2020 Surprise

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think that Lock and Mahomes are going to be the next great inter division QB rivalry, made even more fun as both of them are just absolutely great, entertaining human beings. 

I think Lock and Mahomes are going to be the next Brady Manning type rivalry and what's nice is they're in the same division.

I know it's early to make that statement but I felt that about Lock all along. He's got swagger he came from a 4 year starter from the sec and he always kept Mizz in games even though you knew they were undermanned.

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

If Lock were on any other team I wouldn’t be able to stand him.  Nor as a teammate of his would he be someone I’d gravitate toward, but that’s just me.  He’s a class clown type and that’s always annoyed me. 

He is competitive though, which is all that matters.  

Niners were down in the Superbowl against the Bengals and Montana points to the stands and says there's John Candy. It's guys like Lock that can lighten the mood that comes up huge in games where moments matter the most.

If Peyton Manning likes Drew I like Drew. I mean who doesn't love 6'5 QBs with laser rocket arms being a mentor to our QB.

48 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Niners were down in the Superbowl against the Bengals and Montana points to the stands and says there's John Candy. It's guys like Lock that can lighten the mood that comes up huge in games where moments matter the most.

If Peyton Manning likes Drew I like Drew. I mean who doesn't love 6'5 QBs with laser rocket arms being a mentor to our QB.

No I get it, it’s just not for me.  Everyone has their own preferences and what not.  All his dancing and buzz light year stuff annoys the hell out of me haha and I 100% guarantee there are players who think the exact same on the team.

It doesn’t matter though because he’s competitive and tough.  I think it was the Texans game where he took a nasty shot and had a bloody nose and just kept coming.  That’s what is impressive to me.

The dancing stuff is all fine and dandy until it isn’t.  Until the team goes on a losing streak and he continues to do it.  Or is on the sideline doing it and then Denver blows a lead.  No one cared last year because the team finished well. 

And I’m not saying I don’t like Drew.  I just don’t care for all that stuff.  

Edited by germ-x

And it probably will happen.  I can see it now.  Denver’s up a couple scores.  He does something weird on the sideline or after a big play.  Throws a couple INTs and Denver ends up losing.  ESPN will be showing.  Denver media will be talking about it.  Posters in this forum will be saying he needs to mature.......

Lock doesn’t need to do any of that to be a good QB or leader or whatever one wants to call it.  IMO it’d just be better to completely avoid it blowing up into a potential distraction and something he has to answer for.  Say something funny on the sideline to keep it light or show enthusiasm....no reason to do something that’s going to draw bunch of attention.

• Like 1

I mean, he is 23 after all. Trying to turn him into a Peyton robot QB just isn't in the cards. You let him be a kid and mature at his own rate. Your sorta comparing him to a Baker type which he just isn't IMO. 

Its sorta odd, but his dancing and sideline behavior doesn't seem to be in a showboat fashion. Its him celebrating to himself and his teammates rather than belittling the competition or even showboating for the fans. That's my take at least. 

Regardless, just having a QB where the main offseason discussion is his little dance rap from a few months ago rather than whether the guy can throw far enough or digest a playbook is SUCH a breath of fresh air lol. Purgatory really is over. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I mean, he is 23 after all. Trying to turn him into a Peyton robot QB just isn't in the cards. You let him be a kid and mature at his own rate. Your sorta comparing him to a Baker type which he just isn't IMO. 

Its sorta odd, but his dancing and sideline behavior doesn't seem to be in a showboat fashion. Its him celebrating to himself and his teammates rather than belittling the competition or even showboating for the fans. That's my take at least. 

Regardless, just having a QB where the main offseason discussion is his little dance rap from a few months ago rather than whether the guy can throw far enough or digest a playbook is SUCH a breath of fresh air lol. Purgatory really is over. 

I’m not comparing him to anyone.  I don’t think he’s a bad guy or anything or that his actions compare to Mayfield’s.  I just don’t see any positive to it.  As you said it’s him celebrating, but it’s excessive enough that it’s on social media with meme’s made of it.  I recall there being a segment about his Buzz Lightyear celebration.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s malicious or taunting or anything, but I also don’t think it motivates his team or anything like that either.  In all honesty it’s him being a goofball.  I’m not against it, but do it in the locker room or practice.

