Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

What are you basing that on? Is there something out there that indicates the Raiders hated Trubisky? 

Or are you simply arguing from a position of fanboy arrogance?

I believe Gruden admitted that they chose the Bears offer over the Packers offer because they felt that the Bears pick would be higher.  In 2017, Trubisky was coming off a 4-8 record as a starting QB with a sub-60% completion rate and an ANY/A of 5.05 yards.  Rodgers was 4-1 as the starting Q, with a 67% completion rate, and an ANY/A of 7+ until Barr broke his collarbone.  I think anyone with half a brain would choose Rodgers over Trubisky.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I believe Gruden admitted that they chose the Bears offer over the Packers offer because they felt that the Bears pick would be higher.  In 2017, Trubisky was coming off a 4-8 record as a starting QB with a sub-60% completion rate and an ANY/A of 5.05 yards.  Rodgers was 4-1 as the starting Q, with a 67% completion rate, and an ANY/A of 7+ until Barr broke his collarbone.  I think anyone with half a brain would choose Rodgers over Trubisky.

Again, this is false. It may be what you wanna believe as a Packers fan but it's not the truth. 

For one, by his own admission, Gruden was not even a part of the negotiation process. For two, as I said before, Reggie Jackson and company believed the Bears TEAM would be worse than the Packers TEAM. 

https://youtu.be/jJ-8rYMEzeU?t=200

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/how-the-bears-acquired-all-pro-khalil-mack

"As soon as we got to Bourbonnais, we start loosely talking about it," Lucas said. "I think we knew some stuff from a financial perspective that Oakland was going through, where it may be realistic they could trade this guy. But even at that point, this was late July, I think all of us were like, 'What are we doing? They're not going to trade this guy.'

"You've heard Ryan [Pace] and Matt [Nagy] say this, 'Persistence over resistance.' So Ryan would call Reggie [McKenzie], the GM in Oakland. Matt would call [Jon] Gruden. It was a topic all through camp. For the most part it was fun to talk about, but we need to focus on what we've got here.

"It all changed the Thursday night of our final preseason game versus Buffalo. We were home. Probably about an hour and a half to an hour before the game, we were in our operations box that we sit in for the game. So it's Champ, myself, [director football administration] Joey Laine and Ryan Pace, and then Mark is in our box when Mark's in town and not on the road.

"I am always the last to be anywhere. Last in the meeting … So I got up there about 50 minutes early to the kickoff and no one was in the box. I immediately was like, 'Oh, something's going down.' I knew as soon as Ryan and Joey came up, you could tell, they were talking and talking and it was like, 'Oh, this is going down.'

"What they were told that Thursday night was, 'Prepare your best offer for Friday. We're going to field offers from multiple teams that are interested and we're going to come to a decision by Friday night.'

"You have to remember that Friday is final cuts, which is an extremely hectic, chaotic time as it is, because we're scouring the 31 teams cutting 37 guys and that's all we do is scour those lists to see if any of those guys can potentially improve our 53-man roster and can the potentially be guys that we want to sign to our practice squad.

"So Champ, myself, our pro department, we're running around all day to get ready for everything that's going to happen. Joey, Ryan and Matt never came out of Ryan's office. Not once. We knew we were in it. I think we had an advantage because [the Raiders] wanted to get [Mack] out of the AFC, so I think being an NFC team, we got a pretty good chance. I don't think the Raiders thought we were going to be any good last year, so they wanted our first-round pick. So I think they played a part of it.

"Probably about 6 or 7 p.m. Friday night, the Raiders agreed to trade him to us. We'll send a fax to the organization saying we agree to the trade. We had 24 hours to get a deal done with Khalil. I would say three hours into it, probably about 10 p.m., Joey came in and said, 'We got a deal done.' So I think it ended up getting released via social media probably early Saturday morning, but we all knew 10 or 11 [Friday] night. Speaking only for myself, I knew I slept really well that night."

Mack made an immediate impact with the Bears, not only in his first game—returning an interception for a touchdown and forcing and recovering a fumble with a strip-sack against the Packers—but in his initial practice.

"Any time you get a chance to get that caliber of talent, it's extremely rare," Kelly said. "And the fact that his character matches his ability. His first day of practice, he comes out, he wins the first one-on-one so impressively that people stopped to see what was going on. The next rep, Aaron Lynch goes, and he gets stopped. And he's kind of jogging back and Khalil says, 'No, you've got to run.' Lynch runs. He's that type of tone-setter. You add a guy like that and it adds to the collective belief that we are for real and we are going after championships. That's the type of person and player he is."

Mack was voted to his fourth straight Pro Bowl and named first-team All-pro after leading the Bears with 12.5 sacks, a career-high six forced fumbles and 18 quarterback hits. He also ranked second on the team with 10 tackles-for-loss.

"I haven't stopped smiling since [the trade was made]," Sadowski said. "Because it's one of those things where everybody says, 'You gave up all this, all this, all this.' From a college perspective, there are some really good college players that we could have gotten in the first round, but nobody as great as him. So to give up those picks, to me it was a no-brainer. I might have even given up one more."

