corner instead.  I also think that Love has a better chance of being a superior starter to Foles, which is why I would have preferred that route. 

We are in a black hole of QB investment.

There is a reason we struggle to build the offense, outside of Pace's bad evaluations, it is that we are constantly pouring more and more resources into the QB spot.

We are going to do it again next year where we will need to take a QB high, maybe even making a big trade up for one, more investment at QB to make up for already failed huge investment, and it leaves you lacking resources in other sports.

How nice would a 1st round OT look in 2021 or a 1st round speed WR like Jaylon Waddle? 

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

How nice would a 1st round OT look in 2021 or a 1st round speed WR like Jaylon Waddle? 

Could have had a starting caliber OT or G, and a speedy stud WR this year. Got a TE and a corner instead...o.O

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We are in a black hole of QB investment.

There is a reason we struggle to build the offense, outside of Pace's bad evaluations, it is that we are constantly pouring more and more resources into the QB spot.

We are going to do it again next year where we will need to take a QB high, maybe even making a big trade up for one, more investment at QB to make up for already failed huge investment, and it leaves you lacking resources in other sports.

Agree. I keep looking at 2021 prospects (kind of sad so early, but that's how it goes when I'm this pessimistic about an upcoming season) and the OT class and WR classes are so strong. Unfortunately that resource will likely go toward QB, barring something unforseen.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pace is like the contractor that keeps coming to you for more money and time to fix the issue that they screwed up fixing.

At some point you get a new contractor.

Yep. Got swings at WR, still have issues. Got swings at TE, still have issues. Got swings at QB, still have issues. Unfortunately we're at year 6 so now he's getting a second try. At what point do you find a new DH instead of the one hitting like Adam Dunn?

Edited by beardown3231

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Agree. I keep looking at 2021 prospects (kind of sad so early, but that's how it goes when I'm this pessimistic about an upcoming season) and the OT class and WR classes are so strong. Unfortunately that resource will likely go toward QB, barring something unforseen.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

Yep. Got swings at WR, still have issues. Got swings at TE, still have issues. Got swings at QB, still have issues. At what point do you find a new DH instead of the hitting like Adam Dunn?

His work on offense has not been good enough.

After seeing what he has invested at QB already for poor results, I am not sure I need to give him any more resources to squander.