As I said I can already see how this plays out.  Him acting goofy on the sideline with a lead.  Going out and playing poorly and losing the game.  ESPN is showing it, local news is on it.  Lock, his teammates, and coaches having to answer for it (which may not be positive if some of them don’t like it) and then we’ll see Broncos fans saying he needs to mature.  

Simple solution....stop doing it in front of the world because it’s not something positively impacting your team on gamedays.

4 hours ago, germ-x said:

No I get it, it’s just not for me.  Everyone has their own preferences and what not.  All his dancing and buzz light year stuff annoys the hell out of me haha and I 100% guarantee there are players who think the exact same on the team.

It doesn’t matter though because he’s competitive and tough.  I think it was the Texans game where he took a nasty shot and had a bloody nose and just kept coming.  That’s what is impressive to me.

The dancing stuff is all fine and dandy until it isn’t.  Until the team goes on a losing streak and he continues to do it.  Or is on the sideline doing it and then Denver blows a lead.  No one cared last year because the team finished well. 

And I’m not saying I don’t like Drew.  I just don’t care for all that stuff.  

Chock it up to a kid being a kid. I get what you're saying, he's kind of a goofball, doesn't look like a natural dancer lol.  But, I don't think he's the type to dance or rap when the teams down.  Think of him as a guy who just wears his emotions on his sleeves, peeved when the teams down excited and goofy when they're up.

He'll grow, he's competitive, but doesn't seem to have a mean bone in his body.  I just see a guy who cares, and that's more than I've seen from any Elway draft pick at QB thus far.  Honestly I've realized over the last few years, especially in the NFL, getting guys who care about winning and their on field performance when they're making this kinda money is half the battle.

The quote about getting weapons in the draft but needing to go to work went a long way with me.

Edited by elliot878

2 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Chock it up to a kid being a kid. I get what you're saying, he's kind of a goofball, doesn't look like a natural dancer lol.  But, I don't think he's the type to dance or rap when the teams down.  Think of him as a guy who just wears his emotions on his sleeves, peeved when the teams down excited and goofy when they're up.

He'll grow, he's competitive, but doesn't seem to have a mean bone in his body.  I just see a guy who cares, and that's more than I've seen from any Elway draft pick at QB thus far.

The quote about getting weapons in the draft but needing to go to work went a long way with me.

Between the whistles, he really is a Jay Cutler clone. But after the whistle, they seem like complete opposites. 

47 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Between the whistles, he really is a Jay Cutler clone. But after the whistle, they seem like complete opposites. 

I don't get this comp the way he moves is exactly like Jay. But even as a rookie he's way smarter with the football, has better footwork as a rookie than Jay ever did. And I never see him sulk and put his head down.

Jay seemed to force balls in and than sulk I'll never forget that chargers 08 game. I will say Drew has a lot more to work with

Cutler is like Uncle Rico I bet I can throw the football over them mountains until he can't. That throw against the Vikings when he was with the bears was phenomenal though. He just didn't seem very coachable unless A Gase or Shanny was there.

Drew seems very coachable takes what the defense gives but has a little gun slinger. I see a lot of Favre tbh.Drew threw a ton on the run last year and always had his eyes down field looking to make a play. The growth from his pocket awareness in the college game to the pros is amazing. He's a top half of the league guy in pocket mobility and movement atm in my opinion and I may be selling him short too small of a sample.

Just now, thebestever6 said:

I don't get this comp the way he moves is exactly like Jay. But even as a rookie he's way smarter with the football, has better footwork as a rookie than Jay ever did. And I never see him sulk and put his head down.

Jay seemed to force balls in and than sulk I'll never forget that chargers 08 game. I will say Drew has a lot more to work with

The sulking would be after the whistle, which I said was night and day difference between the two. But the footwork is identical. The arm talent is identical. The ability to throw while on the move is identical. The sloppy mechanics with arm slot and release points are extremely similar. I don’t think Jay failed because of his abilities *at all*, he just didn’t seem committed to either his team or to improving himself. He didn’t seem to enjoy the game. Drew Lock seems to be on the other end of that spectrum.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think Drew is far superior in this category maybe it's because Jay Cutler had some brutal Offensive lines

Cutler playing in Shanny’s bootleg offence was beautiful. He got real stone-footed as he aged in Chicago (and those o-lines did him no favours.)

• Like 2