2020 Surprise

6 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Cutler playing in Shanny’s bootleg offence was beautiful. He got real stone-footed as he aged in Chicago (and those o-lines did him no favours.)

Oh I completely agree but that three year stint in Denver seems so miniscule it's easy to forget the long throw bootlegs like that one against Arizona 

They were doing more than just that with Drew last year though they did a bunch of ride and react plays where he runs with the running backs than makes decisions to throw to the outlet didn't really even see that in Jay's prime.

I also don't know if it's release or not because the release does look very similar but Drew seems to be more quick twitched getting rid of the football than Jay can't say it's he's better at reading defenenses. 

Maybe it's spatial ability it takes an elite skill set to see a guy covered down field and to know there's a one foot gap to fit the ball through and than do it. Some have a 6th Sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if the last few drafts and FA pickups are his doing then I'd say he well deserves it.

Ya, someone somewhere is doing something right and there is no guarantee its 100% on Elway. There is a very reasonable chance that Russell has alot of input on the current streak of good decisions, notably draft day decisions. 

On 5/29/2020 at 4:57 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah it seems pretty clear that Matt Russell will be the GM and likely takes over in 2022. 

Good, I want somebody who is familier and can keep the same philosophies. Last thing I want (same for owner) is some random outside person come in and change the flow.

11 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Big question - is this Elway's decision or did it come from Ellis?

Elway/Ellis seem to work in lockstep so I bet it was a joint decision or at least with some input from Elway. You can tell Elway is setting the table for somebody else to keep going. I think a big part of his decision to retire will be finding a franchise QB before he goes so he doesnt leave with a stain on his resume. 

• Like 1

I still don't trust Russell. One, he came over here to be a yes-man for McDaniels. Why was he retained the rest  - Kidd, Xanders, Mac's whole staff - were all fired? 

We don't know how much pull or influence he really has. It's clear he's the right-hand man for Elway but what has his impact been? I've never heard "Matt Russell pounded the table" for player X or decision Y or whatever, has anyone else? The one thing I have heard is that he was a major champion of bringing in Vance, given their CU ties, and that really, really worries me. If Russell is eventually the GM is he going to hire coaches and sign players who either a) have ties to the Patriot way or b) went to CU? 

Also, the tweet from Koenigsberg is speculative and he''s also a CU guy. 

If Ellis is still in charge when Elway decides to move on it wouldn't surprise me to see them simply elevate Russell to GM.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:53 AM, AnAngryAmerican said:

If Ellis is still in charge when Elway decides to move on it wouldn't surprise me to see them simply elevate Russell to GM.

Are there murmurs that Elway is preparing to move on?  If so, when should we expect it?