43 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I haven't seen that, but I would not at all be surprised he did say that. 

Doesn't prove the ridiculous point you're trying to make, though. Not even close. 

AS I HAVE SAID--Trubisky was a second year guy coming into a new system, off of a bad one. 

If you think this somehow gives you any kind of validation to your pet "TRUBISKY HAS ALWAYS SUCKED, AND EVERYONE WITH A BRAIN HAS ALWAYS KNOWN THIS!!!" argument, then I can say confidently that assertion is as ridiculous as the point it's trying to verify. 

There is ABSOLUTELY no verifiable proof to back up what you're saying. None. 

Get over it. 

The most bizarre part of your whole position is that it basically doesn't even matter anymore. At this point--who the **** cares? We don't. Why do you? 

Edited by Heinz D.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears have too many chips in the pot not to see the river card with MItch.

The schedule sets up that he has 3 easier defenses to start the season.

That cannot set up better.

Oh, man. I don't know. That actually kind of terrifies me. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

You have to see if he rebounds.

If it is close in camp I am starting 10, we need to see if he can be saved.

I'm simply worried acceptable performances against lower tier defenses will only delay an inevitable implosion...

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm simply worried acceptable performances against lower tier defenses will only delay an inevitable implosion...

Can't disagree with this.

If (and I say if) the Lions, Giants, and Falcons defenses are as bad as they were last year then this is a good opportunity for Mitch to build up some confidence going into the hardest stretch of the season against Brady, Vikes, Rams, GB, and Saints.  

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You have to see if he rebounds.

If it is close in camp I am starting 10, we need to see if he can be saved.

Yup.

Give him an average offensive line and let's see what he can do.*

*average offensive line = not getting decked on 3 step drops, RBs not getting hit after gaining 1 yard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

If the team saw it this way there wouldn’t be a QB competition. Also, the alternative is Nick Foles who has a longer documented history of inconsistent play than Mitch does. 

If Mitch gets the nod coming into the season they have to let him have a real run at keeping the job. It can’t be hyper reactionary. If they’re starting him week 1 just to bench him at halftime or after week 1 if the offense doesn’t immediately light it up then they’re doing a disservice to everyone both in the locker room and in the stands. 

Fans won’t, but SHOULD, have realistic expectations for what a good offense will look like though. If the expectation at QB is a constant highlight reel then the expectation is out of whack. Fans by and large seem to expect flawless execution all the time that just doesn’t happen even with great players. From 2002- 2016 Drew Brees threw 10+ INT in 14 of 15 seasons. Peyton Manning played 17 seasons and had just 1 season without 10+ INT (he threw 9 in 2006). Those two are as much lock first ballot HOF as anyone ever has been. My point in mentioning them is to say that mistakes happen in football. Real football isn’t Madden on rookie mode with stacked sliders. People need to understand that and factor it into their expectations. If Mitch gets picked off in the first quarter in week 1 then he gets picked off. Mistakes happen at every position. Blocks get missed. Wrong routes get run. Passes get dropped. Tackles get missed. Coverages get blown. That’s football. Frequency and context matter a great deal, and you can’t evaluate frequency in a vacuum. 

Assuming Mitch is under center week 1 he doesn’t have to be a star to keep the job IMO. What he needs is to be efficient and consistent. If he leads us to 23-24 points every week we should win most weeks. That puts our offense in the tier just above average in terms of scoring along with the offenses of the teams led in 2019 by Russell Wilson (24.7 ppg), Matt Ryan (23.8), Aaron Rodgers (23.6), Deshaun Watson (23.9), Carson Wentz (23.2) and Kirk Cousins (24.6). Get me 6 points a quarter. That is a realistic goal. If he can do that week in and week out then the job should be his and stay his.

Mitch doesn’t have to carry us all the time or even frequently. Hit a guy who’s open deep every once in a while for God’s sake, sure, but just as importantly and probably even more so find the guy who gets you 7 yards on 3rd and 5 more. Big plays are great and necessary, but being able to consistently stack first downs is more important. The truly great QBs pick you apart with efficiency. Most scoring drives aren’t the result of one explosive play. They’re mostly 8+ play, 60+ yard marches with multiple 3rd down conversions to get into scoring range. Mitch needs to make the normal plays that are there to be made and keep the chains moving consistently to put us in a position to win every week and, when called upon, come through in the clutch for us (which even his detractors should admit he has shown the ability to do).

Everything I said above about Mitch also applies to Foles if Foles is the guy week 1 too. We don’t need a hero at QB. We need an efficient QB who sets us up to win week in and week out. 

• Like 3

It's funny listening to the Hoge and Jahn's podcast. 

Jahns, who usually I am lock-step with 100% (he stole my Drew Brees argument, btw) thinks that acquiring Nick Foles was the equivalent of the Bears having "the towel" in their hand. All they need to do is throw it in and Trubisky is done.

Hoge is on the other side of the fence, which is where I am: He thinks that outside of Foles showing up Trubisky in camp on a daily/nightly basis, Trubisky likely will be given his final chance to save his career this season. He thinks that once you pull Trubisky / bench him, you basically have ended his career in Chicago.