2020 Surprise

Who is your pick for the player that will surprise everyone and play a more significant role than people expect? We have a strong history going back at least 30 years of people like Rod Smith, TD, Olandia Gary to AJ Johnson and Lindsay. 

my pick is Hamilton. People are talking about him like he’s a guaranteed camp cut but I think he’s the #3 WR on this team next year. Things started to click for him toward the end of the year and he seemed to have Locks trust. KJ will get his touches but his route running and drops mean that he’s at least a year away from being reliable on a down to down basis.

I’m predicting 30-40 catches, 300 yards, 5 TDs 

• Like 2

Juwan James.  It’s not a Q of his skills.  When he’s healthy he plays well.  It’s just a Q of staying healthy.  Obviously he’s starting - but more that he should play well and be a foundation piece when he’s out there. 

On the flip side - MG3 has played 14+ games 1x in his career.  We all know what Lindsay can do - but there’s a role for a pass catching RB when MG3 doesn’t play.   So let’s be bold with Khlafani Muhammad getting more touches than Booker did last year.  

Edited by Broncofan

If he comes back healthy, I think Bausby is a name to look out for. He looked really comfortable out there before his injury. I love watching DBs that are efficient with their movement; it looks like they aren't even trying because they are so smooth (Champ, Talib). 

Obviously I'm not saying Bausby is an all Pro but I thought he looked like a starting calibre outside CB at times.

• Like 2

So my first thought was Bausby as well. Probably have "appearance" bias, but he just looked like a really good player to me. If I had to guess (on limited intel) which corner would be the one to step up, it would be him. I am realllllyyyyy hoping one of the random corners is good. 

On offense it's tough to say a guy will surprise. Hamilton is a nice guess. I could see that. I've always thought Tim Patrick is pretty good, but definitely low ceiling. Like a Bennie Fowler type that can actually catch. How about Phillip Lindsay ends up having more carries than Melvin Gordon in 2020? Bolles could be the guy that makes a leap considering his issues would be correctable with most. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 7:17 PM, BroncoBruin said:

I like the Duke Dawson pick. Feels like the 5th and 6th DB spots are wide open and those guys will have opportunities to make plays. 

I see Dre’Mont emerging as a game wrecker. 

If Dre'Mont has been able to put on weight and get to the mid-upper 290's I'd agree. Playing DE in a two gapping 3-4 at 280 isn't going to cut it as a starter level player. He has the skills, he just needs to invest in the weight room to be able to compete at a full time basis. I'm hopeful for him! 

My surprise pick is going to be Trey Marshall. He's going to get enough playing time to have an impact and the moves we made tells me our FO has a lot of confidence in him. Parks is gone and we didn't pick up a S in FA or the draft. 

I think honestly one or either of Jeremiah Attaochu or Justin Hollins will step up in a big way, even with Chubb coming back full strength. Elway has always liked having more than just two productive edge rushers and I could see Attaochu getting at least six sacks and having a more prominent role. 

• Like 2

Man, I forgot Hollins was even on this team. Too bad he doesn't have ILB instincts because getting off the bus he looks like the ideal rangy ILB, but his mentality and actual functional talents are all projecting to EDGE. 

I think on offense Ja'Wuan James is going to cement that RT spot in a way that we have not seen in years. On defense, I think Dre'Mont is going to be an animal. He is going to take one of the starting 34DE spots get that snap % up from 27 to a Derek Wolfe like 60+%. 

I think Dre'Mont and Agim have a great chance to be future 60% snap count 34DE's in our attacking scheme. They don't hit that 6'5 mark that most people want in a 34DE, but that benchmark is antiquated. They both have excellent quickness-to-power with long arms and good hand fighting. I think they are going to be a bookend duo for a while. I think Agim will take a Dre'Mont like role this season around that 25-30% snap count and surprise. 

• Like 1

Bausby I think will win the starting #2 CB role and have a good season

Strnad I think could challenge for snaps at ILB, perhaps playing some time ahead of Todd Davis.

Levante Bellamy at RB I think may end up making the team over Royce Freeman. I’m sure I read he got the most guaranteed money of all out UDFAs this year.

Edited by paul-mac

I really like Malik Reed. The “problem” (not that it’s a problem at all) is that with Chubb back, Reed’s snap count probably has a pretty low ceiling. Maybe Vic moves him inside on passing downs, but that wouldn’t be the right spot for him, as he’s clearly more of a speed guy than a power rusher. Quality depth at least. 

But you know, I’ve been watching Ojemudia a lot, and I think I see it. His feel with his eyes in the backfield is real good, and he consistently gets real deep in his zone without being particularly susceptible to RB swings or screens. Fills in *hard* in run support. Ideal zone corner, or safety in more of a man defence. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s playing 75% of defensive snaps in the second half of the season. 

• Like 2